Ok, done thinking. No, it should be only the brick removed that will be red. In the classic case you mention with the jumper plate, 1x1 cone and light saber blade, only the light saber blade will removed and colored red, i.e. the Unplaceable file would look like below (a mockup since the blade would be removed if opened like this).

That doesn't really make sense, if only the removed brick was coloured red you'd never see them (since opening it would remove those bricks). I've definitely found errors in the past by seeing where the red parts are, so there must be more to it than that.

That doesn't really make sense, if only the removed brick was coloured red you'd never see them (since opening it would remove those bricks). I've definitely found errors in the past by seeing where the red parts are, so there must be more to it than that.

Well, then I'm lost, because that's how I figured it worked :blush:

Does anyone have an old UnplaceableBrick-file that displays a red brick?

I opened a UnplaceableBrick-file today and it had only Yellow bricks, there was any Red brick in the file.

The file was of a LDD model of the set 6531 - Flame Chaser.

The file really contains red bricks (if you open it outside LDD, material is 21, which is red color, others have 24 which is yellow color), but when you open it in LDD, LDD treats it as any other file - it means, it displays warning and red bricks are removed and therefore not seen.

This means, that if the LDD Manager can be used to modify the UnplaceableBrick file, it is usefull to remove yellow bricks to see the red ones when the modified UnplaceableBrick file will be opened. If the red bricks conflict with each other, the whole process has to be repeated after LDD creates new UnplaceableBrick file.

Anyone notice a drastic increase in file loading times? When I was using LDD to create my nayeli moc I thought it was just because of the techniques I was using, but now that I re-opened my city files after the update, I've noticed that the load time is significantly longer, mid-way between LDD 3 load times and 4 load times.

Edit: That train wheel piece! NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! :angry: I'm a little late on noticing it, lol, but I've used that on most of my lamp-posts in my city. WHY????? It's such a useful and important piece.

Please update LDD FAST and get that piece back in, oh creators!

For now, I return to using previous LDD version....

Edited by alienwar9

well that didn't work. Anyone know where LDD stores its brick pallet update right before it installs it? I swapped my LDD program files, but as soon as I open LDD it installs the new update.

well that didn't work. Anyone know where LDD stores its brick pallet update right before it installs it? I swapped my LDD program files, but as soon as I open LDD it installs the new update.

You have to rename db.lif file stored in AppData folder (the same folder where preferences.ini file is).

How long has 55300 "closed firm key" had a connection point up in the hex hole? Glad to have that fixed.

Since this version I think. (didn't someone report this as an error, I have a vague memory of it?).

It is a tricky one though, since a stud will be allowed to connect from both sides at the same time, something that is not "allowed" with real LEGO (i.e. illegal technique). (3176 for example has the same type of "problem"). So be careful if you intend to use the 55300 in you LDD MOCs with two studs connected at the same time, since this may in the future render an error when opening the file. Attaching a stud on one side only should be future proof though.

You have to rename db.lif file stored in AppData folder (the same folder where preferences.ini file is).

Should just renaming the file anything work? I tried renaming it and when I started up LDD it just created a new db.lif file. I even tried LDD in offline mode and it still created the new db.lif file.

I'm guessing there is some install file somewhere in some temp folder or something, but my hard-drives are such a mess I don't know what temp folder to look in :tongue:

Y

Should just renaming the file anything work? I tried renaming it and when I started up LDD it just created a new db.lif file. I even tried LDD in offline mode and it still created the new db.lif file.

I'm guessing there is some install file somewhere in some temp folder or something, but my hard-drives are such a mess I don't know what temp folder to look in :tongue:

Yes, rename or delete should be enough. When new version is installed, LDD generates new db.lif. When trying to return to previous version, if the db.lif is not deleted manually, bricks. look like in new version. So when I needed to return to 4.1.7, I deleted the db.lif file, copied program files from the version 4.1.7 (including the Assets.lif file) and the bricks were the 4.1.7. Without removing the db.lif, it looked like 4.1.8.

You said the you copied the 4.1.7 program files so the delete of db.lif file is the only step you missed.

Y

Yes, rename or delete should be enough. When new version is installed, LDD generates new db.lif. When trying to return to previous version, if the db.lif is not deleted manually, bricks. look like in new version. So when I needed to return to 4.1.7, I deleted the db.lif file, copied program files from the version 4.1.7 (including the Assets.lif file) and the bricks were the 4.1.7. Without removing the db.lif, it looked like 4.1.8.

You said the you copied the 4.1.7 program files so the delete of db.lif file is the only step you missed.

Actually, I copied both the program files and the appdata files, and it still starts up, takes a little while at the intro screen while saying "installing bricks" and then runs with the 4.1.8 bricks.

I've deleted the db.lif file, I've renamed it, I've copied the old db.lif file, and it still creates the new 4.1.8 one. I've even tried to go back to 4.0.2, and it still installs the new brick pallet. And I've tried these also with offline mode. Tis not my day :tongue:

Actually, I copied both the program files and the appdata files, and it still starts up, takes a little while at the intro screen while saying "installing bricks" and then runs with the 4.1.8 bricks.

I've deleted the db.lif file, I've renamed it, I've copied the old db.lif file, and it still creates the new 4.1.8 one. I've even tried to go back to 4.0.2, and it still installs the new brick pallet. And I've tried these also with offline mode. Tis not my day :tongue:

What happens if you delete all the 4.1.8 files and then start up LDD with Internet access disabled? (like, turning off your Wi-Fi or unplugging your Ethernet cable)

:blush: Ummm, I feel super stupid now. I accidentally was deleting the wrong program files folder. I kinda have 2 hard-drives, both with program file folders, and both with LDD installed on them for some reason. Somehow LDD changed the short-cut link to my other hard-drive, so I was looking in the wrong place the whole time :laugh:

And I only found this out because I took your advise but went a little further, and deleted ALL of LDD files (even the LDD application) and then tried LDD and it worked :oh:

Whoops :grin:

Quick question: the previous version changed the view mode screenshotting to include the background, but now it's been changed back to transparent (redundantly, considering that transparent background screencapping is now available in build mode). Is it possible to re-enable this somehow? A diorama I'm doing would depend on it, since it also includes this new piece.

Good update otherwise, nice to see some more old bricks included.

You can take a screenshot of your screen instead of using the LDD screenshot tool. (Ctrl/Cmd+K) It's Cmd+Shift+3 on Mac which sticks the picture on your desktop, on PC the only method I know of is the Print Screen button, which copies the screenshot to the clipboard from where you can paste it into an image editor.

You can take a screenshot of your screen instead of using the LDD screenshot tool. (Ctrl/Cmd+K) It's Cmd+Shift+3 on Mac which sticks the picture on your desktop, on PC the only method I know of is the Print Screen button, which copies the screenshot to the clipboard from where you can paste it into an image editor.

True, but simply hitting Ctrl-K in LDD was far more convenient than Printscreening, going into an image editor, cutting off the toolbars, and then manually saving. Bit of a hassle, that.

I tried checking preferences.ini to see if there was an option to enable it there, but no such luck.

Oh well, back to the manual method for now.

on PC the only method I know of is the Print Screen button, which copies the screenshot to the clipboard from where you can paste it into an image editor.

On Windows 7 you can also use the Snipping Tool, which lets you select a window and get a screen grab of that (or alternatively a user-defined portion of the screen). I think it might have been in Vista too, as well as one of the XP Tablet edition add-on packs.

On Windows 7 you can also use the Snipping Tool, which lets you select a window and get a screen grab of that (or alternatively a user-defined portion of the screen). I think it might have been in Vista too, as well as one of the XP Tablet edition add-on packs.

I didn't know that. Mac has a similar tool called Grab, though admittedly I've never used it.

On my windows PCs I use HoverSnap: it is simple, light, configurable, portable.

55423.png

'Train Wheel for RC Train with Technic Axlehole' is no longer in LDD unfortunately... :cry_sad:

I was just told that it will be added back in the next brickset database update, that hopefully may be early this fall (at least we don't have to wait until April 2012!). There was some kind of problem with it. Because it is a composite part with a rubber band and a wheel it should have been a "merged part". Even got a picture of it:

EDIT: I'm moving this reply from the "wanted bricks" to the "4.1.8 release" topic since the wheel was just temporarily removed from LDD.

post-4755-131443176149.png