Anio

UCS Scale Sebulba's Podracer

EDIT :

Professional building instruction available here :

You can email me at setechnic@gmail.com

/EDIT

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Hello everyone,

Et voilà ! My latest UCS MOC is finished. And it is the podracer of Sebulba.

6021124471_497ed79475_b.jpgUCS Sebulba's Podracer by Anio, sur Flickr

6021678092_63ea5ac2e3_b.jpgUCS Sebulba's Podracer by Anio, sur Flickr

With my UCS AT-TE, it is the most complex MOC I've been working on so far. And in fact, when I consider how tricky the build is, I think this MOC didn't took me that much time to design.

Note that I've painted some parts. Indeed, they did not exist in the right colors. I do not feel guilty at all about that, even though I'm a purist. I just paint parts to have the part in the right colors. I did not use paint to add details or create new colorst.

I will replace these painted parts by real Lego parts as soon as they are produced. :)

Here is a picture of the structure of each engine :

33.JPG

Some more pictures :

07.JPG

6021125703_f4cb9899ef_b.jpgUCS Sebulba's Podracer by Anio, sur Flickr

To do all the details, I've used DBG, LBG, copper, and few tan and dark tan pieces. I think the final result works pretty well. On each sides, there is the flamethrower. Both can be opened. I did the energy binder with transpurple parts. It is not exactly the right color (trans-pink would be better), but I had no choice given that the parts I needed have never been produced in trans-purple.

6021125573_dc2f046d93_b.jpgUCS Sebulba's Podracer by Anio, sur Flickr

6021678828_e79b402467_b.jpgUCS Sebulba's Podracer by Anio, sur Flickr

26.JPG

View from the rear :

20.JPG

The pod was very fun to build. And I must say that it is much smaller than what I expected. In fact, the engines are sooooo much bigger than the pod.

The pod is not very complex, but it has all the necessary details and the right colors at the right places. :)

The minifig is a bit too small. But it is not such a big deal. :)

6021125005_f5533bb5f0_b.jpgUCS Sebulba's Podracer by Anio, sur Flickr

Depending on the ressources we use, the size of Anakin's and Sebulba's podracers vary a lot. Sometimes their engines seem to have the same size, and sometimes, the engines of Sebulba are much bigger than those of Anakin. So, I would say that my podracer of Sebulba is more or less at scale with the pod of Anakin.

If you want to know more about the building process or anything else, let me know. ;)

And a video of the MOC :

Hope you like it !

:wub_drool: Lovely, lovely work. I don't really mind the painted parts, because they look terrific in this model. And the greebles! :wub: !! The variety of colors really makes the greebs on this one perfect. Great work with the techniques, too.

I'm sure some expect me to say this, and I will say, I wish it had fewer studs, but that does nothing much to detract from the impressiveness of the model.

That is fantastic!!!! First off your photoshopped card, looks legit.

I love the greebling on the engines and the size is just awesome. I really can't think of anything to say to express how good it looks, I mean it looks just like the original except blown up to a UCS scale.

If TLG has any sense, they'll contact you to license this and make it!

This is a fantastic model! I think my favorite photo it the on looking into the backs of the engines, I liked the thruster design with the wedge pieces.

The greebling is very realistic, and the pod itself is very well done. Great MOC :thumbup:

Gorgeous. Presonally, I'm not one for UCSs, normally, but this isn't a giant chunk of gray/black, so I'll have to comment on how awesome this is. Firstly, I'm stunned that you managed to build this, given the hard to find colors. I especially applaud you on the greebling. The engines are very well done, as well. Fantastic work.

And as usual, nice plaquecard.

I hate the prequels, especially Episode I, but this is fantastic. The engine greebling, size, accuracy....it looks incredible. This is likely something TLG will never touch so it will always stay uniquely amazing.

If only LEGO would release a pod racer like this. The attention to detail is fantastic, lots of lovely greebles! That said the cockpit (with the least greebles) is probably my favourite part, the shape is perfect.

I love it - great job, Anio !

You even answered my question before I asked it - whether Sebulba's podracer was in scale with Anakin's !

Some really neat building techniques, and the greebles are wonderful. Not sure I can forgive you for painting parts, however...

;-)

As always, I'm looking forward to your next creation.

Dr. D.

That looks awesome, well done. It amazes me that someone can build something like this. My brain just doesn't work like that!

That's amazing!

One thing that looks slightly off, though, is that bulbous part between the V of the front engines. It looks undersized in comparison to the rest of the Podracer.

Otherwise, great work! :classic:

:wub: Wow. This is great! All of the little greebels really make this MOC. I'm absolutely stunned by this amazing MOC! :thumbup:

One thing that looks slightly off, though, is that bulbous part between the V of the front engines. It looks undersized in comparison to the rest of the Podracer.

Well...

Dscf0579.jpg

I agree, it does seem a bit small when you compare it to the original. But the shaping on the engines is better this way, so I would say that Anio's decision was a good one.

This picture left me speechless:

63464818.jpg

The complexity of the techniques and extensiveness of the detailing exhibited in this build, coupled with the eccentricity of the original concept, work together to make this one of the best UCS MOCs I've seen. You've created an outstanding representation of a vehicle that couldn't help but be underappreciated in the Prequels (because of this MOC, the Plug-F Mammoth is now my favorite concept from The Phantom Menace next to the Radiant VII). :wub: Be very proud...

That's impecible! There is not a detail that doesn't look absolutly perfect! And the greebling wub_drool.gif

Extremly well done, Anio. Extremly well done.

Totally AWESOME 'Anio', colours and styling spot on - excellent UCS designing there and May the Eurobrick be with you ! :grin:

I agree, it does seem a bit small when you compare it to the original. But the shaping on the engines is better this way, so I would say that Anio's decision was a good one.

Actually, I meant the bubble-like part between the two diagonal sections making up the V.

Edit: None of the images work, for some reason. You can kind of see it here, it's the rounded area between both of the Vs.

Sebulba_Pod.jpg

I guess you can't really do much about that because you'll lose the shape, though.

Edited by Delta 38

Hi,

Well, I gonna answer everyone. Sorry for posting such a long message. :-s

:wub_drool: Lovely, lovely work. I don't really mind the painted parts, because they look terrific in this model. And the greebles! :wub: !! The variety of colors really makes the greebs on this one perfect. Great work with the techniques, too.

I'm sure some expect me to say this, and I will say, I wish it had fewer studs, but that does nothing much to detract from the impressiveness of the model.

Thanks for your comment about the greebs ! :)

Regarding the tiled/studded surfaces, I tried to put some tile to hide some studs.

But I do not want to put too many tiles. Indeed, I like studs. It is important to me to see them.

On the wedge 4x9, it was hard to put tiles. :/ Cause I think it would have "harm" the conical shape.

On the wings, the grid + 2x2 tile + grid tend to reproduce the movable fins (they are open, sometimes, in the movie) and to modify the texture.

That is fantastic!!!! First off your photoshopped card, looks legit.

I love the greebling on the engines and the size is just awesome. I really can't think of anything to say to express how good it looks, I mean it looks just like the original except blown up to a UCS scale.

If TLG has any sense, they'll contact you to license this and make it!

If only LEGO would release a pod racer like this. The attention to detail is fantastic, lots of lovely greebles! That said the cockpit (with the least greebles) is probably my favourite part, the shape is perfect.

Thank you ! :)

I wouldn't say that I'm very good at photoshop. But I know everything to do a very nice display card, thanks to Oxycrest, a friend. :)

I'm pleased to see that you think it could be an official set, because it is always the approach I have when I do design a model. I do my best to respect very hard rules and standards.

But I doubt TLG do But TLG will never contact me to produce this or something similar. They already did they podracers.

If one day I'm contacted by Lego for my MOCs, I'll let you know. ^^

This is a fantastic model! I think my favorite photo it the on looking into the backs of the engines, I liked the thruster design with the wedge pieces.

The greebling is very realistic, and the pod itself is very well done. Great MOC :thumbup:

Thanks ! :)

Gorgeous. Presonally, I'm not one for UCSs, normally, but this isn't a giant chunk of gray/black, so I'll have to comment on how awesome this is. Firstly, I'm stunned that you managed to build this, given the hard to find colors. I especially applaud you on the greebling. The engines are very well done, as well. Fantastic work.

And as usual, nice plaquecard.

Thnak you :)

Yes, it was a real pain to gather all the parts. :/

I confess that I love this orange color too. :)

I hate the prequels, especially Episode I, but this is fantastic. The engine greebling, size, accuracy....it looks incredible. This is likely something TLG will never touch so it will always stay uniquely amazing.

Thanks !

I gave my word to one friend (not 2, juste one) that I would do my best for him to be able to reproduce the model.

In exchange, he gave me his word that he would keep for himslef what I sent to him.

So, I guess that you will see 1 other Plug-F in the next months... :)

I love it - great job, Anio !

You even answered my question before I asked it - whether Sebulba's podracer was in scale with Anakin's !

Some really neat building techniques, and the greebles are wonderful. Not sure I can forgive you for painting parts, however...

;-)

As always, I'm looking forward to your next creation.

Dr. D.

Thanks ! :classic:

Hum, regarding the painted parts, I have really no regret. :)

I know what will be my next model. But I think I will stop Lego for this year. I did 3 MOCs in 2011, which IMO pretty much regarding how slow I work.

Now that's podracing!

Love it, fantastic work!

:wub: Wow. This is great! All of the little greebels really make this MOC. I'm absolutely stunned by this amazing MOC! :thumbup:

Thank you. :sweet:

That looks awesome, well done. It amazes me that someone can build something like this. My brain just doesn't work like that!

You know, to do great MOCs, you must just have some key ideas in mind.

- First of all, you must think than you can do it. Indeed, why couldn't you do great MOCs ?

- Secondly, you mustn't hesitate to spend as much time as necessary. You have to do, do, do and redo, and redo again to get the result you expect.

- And thirdly, you have to be very demanding with yourself. Set the bar high. :)

These 3 ideas are key points, before building.

If you have not much skills in designing and finding your own building techniques, that's no big deal. You just compensate with time. You are bound to success if you spend hours and hours. ^^

That's amazing!

Otherwise, great work! :classic:

Thank you :)

Yes, the bulbous part you are talking about should be a bit bigger.

But since a part like that 88293.jpg do not exist in 4 stud wide and high, I did it with 3 studs.

It is not 100% accurate. However, it is certainely better than a blocky (and thus not perfectly round) shape designed with bricks. :)

The complexity of the techniques and extensiveness of the detailing exhibited in this build, coupled with the eccentricity of the original concept, work together to make this one of the best UCS MOCs I've seen. You've created an outstanding representation of a vehicle that couldn't help but be underappreciated in the Prequels (because of this MOC, the Plug-F Mammoth is now my favorite concept from The Phantom Menace next to the Radiant VII). :wub: Be very proud...

Thanks a lot ! :sweet:

It's true that the color and the overall shape of the vehicle make the Plug-F Mammoth very original.

That's impecible! There is not a detail that doesn't look absolutly perfect! And the greebling wub_drool.gif

Extremly well done, Anio. Extremly well done.

Totally AWESOME 'Anio', colours and styling spot on - excellent UCS designing there and May the Eurobrick be with you ! :grin:

This is amazing, jaw drooping stuff. I just love the detail.

FANTASTIC! Amazing greeble and the size of the beast is really impressive! :thumbup:

Thank you all ! :blush:

Oh, I forgot to specify that I took inspiration on 10019 to do the conical shapes.

I did not used rubbers outside like 10019, but magnets inside. :)

edit :

Cool MOC Anio! I love the greebs and the overall "flow" of your signature handiwork!

The UCS placard had a typo though :sadnew:

WTF !!! How hell I didn't see it !!! kzimir.gif

Let's reprint the card...

Edited by Anio

Outstanding job and I love the detailing. :classic: I have to say you really have outdone yourself, keep it up Anio. :thumbup:

Edited by That_Guy

Superb work Anio (as usual!). I was really impressed by Lego’s new version, but this is something else :wub: The detailing is amazing, especially the rear section of the engines. Have you got any ideas for your next project; could I suggest a re-make of 10143 Death Star II? :wink: