BrickFish

The Mysterious Blue Bicycle

Ok; does anyone know what set the blue bicycle is from? I've seen iton Bricklink and in MOC's and was wondering where it was from; thanks in advance.

Ok; does anyone know what set the blue bicycle is from? I've seen iton Bricklink and in MOC's and was wondering where it was from; thanks in advance.

My husband says it was like a special "test" run or something like that, only available from LEGO but not available to the public.

My husband says it was like a special "test" run or something like that, only available from LEGO but not available to the public.

I'd believe you are correct, much like the red vader helmet. 30368.gif

Which I bought for around $20 last year, interesting to see it's so expensive now.

There's a light orange bicycle floating around too. I'd love to own both blue and orange but sadly both are out of my budget range for single items. It would be nice if Lego produced more colours. Silver and dark red or blue would be nice.

Edited by Brickenhead-town-dweller

Oh good lord, there's a transparent red bicycle going for $150 too... does anyone know how exactly people get a hold of these "test run" pieces? Smuggled out by factory workers, perhaps?

Oh good lord, there's a transparent red bicycle going for $150 too... does anyone know how exactly people get a hold of these "test run" pieces? Smuggled out by factory workers, perhaps?

Sometimes small runs of parts in otherwise unavailable colors are produced for the model shops at the LegoLand parks. I can only assume that some of these parts never get used, or eventually are unneeded once the display is changed and they then "find their way" into the hands of others.

I would personally not pay big money for any single piece, citing the example of the Maersk Blue construction helmets that were selling for over $200, before the new Maersk Train came out...containing 3 of them. Now they sell for about $5.

It would be great if Lego tried to vary the colours of things a little. I was thrilled to see the green bike released with the Public Transport set. However, it then came out with the Pet Shop in green too, where a new bike colour would have been great. Little things like this make a set more enticing and worth buying. Hopefully we will see more bikes in different colours next year such as purple, lime green, light blue, grey...(as well as orange and light blue flowers and some of those cylindrical pillars in the latest bank in white...please?).

Yes it is a "special" part. I have owned many like red pistol, green air tanks etc. There are generally two sources for such parts.

1. Factory Test Molds

2. Distributed at special LUG events

Factory tests are red or trans clear to show errors more easily.

Yes it is a "special" part. I have owned many like red pistol, green air tanks etc. There are generally two sources for such parts.

1. Factory Test Molds

2. Distributed at special LUG events

Factory tests are red or trans clear to show errors more easily.

Can you give examples of "special LUG events"? Does TLG give goodies out to LUGs?

I would personally not pay big money for any single piece, citing the example of the Maersk Blue construction helmets that were selling for over $200, before the new Maersk Train came out...containing 3 of them. Now they sell for about $5.

I just noticed today that the old Star Wars ARC set has halved in price since the new one came out last year. Old sets and parts lost value if used again, but better for Lego consumers to get there hands on more parts with out having to fork out for it. If your a collector for investment its bad news :hmpf_bad: but if you like to build its good news :sweet:

Can you give examples of "special LUG events"? Does TLG give goodies out to LUGs?

Jim Foulds when he visited Brickvention in Australia said he and other LEGO employees occasionally got access to prototype or test parts, mostly normal parts in rare colours. While in normal circumstances these should never be allowed into the hands of the general public, they were sometimes given to AFOLs, on the condition they should not be sold and the understanding they may have faults since they had not been completely tested. Many employees could lose their jobs for distributing such parts, but a select few could get permission to pass a few on.

Ryan McNaught had some printed parts at Brickvention, which he could only tell us were printed in Denmark on official LEGO bricks. They were sold with funds going to charity. I can only assume they were some test parts. They had Post Office and parcel designs.

This was part of a conversation had at Brickvention six months ago and the details might be slightly incorrect.

It were probably an test run for the Friends theme, since it's coming out this year =)

I took this picture in the City layout from TLG at LEGO World Copenhagen this weekend.

6902533831_f9dc3c780a.jpg

It were probably an test run for the Friends theme, since it's coming out this year =)

I took this picture in the City layout from TLG at LEGO World Copenhagen this weekend.

Ohh, the mysterious blue bicycle. :sweet:

Thanks for sharing.

The blue bicycle does come in a set -- Friends Adventure Camper set 3184: LEGO Toy Fair 2012 - Friends - 3184 Adventure Camper - 1

So many fun sets in the next wave :classic:

Friends have light blue in unreleased set, which has not yet sold

according to information from my friends from Brickdome it's blue bike is custom produced

I sincerely doubt the blue bicycle in the picture above is a fake or custom piece, as LegoWorld appears to be closely choreographed by Lego itself and they would probably not appreciate having non-brand pieces prominently displayed. Most likely it's a one of those rare non-production pieces as mentioned earlier in the thread, and I don't see why it could not be part of one of the summer sets, Lego loves throwing bones at us crazy fans at this particular event.

I would therefore hold off on buying the blue bike for 60+ dollars on Bricklink, as it might be in production soon.

As for these kind of rare pieces being knock-offs, I wouldn't be too worried, as most are sold by highly respected and experienced AFOLs in Europe, who would either spot a fake or be chastised by the community for making them. The pieces I'd be most concerned about being fake are some of the ultra-rare printed pieces that are worth a fortune, and could much more easily be counterfeited than what creating new pieces would be. Why would someone spend a huge effort to create fake Lego pieces in weird colors with an extremely limited market when there are so many easier ways in the world to make a quick buck.

If they make white bicycles you guys can just get those and dye them whatever color you want (assuming the plastic is receptive to the dye of course)

I suspect my trans-clear 2 x 2 round tiles came from a similar source (i.e. model shop parts/prototypes that somehow ended up in the hands of AFOLs)

The one in the "Friends" theme is of a light blue color it looks like, not the standard blue? And the one at LEGO World appears to be another shade of blue too.