Klaus-Dieter

2012 City sets

Anyway, back on topic, I'm not too keen on the idea of more Police and Fire sets, even if they are under a different sub-theme. I thought the rumours for 2012 indicated that the Hospital sub-theme was going to make a return?

We might still get a Hospital sub-theme in the summer wave. In fact, it would make sense, so there a whole year of emergency services.

And I wonder how long the current Police and Fire sets will last. Usually when a sub-theme is remade, the old sets are discontinued, but since this is a new variation... :sceptic:

Since this year saw three different internal city themes, police, space and marine.....so next year forest is first, leaving two other different subthemes, medical could be among the mix next year (can you imagine the trouble those three crooks are going to get themselves into :laugh: )......one can also hope for some extra buildings.....we'll just have to wait and see ! :wink:

Since this year saw three different internal city themes, police, space and marine.....so next year forest is first, leaving two other different subthemes, medical could be among the mix next year (can you imagine the trouble those three crooks are going to get themselves into :laugh: )......one can also hope for some extra buildings.....we'll just have to wait and see ! :wink:

I would have thought that Forest Fire and Forest Police were different sub themes. :sceptic:

But yes, we will have to wait and see. :wink:

Oh my... if this is all true, and I have a feeling it is, then I'm afraid the City line has really jumped the shark IMO.

The City/Town theme can never jump the shark unless Lego as a whole jumps the shark :tongue:

There is always going to be a police subtheme and a firemen subtheme. If they don't do new sets for these themes, they just keep the previous sets for another year. But they have to change them every now and then so that the same KFOL may want to buy more sets of the same theme. How quickly, it depends on how well the current ones are selling. The key point is that each KFOL doesn't usually want to buy the same set again, and may not be interested in many more themes, so to keep him/her as a customer TLG needs to produce new sets of popular themes. Trying out variations like these forest-oriented firefighters can improve the chances of keeping the KFOL's interest high, although it's a bit riskier compared to well-proved safe choices.

We AFOL often forget that we are not the main customers here. For an AFOL one great police station may be all that's needed, but for TLG even if they could design the "perfect" police station one day, they will still need to replace it after a while.

Hello everyone!

Who know - when we can get preliminary pictures of next year's sets? Or maybe someone already have trade catalog for a first half-year of 2012?...

Thank you!

Hello everyone!

Who know - when we can get preliminary pictures of next year's sets? Or maybe someone already have trade catalog for a first half-year of 2012?...

Thank you!

Yeah, thats what I was also wondering. When do prelim pics start to show up of early 2012 sets.

As long as I've been part of the online LEGO community, it's usually around this time each year. Usually it's the trickle of rumours, then it's the blurry confidential preliminary pictures from the retailer catalogue. So I'm expecting them to show up some time in the next week or so. However, Lego doesn't like these leaks, and often takes measures to remove them. While this is hard for them to control when the images have leaked onto the internet, I wouldn't be surprised if LEGO have found a way to stop these leaks. In which case, we may not see them at all.

Usually September we start seeing watermarked images, but if Black Friday sales include city 2012 sets we'll get un-watermarked images sooner. :wink:

Usually September we start seeing watermarked images, but if Black Friday sales include city 2012 sets we'll get un-watermarked images sooner. :wink:

Really? has that happened before?

Anyhow, regarding the "bandits" I'm hoping that they'll A) not be wearing prison attire and B) feature a head that includes a black domino mask and a neutral expression. I'd love that, But I assume they'll have the common "bad guy" heads we've been getting in a lot of themes...namely the gold-toothed grin with stubble and the brown angry stubbly one we first got in Agents and has since popped up in Kingdoms on just about every other dragon soldier. Also: I want one of the vehicles for the bandits to be am muscle car. I'd love a Trans-Am type car...

Edited by Rocketbilly

...I wouldn't be surprised if LEGO have found a way to stop these leaks.

I don't see how this could happen, since the retailers need to know what it is that they're ordering in. I know Lego is a trusted and reliable brand, but if I received a retailer's catalogue where all the sets were missing their pictures or were only represented by question marks, I would probably be cautious when deciding numbers to order.

Also it would be difficult to put a distinctive watermark on every single catalogue, so tracking leaks down to their sources is almost impossible.

I think it's a risk they will always be required to take that images will be leaked from retailer catalogues. In fact it's probably something they factor in when they decide on their preliminary images - screw the retailers, what will the fans think?

Edited by David Thomsen

Oh my... if this is all true, and I have a feeling it is, then I'm afraid the City line has really jumped the shark IMO.

I have to disagree. Yes, it's another City & Police wave, but at least they're trying something different-- changing the locale, changing the figs, etc. It's not like they're not trying to do something different. Sure, we all want the hospital line, and the zoo and the schoolhouse, but obviously their marketing proves that 7-11 year old boys are into policemen and firefighters... and you can't blame a toy company for recognizing and accommodating that. Yeesh.

Personally I love the fact that they've changed things up, and we get a whole different subtheme. I intend on just calling them 'park rangers.'

Hmmm... these sets sound interesting. Police sets don't interest me one bit after we've only just had one wave of them this year default_def_shrug.gif, however I am interested in the fire sub-theme. It will be nice to see them set in a different location.

I hope we will get a hospital sub-theme in the second half of the year. I've put off for awhile building one of my own in hope that Lego do release one soon, So I guess we will just have to wait!

I doubt that would happen. Where I live, the new sets only show up at TRU at the end of December/Close to Christmas.

I doubt that would happen. Where I live, the new sets only show up at TRU at the end of December/Close to Christmas.

I remember seeing sets in stores in November.

I don't know about that. But then again, I live in a pretty small town.

I don't know about that. But then again, I live in a pretty small town.

At the TRU Black Friday sale this past year I saw the Log Cabin, Pharoh Quest, and the new small police sets. Hopefully soon we will see some 2012 pics :)

Toys R Us will start to receive 2012 sets not long before Black Friday, as will LEGO Stores.

Thinking of it the new sets remind me of the set 6563 Gator Landing.

Hehe, that is what I was also thinking of when I saw the set list! That is actually a really good set and had an interesting concept. The 4x4 in that set is great. Also reminds me of the Outback theme, which they should also bring back.

6563-1.jpg

and

6552-1.jpg

great sets, hope we see something similar.

I feel the bad guys hideout would more be a log cabin, though if they learn't anything from the Kelly Gang hiding out in a humble wooden structure isn't that wise ! :devil:

It's a wonder that there isn't a forest fire station with a tower to keep a lookout for fires ? :wacko:

Really curious to see if we get new crooks.

The AFOL in me wants a new torso, something that will allow the bad guys to blend into the general population or whatever. Kinda silly to think of all these guys sneaking around when they're wearing big bold stripes, even under the gray jacket.

Now the father in me, on the other hand, understands why TLG does this. Teaching kids that the bad guys look normal, and could be anyone in the community, even the next door neighbor, is an important thing, and stranger danger is the real deal. But when that little boy's sitting in his room playing with his Lego, he shouldn't have to live in that real world climate of fear. The cops are the good guys and the crooks are the bad guys. And crooks go to prison. End of story.

The AFOL in me wants a new torso, something that will allow the bad guys to blend into the general population or whatever. Kinda silly to think of all these guys sneaking around when they're wearing big bold stripes, even under the gray jacket.

That's always puzzled me too. Why are the criminals always wearing prison jumpsuits? It makes sense for the Police Stations sets, where the criminals are in jail. But in sets like the Bank? Why is the bank robber wearing his prison outfit? Are we to believe this guy broke out of jail and THE FIRST THING HE DID, before he even found a change of clothes, was to go rob a bank?!?

I'm hoping the bandit minifugures are like the old minifigures from the western theme. They could have cool torsos with grumpy and mean looking faces. Thats all i want. :classic:

If we're talking forest police facing criminals then I prefer to think they'd be facing the usual townie idiots whose carelessness and selfishness causes incident and calamity. So rather than being 'bandits' the foes of the police are ordinary citizens. And similarly the forest fire service would also be up against ignoramus civilians who may have started a forest fire by having a camp fire or barbeque or simply discarding a bottle of beer which caught the sunlight, focused the heat and started a grass blaze. tiny actions can have huge consequences. that would be a great lesson to teach through play.

Hehe, that is what I was also thinking of when I saw the set list! That is actually a really good set and had an interesting concept. The 4x4 in that set is great. Also reminds me of the Outback theme, which they should also bring back.

6563-1.jpg

and

6552-1.jpg

great sets, hope we see something similar.

I also hope we see sets like this.Looking at those two sets I like how 6552 looks like a innocent couple and 6563 looks like a fishy deal :laugh:.

I also hope we see sets like this.Looking at those two sets I like how 6552 looks like a innocent couple and 6563 looks like a fishy deal :laugh:.

Hahaha Thats hilarious! It does look like something is going to go down. :laugh: