Klaus-Dieter

2012 City sets

Those tiles are in all sorts of sets next year. The Forest Police Station has them in Transparent Red, as you mentioned, but they also exist in sets in Transparent Yellow, Transparent Blue, Transparent Green, Medium Stone Grey (Bricklink's Light Bluish Gray), and Warm Gold (Bricklink's Pearl Gold). They're also printed in several Cars and Ninjago sets. I think printing will be where their potential will really begin to shine, (I can picture tan ones printed to resemble chocolate chip cookies, for instance), but they also have functional applications-- this holiday promo set uses one underneath the grille of the fireplace, a function that couldn't be performed by two 1x1 round plates.

What a great suggestion, cookies! That would be good, they need more variety in foods for the Lego people. All they really have is pizza and veggies/fruits.

Yup! I just got the garbage truck, camper and ambulance from the local LEGO store (Fairview Mall, Toronto). They had all of the new sets that have been posted on the front page. They got them in yesterday.

Nice! I might call today to see if they arrived today... Garbage truck looks great too.

Anyone know when the "rest of the world" will be able to buy these sets as well?

Soon, hopefully, however I shall wait until they drop in price on Amazon.

Anyone know when the "rest of the world" will be able to buy these sets as well?

Well, from memory, some EU countries in December....the rest of the world from January 2012 (of course Australia must always wait :hmpf_bad: ).

How does America get them two months earlier than the rest of the world?
Because it's US, of course. And I think the rest of the world will pay much more for the sets when they will be availabla in late Dec/Jan 2012. Also it looks like LEGO has decided to start holiday season VERY EARLY this year... probably to show better sales figures... I wonder why not selling "2012" things in e.g. September...

Sometimes the US does, sometimes Europe, and very rarely somewhere else like Australia has first release.

If you think about it, it makes sense to concentrate on one market at a time from a production point of view, since European and US packaging differs. Bulk shipping prices also have an impact. Also you need to be able to deliver across the whole market pretty much at the same time, because retailers will get upset if you deliver to a rival a long time before them, so you do market by market rather than everybody at once.

The US probably goes first in this case because they have longer shipping times than delivery to Europe, so if you want to deliver to both markets from Denmark before Christmas, it makes sense to target the US first.

The US probably goes first in this case because they have longer shipping times than delivery to Europe, so if you want to deliver to both markets from Denmark before Christmas, it makes sense to target the US first.

Hence, probably why they got S3 first last year around this time.

Just ordered the garbage truck, ambulance and patrol car from TRU. They have the buy 1 get 1 50% off so I got the ambulance for 9.99. Not to bad. Normally I would just get them locally but they dont have them in stock yet and I'm impatient!! :angry:

Looking forward to these new sets!

So... the good news is I got the ambulance. The bad news is I agreed with my wife that it stays in the box until Christmas.

Also saw several of the Dino sets today at TRU... Pterodactyls look GREAT!

Supply and demand. Maybe US is the bigger market for City sets. Or make up for minifigs when we weren't first...

The US has a much bigger market base for TLG to target, its also where a lot of AFOL's are based.

Also from last year when the 2012 sets were released early for the US in November, I got some of them here in the UK in the second half of december, then Australia gets it last in January. It's really in order of how big the markets are in each continent, with North America being the biggest.

I'm still pretty jealous of you Americans who can get them before the rest of us! At least it gives the rest of the us a chance to truly see the good and also bad points of these new sets. I'm personally really excited, but its still probably up to a month till I can get my hands on these new sets :(

It is possible that due to the economy, less people want to buy lego, and TLG wants to boost their sales in the US, hence releasing them here first.

Still haven't seen them in my town, though. :hmpf_bad:

It is possible that due to the economy, less people want to buy lego, and TLG wants to boost their sales in the US, hence releasing them here first.

Still haven't seen them in my town, though. :hmpf_bad:

Two things, Lego might be wanting to see if they have made any mistakes in choosing sets for 2012 and second, the words...Toys-R-Us....the Wal-mart of the toy retailing world ! :laugh:

Maybe US is the bigger market for City sets.

The US is the third or fourth biggest market for TLG most years, Germany is the biggest and the stronghold there (like most other places) is City.

The US has a much bigger market base for TLG to target, its also where a lot of AFOL's are based.

... It's really in order of how big the markets are in each continent, with North America being the biggest.

While the potential market in the US is bigger, actual sales are bigger in Germany, and I'm pretty sure there are just as many AFOLs in Europe as in the US. There are other non-english speaking forums for both French and German speakers which are very active. The LEGO exhibitions have been run in Europe longer than cons in the US too I think. The poor sales in the US per capita is part of the reason the US prices are so low compared to the rest of the world.

The US is the third or fourth biggest market for TLG most years, Germany is the biggest and the stronghold there (like most other places) is City.

No, it's not the the third or fourth. It is never below the second largest market, often neck-and-neck with Germany. And that's based on dollar sales - so given how dirt cheap LEGO is in the States, it's no secret where the most LEGO sets are sold.

US prices are low because America is a dirt cheap place to distribute product. It has low taxes and awesome economics of scale. Think the price difference between LEGO in Germany and the U.S. is bad? You don't want to know how little we pay for a German-imported BMW 5-Series.

Edited by MAH4546

Any news about the second half of city sets to be released in 2012 I love all the new cars and trucks but hopefully we will get a few buildings.

Edited to remove off-topic post.

Edited by peterab

Was at the schaumburg IL store yesterday and got the caravan and the pursuit sets... that chopper looks interesting, but something made me hesitate... anyone who has built it have any thoughts?

Any news about the second half of city sets to be released in 2012 I love all the new cars and trucks but hopefully we will get a few buildings.

I expect we will hear about those sets around April, like this year's summer CITY sets.

I'm guessing for a large Hospital to be the main set, with smaller hospital style sets with it.

Apparently all of TLC's building designers are over working on the new "Friends" theme. THAT theme is where I'm spending my money this year -- veterinarian, cafe, hair salon, house ... all good stuff that I can use in my town. Plus lots of interesting new accessories (frying pan, new flowers, tons of animals, food, etc.).

That's very true 'scott', the back burn tool...see Lego brains and the real world....I think the designer of the forest fire sets should visited Oz during bushfire season and witness the fire crews and their equipment in action.....sadly that fancy fire semi with the duck might not sell that well in Oz...the only ducks similar are on the Gold Coast for tourists. :wink:

I have used the oil can as a "fire bug" thats the name for the tool used for doing backburns, or backfires. Also a while back i used an old airtank, with a short hose bluetacked inside for the knapsack backpack. (yes im in the industry, as a vol rural firefighter).

Those ducks are huge and i'm also on the GC.

I would love a Hospital as long as its decent but 2012 looks like a great year for city sets.