Klaus-Dieter

2012 City sets

The medical center (I concur that its way too small to be called a hospital) looks good. Wish I could get hold of a few of that new Doctor :(

The Octan service station and parking garage looks good too although I have a strong feeling its going to be expensive and hard-to-get (much like the Public Transit set was a few years back :(

Thanks for correct name. I guess I will have to correct ma review, eh. Unfortunately, only US boxes have names and piece counts, but now, when I see this, I remembered, that when checking my VIP account, I noticed somthing strange. So, I checked agai, and it surely says "

4429 Helicopter Rescue V29".

Thanks heaps GRogall for.the pictures. I'm really disappointed about the hospital though, especially after waiting so long for a decent one. The doctor does look pretty good however. I think that I'm going to get the current Police Station when it comes on sale and convert it to a hospital.

I's probably been discused before about the "Heli-resc". But I REALLY don't like the use of a regular green plate instead of a traditional baseplate. It does the job yes, but it's going to be terrible to interact with roadplates and neighboring buildings. I really don't hope, that this is an indication that TLG is about to transform the baseplate-stardard into regular plate thickness.... *huh*

Seeing that it's called 'Helicopter Rescue' it fits in with the mining sets......hmmm, we are going missing a mine rescue unit. :wink:

I's probably been discused before about the "Heli-resc". But I REALLY don't like the use of a regular green plate instead of a traditional baseplate. It does the job yes, but it's going to be terrible to interact with roadplates and neighboring buildings. I really don't hope, that this is an indication that TLG is about to transform the baseplate-stardard into regular plate thickness.... *huh*

The new plates have totally replaced baseplates. Now, the only place where baseplates will still be in are the modular buildings. :cry_sad:

The new plates have totally replaced baseplates. Now, the only place where baseplates will still be in are the modular buildings. :cry_sad:

And the new parking station with workshop, petrol pumps and car wash. :wink:

And the new parking station with workshop, petrol pumps and car wash. :wink:

You sure? It looks like it uses the new plates...

Hopefully you're right. This would make me want to buy the parking station even more! :sweet:

You sure? It looks like it uses the new plates...

Hopefully you're right. This would make me want to buy the parking station even more! :sweet:

Just check some Youtube clips showings 4207, it looks to be dark bluey grey base plates.

Last year's 3368 Space Centre set came with a big, beautiful baseplate. :wub:

3368-1.jpg

I imagine they'll still be included in some sets every now and then when there's really a need for it. The Space Centre set really couldn't have been done without one because the support tower would've been way too easy to tip over if you'd just had some plates right underneath it.

The new garage doesn't look like it has any baseplate judging by the box picture I posted yesterday. They may have used baseplates for the toy fair display, but that doesn't necessarily mean the actual set comes with any.

I'm perfectly OK with regular plates replacing baseplates. Admittedly it could be carried out better than it is in the Helicopter Rescue set. But in general regular plates are more versatile, more sturdy, and don't leave gaps where the corners meet.

It's also surprisingly easy to incorporate regular plates with baseplates. A road plate sitting on top of a regular baseplate's studs will have the same "ground height" as a regular plate attached to the same regular baseplate's studs.

Let's hope for the best. I really smell compatibility-problems if they change the standard. Ain't that what tey call fragmentation in the app-world. Baseplates aint perfect... and it's a shame you can't atach anything underneath... but they have been around for too loong to change that now.

Allright, TLG changed the vehicle-standard from 4 stud to 6-8, and therefore needed wider roadplates. But changing the thickness would really be annoying.

PLEASE DONT! :cry_sad::cry_sad::cry_sad:

It's also surprisingly easy to incorporate regular plates with baseplates. A road plate sitting on top of a regular baseplate's studs will have the same "ground height" as a regular plate attached to the same regular baseplate's studs.

I've read this several times now. But I'm still not sure that I get it... (it's probably just me ;o)

Do you have any pictures that shows how to interact between baseplates and regular plates?

I really like these new sets, but have TLG gone from, "we need more Police sets" to "we need more Fire, and Forest Fire sets?"

That ambulance looks really cool, might have to pick up a few of the motorcycle and trailer sets just to make a MX team.

I really like these new sets, but have TLG gone from, "we need more Police sets" to "we need more Fire, and Forest Fire sets?"

That ambulance looks really cool, might have to pick up a few of the motorcycle and trailer sets just to make a MX team.

What do you mean? There are no Fire sets for the upcoming summer wave at all. What Fire sets there were this year came out around the same time as the Forest Police sets. Unless you mean the Advent Calendar. But in that case, I think it's more an issue of "it was Police themed last year, let's mix things up."

Personally, if they're going to give us new Police and Fire sets yearly, I hope they continue to mix things up with things like the Forest theme of many of this year's sets.

I miss the 3D baseplates. I was kind of hoping they would appear in the mining sets, but oh, well. Still, not happy to hear theyre all but gone.

I've read this several times now. But I'm still not sure that I get it... (it's probably just me ;o)

Do you have any pictures that shows how to interact between baseplates and regular plates?

No photos, but I can whip one up in LDD for you.

baseplate-to-plate_demonstration.png

A regular plate attached to studs underneath is the same height as a baseplate "resting" on those same studs. I've tested it in real life to be sure that it works, and it does.

I've always thought that this would be a great way to create "roads" for the modular buildings without having to transplant them from their original baseplates-- just build some custom streets out of these with either larger baseplates or a framework of plates underneath, and you'll have roads you can modify in length with much more freedom than you could with road plates.

To use road plates for this purpose, you'll need to transplant them from their original baseplates, and unless you use the extremely old ones with eight-stud curbs (610, 611, 612), then you have to insert irregularly-sized alleyways in between some of your buildings (since the size of the block from corner to corner will not be divisible by 16 studs, the size of the narrowest of the modular buildings).

This is just one reason why I love plates compared to baseplates. Even if road plates have their charm, and are cheaper than many roads built from regular plates, they are constraining in terms of size.

On a side note, I've long been wanting to put together a Cuusoo proposal for a modular road system based on this principle. I should have one up by the end of next week! I'll post it here in case anybody's interested.

I can whip one up in LDD for you.

Excellent description :thumbup: It's great to get a solution on how to mix and match baseplates with regular plates. Especially if TLG descides to terminate the baseplate. Your solution seems a little expensive, but hey... roadplates arn't cheap either (in denmark).

Your principle certainly deserves a cuusoo try or maybe a small "How to - guide" here on eurobrick.

Through my travels on-line that I found at S@H for some European countries both 4207 garage (99.99 Euro) and 4429 helicopter rescue (49.99 Euro) are up ! *oh2*

And today GRogall HR lego set of the day is.............

4207 City Garage

All pics link to HR version +2400.pxl

b_4207_box_side_800.jpg

c_4207_detail_1_800.jpg

d_4207_detail_2_800.jpg

e_4207_detail_3_800.jpg

f_4207_detail_4_800.jpg

g_4207_detail_5_800.jpg

h_4207_detail_6_800.jpg

i_4207_detail_7_800.jpg

Well enjoy! :classic: :classic: :classic:

Till next time................

It's nice to see 4207 on a baseplate. I REALLY hope they don't switch to plates...otherwise my city won't be expanding much anymore. I don't want to have ti buy extra baseplates when I'm buying sets to go with my baseplate streets. :hmpf_bad: and I won't be buy plates with a street print on them, I already have too many old light grey street plates collecting dust... :hmpf:

After seeing the pics of the garage / parking building - beautiful - must buy. Its almost perfect!

GRogall, you really are the high-res hero. :sweet:

The garage looks really nice, and I'm happy that they kept baseplates in the set, like 'lightningtiger' said. The whole set measures out to be 48-wide! That's the biggest I've ever seen a City set measure out to!