Legoman

Looking for some help with part of a MOC

Hi guys.

As some of you may have heard, I'm currently working on a MOC of the Christchurch Cathedral. It's been severely damaged by the Earthquakes here - so this MOC means a heck of a lot to me in sentimental value, And I'm sure I won't be the only one. I've been working on it for around 4 months now, and Its coming along very nicely, and I'm currently in the final stages before it's finished (It'll be put up Here on EB once I finish it).

To say the least, I'm quite proud of it, It's the largest MOC I've ever attempted, and as I said, It means a lot to me.

However, I have a huge problem: The Rose window in the front. This is it here:

cathedralwindow.jpg

I do have one in place, But I'm really not happy with it. Here is the current one I have in place (Just the window, I'm not giving away the rest of the MOC yet :tongue: )

cathedral.jpg

In my opinion it's really letting the entire MOC down, and I'd really like to re-design it. And I'm after your help. I've been looking at various MOCs on the internet for months for inspiration, But Nothing has had concepts I can find a way to use. (Theres very few well done rose windows out there that I could find)

Any thoughts or Ideas would be VERY helpful.

Thanks heaps guys

Sam (AKA Legoman)

Some very interesting stuff in eilonwy77's gallery.

Thanks for posting, VK.

Good luck with your MOC, Legoman. Look forward to seeing it.

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

I took a look at it and I thought of wheels !

I see 10 smaller wheels round a bigger wheel, incased in a big wheel... Now this might sound simple, but I try to break it down to the basics. I take 10 wheels like these :

2695.jpg?0

put them around a radar dish like this one

4285b.jpg?0

( or perhaps like this one )

50990pb02.gif?0

.. The outer circle build in bricks with slopes and cheese slopes and even a little snot and a lot of trying !

The bigger 10x10 insert can be build up with some smaller work from the centre out , the smaller has that to an extend, not to fancy though :sceptic: ...

Its something I guess :blush: .. there's more possibility's but this one came to mind .

It's a complicated window, perhaps search brickshelf for that big church somebody did in Germany a while back, perhaps that can help. ( can't remember that particular folder ).

Good luck with the build , hope to see it soon !!

Grtz Saint.

Edited by Saint

I see 10 smaller wheels round a bigger wheel, incased in a big wheel... Now this might sound simple, but I try to break it down to the basics. I take 10 wheels like these :

2695.jpg?0

Heh, that's the same thing I thought of. :thumbup:

You may also want to look at bikicsmilan's flickr.

Have a look at eilonwy77 work with cheese slopes.

For example:

5927830365_0c161a7133_m.jpg

Cool but ugly. by eilonwy77, on Flickr

Wow, That guy has some incredible deisgns! I may give this sort of thing a go, Thanks for the link. Looks very hard, But could come out very well indeed!

2695.jpg?0

I have looked at that option. A few problems came up though. It was going to be too big (completely out of scale) if I did this. The other problem which is even bigger is that That piece Doesn't actually exist in Tan, Which is really important..

None the less though, Thanks for your input and thoughts!

Heh, that's the same thing I thought of. :thumbup:

You may also want to look at bikicsmilan's flickr.

Thanks for the link Brickdoctor :classic:

Wow, That guy has some incredible deisgns! I may give this sort of thing a go, Thanks for the link. Looks very hard, But could come out very well indeed!

She. :wink:

IThe other problem which is even bigger is that That piece Doesn't actually exist in Tan, Which is really important..

It does in Dark Tan, if that works.

She. :wink:

It does in Dark Tan, if that works.

:blush: Whoops..

Yeah, I noticed that :wink: I may give it a go if I can't find anything else, But I think I'll see how I go with the other idea of Cheese and 1x1's first :sweet:

I think the cheese slope designs is the best way to go for this. As long as it turns out looking good you shouldn't have any problems. I hope this MOC turns out great! :thumbup:

Hi. How is your window coming? I did also make a stained glass group on flickr, which does have some examples of rose windows in it. Here's the link to that group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/legostainedglass/

I have a couple of windows that are sort of round, like rose windows, for example: Framed

For Tek -- triangle, hexagon, rectangle

11-5-10 2 004

There is a link to the whole set here:

And a link to the set with all the cheese slope patterns here:

Here are some other neat rose windows I found in the stained glass pool:

Facade and Rose Window

TwinLug LEGO City: Cathedral Window

Rose Window

Destroy the Neighbours

If you have any questions about the cheese slope mosaic process, let me know, and I can try to help. ;-)

Katie

I too am from New Zealand, and I really like the way you're doing such a meaningful project. :classic:

Looking forward to seeing the completed model.

A few questions:

1. What is the width and height dimensions that you are working with in bircks/studs?

2. Will the MOC have an interior, or be lit from inside?

And eilonwy77 - how do you keep your mosaics from falling if placed vertically?

I think the cheese slope designs is the best way to go for this. As long as it turns out looking good you shouldn't have any problems. I hope this MOC turns out great! :thumbup:

Yeah, I agree. I'm currenty experimenting with a few various cheese slope Ideas. They're actually quite hard to get right, But I'm happy with what seems to be coming up :wink: . I'm hoping It'll turn out great too :laugh::wink:

Hi. How is your window coming? I did also make a stained glass group on flickr, which does have some examples of rose windows in it. Here's the link to that group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/legostainedglass/

I have a couple of windows that are sort of round, like rose windows, for example: Framed

For Tek -- triangle, hexagon, rectangle

11-5-10 2 004

There is a link to the whole set here:

And a link to the set with all the cheese slope patterns here:

Here are some other neat rose windows I found in the stained glass pool:

Facade and Rose Window

TwinLug LEGO City: Cathedral Window

Rose Window

Destroy the Neighbours

If you have any questions about the cheese slope mosaic process, let me know, and I can try to help. ;-)

Katie

Wow, there's some useful stuff in there :thumbup: Thanks for that :classic:

I too am from New Zealand, and I really like the way you're doing such a meaningful project. :classic:

Looking forward to seeing the completed model.

Thanks Landshark :classic:

A few questions:

1. What is the width and height dimensions that you are working with in bircks/studs?

2. Will the MOC have an interior, or be lit from inside?

And eilonwy77 - how do you keep your mosaics from falling if placed vertically?

1. Are you talking about the window itself or the whole model?

Overall, The model is 50cm (64 studs) wide x 75cm (96 studs) long x 70cm (80 Bricks) high (To the top of the tower)

The Window is going to be a radius of around ~7 studs. Or somewhere close to that :classic:

2. The MOC is only an Exterior. I considered making an interior too, But it's not on the list of things to do :wink:

I beleive the majority of people Use stickers/Tape on one side of the mosaic to keep it together, But feel free to correct me on that.

eilonwy77, your designs are incredible! *oh2* How are they in terms of durability? Several of the patterns appear to have been done on a flat surface, so I'm wondering how they hold up (say, as part of a wall).

Ok guys, Here's a couple of pictures to show you the 2 Ideas I'm currently working on (Only the inner circle so far).

Any thoughts and Ideas would be much appreciated. (Keep in mind both are still very WIP's :tongue: )

window1.jpg

window2.jpg

The secound is by far my favourite, I'm quite happy with how it looks. But it still needs a lot more done, obviously :wink:

Hi. Those new designs are really cool looking! Now I want to get out my pieces and start fiddling that way, too.

Regarding keeping mosaics in place... It's all done with friction. I squeeze them into place. Now different designs fit better or worse depending. Most designs, even if loose, will stand up vertically just fine; gravity pulls them down, not out, but they're in tight enough that they don't have much room to budge. A few designs stay really really well, and I have pictures of a few things being upside down:

Look Ma, no hands!

Upside down

Upside down

A lot of designs I don't really want to turn upside down until I'm completely done with them, on the off chance that they might not be as sturdy as I thought. It just takes patience, though, to work on it long enough to get it to fit just right.

That being said, I do know people who have used or plan to use double-sided tape for mosaics at a show, just because of the bumps of travel and potential disastrous results. But if you do it right, it will just stay. Sometimes I try to bang the slopes out on the table, and they won't come out until I pry a few loose. Then there's a great big cascade. ;-)

Gotta run now, but I can't wait to see what you come up with! ;-)

Katie

Heya guys, I've just finished the model.. May do 1 or 2 touchups, but thats pritty much it. Check out the MOC's thread Here. Cheers for all your help and inspiration!