BasOne

LDD 5, what features do YOU want?

Given they where using a "Hollywood Edition" of LDD in the making of video for the Lego Movie I presume they are still working on it. I imagine they may do a 5 version based on the work from it and the future movies. Though that may just be wishful thinking :)

Just got an idea...What about an android version? What'ya guys think?

Great idea. Then I'd have an excuse to buy a Galaxy Tab :classic:

It's a stretch, but I'd die for features catering to the so-called power users. This would include the ability to resize parts, more options for rotation and the ability to add new pieces, colors and decorations. I can't see it happening, but it's what I'd like to see the most.

It's a stretch, but I'd die for features catering to the so-called power users. This would include the ability to resize parts, more options for rotation and the ability to add new pieces, colors and decorations. I can't see it happening, but it's what I'd like to see the most.

Since LDD was really designed to be used by children, I don't see why any of your suggestions would be added. However, I would love if there was a separate AFOL version with the features you suggested. I'd pay for something like that.

Since LDD was really designed to be used by children, I don't see why any of your suggestions would be added. However, I would love if there was a separate AFOL version with the features you suggested. I'd pay for something like that.

LEGO uses the program as a tool, so I'm sure a version with the features I suggested already exists. We already know that they like to cater to the adult fanbase, so I'm not sure why they wouldn't be willing to add a mode with said features. It could be toggled on and off via the preferences file, similar to the original LU Mode.

Edited by Masta' Blasta'

LEGO uses the program as a tool, so I'm sure a version with the features I suggested already exists. We already know that they like to cater to the adult fanbase, so I'm not sure why they wouldn't be willing to add a mode with said features. It could be toggled on and off via the preferences file, similar to the original LU Mode.

I stand corrected. I certainly hope we do get a version with the power features someday.

More options for rotation and the ability to add custom decorations would be nice, but I think resizing parts or adding new parts/colors sort of runs against the core purposes of LDD. LDD exists to allow you to build whatever you want out of Lego elements, digitally. Adding parts or colors which have never been produced by Lego, or allowing you to resize parts (a straight-up impossibility with physical bricks, and one which would screw up compatibility between parts) don't strike me as particularly relevant to those aims, if not completely off-mission. LDD is in many ways the most realistic Lego CAD program, and I'd prefer they continue to work on making it more complete and realistic (by adding more real pieces, improving the connections between them, and possibly even implementing new features like physics simulations for gravity or functionality) rather than adding features which divorce it from reality altogether.

Hey Com., i think that there should be an Mobile Phone Version of LDD so that you can see your instructions on your MP. When it's possible (but i don't that it is) there also could be that you can shoot pics from your models and the designer build the model like there is it in real so that you don't need to build the complet model. See you; Flow;)

Smart phone version would be cool but it'd be limited. A 1000 piece model might be fine on desktop and laptops but the phone might be reduced to a crawl.

Smart phone version would be cool but it'd be limited. A 1000 piece model might be fine on desktop and laptops but the phone might be reduced to a crawl.

Its funny you can see lots of phones playing games, but IMO this is less demanding as games IF you go easy on shaders and visual geometry.

Edited by Zblj

It would be nice to have some kind of overlay function, both for flat images as for 3D models. Having a reference image in the background would be great to quickly lay out proportions. And it would also be great if you could import a model and display it half-translucent on the screen. It would be just an image that exists in space and that you can look around, but it wouldn't be "physically" there. So you could be making a big building with e.g. an interior courtyard, and then you could see how your new sections looks next to the original model (again, it would be good for proportions), without parts snapping there all of the time. As an small added feature for the proportion thing with the background image, having an option to go for orthogonal views would be great for that.

It's a bit of a stretch, but I would love to have Duplo bricks in LDD. Not only to quickly shape big volumes, but seriously, have you had a look at some of the Duplo parts? There are some really great curvy shapes there :drool: , like the swirly top, curvy point and even the cupcake wrapper... not to mention some great plant pieces. Having these elements would greatly expand the possibilities, and it would be hilarious to spot them on super-serious SNOT-heavy MOCs :laugh: .

Gotta be able to assign bricks a step number, a la Bricksmith. Simple yet brilliant system and tonnes better than the computer generated "instructions" created by LDD.

My wishlist:

• it must keep being as simple and light as possible (sorry guys, no cameras nor anything :tongue: );
  • it should have more options to export it directly to POV-ray, autocad, Photoshop or whatever, where then things may get complicated;
  • More bricks, old bricks, and bring the train stuff back from LDD2;
  • Those wheels that don't work, you know what I am talking about. Fix it or take it out;
  • I'd call for a Linux version, again, but I quit. I guess Lego believes there are not enough nerds using that OS...

Auto-delete empty groups, or at least hot-key the Yes/No selection so I can just press 'Y'. Having to move the mouse takes forever when I'm cleaning up empty groups.

The ability to lock the parts of a group together, so I click any element in that group and the whole thing is selected.

The ability to specify which two pieces should be connected to each other when connecting one group to another. That should drastically reduce the CPU computation load when joining two complex models.

The ability to lock the ground level.

Place wheeled objects and minifigs on top of a surface without having to connect them to something.

Minifig perspective camera mode.

Android/iOS model viewers. (I design on PC, but want something mobile when I fetch parts and build.)

Is wish that LDD could mark where a certain part doesnt fit in due to collsions...like a red area popping up or such...

Not sure if this was already mentioned, but I'd love to see keyboard shortcuts added for switching modes. For example: CTRL+E for LDD Extended, CTRL+M for Mindstorms.

How about proper multi-core support? I'd also like more attention paid to how parts line up based on their position to each other; I've got a small building where the wall panels don't actually attach at one end because the little offsets that have accumulated through building the wall in a circular fashion cause the last panel to not want to connect to the first!

I'm sure these suggestions have been covered, but just in case:

1. Improved decoration tool. It is almost unusable in its current form. Maybe a further breakdown by category (male/female faces, etc). And better selection. So many options are not available.

2. Part direction indicator. Some parts (faces, tiles, etc) are direction specific when it comes to decorating. Toggle an option to see which way the part is facing, so it can be placed properly prior to decorating.

3. Better flexible hose selection/controls.

4. Illegal placement indicator. Instead of deleting parts placed incorrectly, have them blink or flash upon opening, so missing parts don't need to be searched out.

5. More parts. All the parts, please! :-D

My new year wish for 2015: User Decorations Folder (MAC), User Decorations Directory (PC). This would be where User created art work (decorations, stickers & decals) would be placed and where LDD software would search after all of the LEGO provided decorations are searched. Much like the UserPalettes works now. The decoration tool does not need to work with the User Decorations Folder or the user created art work. AFOLs would accept the fact that editing the LXFML will be required to place a decoration on a brick. Knowledge of graphic creating software will be required. Standards will need to be followed. But intellectual property rights may prevent this software upgrade although the infringement would be the action of the user not LEGO. Just proofing that fact would cause LEGO to spend money.