BasOne

LDD 5, what features do YOU want?

I would like to see a new LDD mode just for printed parts (like LDD, LDD Mindstorms and LDD Extended). Printed parts could be found under their respective category. You'll be able to enlarge the thumbnails of the parts and the part designers could easily add the printed part by their ElementID (the long number that includes color and print). All printed parts would be together and will be easier to pick than now (with the constantly freezing scroll bar).

I would like to see a new LDD mode just for printed parts (like LDD, LDD Mindstorms and LDD Extended). Printed parts could be found under their respective category. You'll be able to enlarge the thumbnails of the parts and the part designers could easily add the printed part by their ElementID (the long number that includes color and print). All printed parts would be together and will be easier to pick than now (with the constantly freezing scroll bar).

I would really appreciate these two features:

• A tool which "fits" relevant prints together, so that if I put the "kilt" chest print, for example, it offers me a Yes/No chance to automatically apply the corresponding leg and back chest prints (it's frustrating to go through all the belts, legs, and backs until you find the correct one)
  • Bigger decoration interface, as sometimes it's impossible to understand which print I'm looking at.

I'd like it when you attach a round piece with mutiple connection holes to a technic axle. Say one of the larger toothed gears. That it wouldn't change holes when sliding it down the axle. I had that happen many times when lining up large gears and wheels.

-more bricks

-better collison control for axis and technicparts

-option to put an Image in the backround of the 3 axis, so you can easier model shapes.

-better camera Options, more then one camera, saveable Position

-a modus were you can use only available bricks

-option to chosse a point at a brick to rotate it free arounf that point

and many more :laugh:

Don't know if this is possible but, Right now in 4.3 I have tried to build a car (on a base plate) and either I'm just that new to this or it's impossible. I have managed to do it but only after adding some bricks (like a stand) to build the car on. Doing it this way, the tires do not touch the baseplate. I would like to be able to build a car in the garage without having it on a stand.

Don't know if this is possible but, Right now in 4.3 I have tried to build a car (on a base plate) and either I'm just that new to this or it's impossible. I have managed to do it but only after adding some bricks (like a stand) to build the car on. Doing it this way, the tires do not touch the baseplate. I would like to be able to build a car in the garage without having it on a stand.

This has nothing to do with wished features! It's a matter of skills. No hard feelings but maybe you need to practice more! To help you all I can say is move the lower bricks to an upper position. I assume tires aren't the lower bricks ( Z axis) of your 3D model...

I would love to see 2 features:

1. Start multiple instances of LDD.

I use 3 monitors, and sometimes it is very helpfull for learning modeling to compare someone's creation with mine =)

I would like to see both models (reference and mine) on different monitors simultaneously.

A workaround with importing reference model into mine project is not as good for me as having 2 instances of LDD with 2 camera controls in each.

I think it should not be default option, but have some checkbox in settings would be very helpfull for me.

2. Changing speed of camera move

Using "Alt" and "Ctrl" buttons with mouse wheel to move smaller and bigger steps on each move.

Edited by Happy SDE

1. Start multiple instances of LDD.

[...] to compare someone's creation with mine [...]

Use menu: File > Import Model (or [CTRL] + I) to add saved models into the current scene.

2. Moving camera in "strafe" mode.

This is possible by holding [shift] + right mouse button, while moving the cursor. Right-clicking a part can also centre the camera on it.

This is possible by holding [shift] + right mouse button, while moving the cursor. Right-clicking a part can also centre the camera on it.

Thank you! It works!!! =)

Use menu: File > Import Model (or [CTRL] + I) to add saved models into the current scene.

This is not exactly what I am looking for: in this case I will use only one camera control, that is focused on current part of my or reference model.

I would like to see both models (reference and mine) on different monitors simultaneously.

But as a workaround it definitely may be used with current version of LDD.

I've edited my request accordingly to your answer.

Edited by Happy SDE

Playing with LDD, I found 3 things that can improve my happiness:

1. Add tool-tip on groups in Brick palette (as on regular bricks).

2. More zoom on brick palette: sometimes it's hard to choose a brick without long close look.

3. "Memorizing" state of "Show/Hide camera control" between each start of LDD. I found that I disable it every time when I start LDD.

post-134408-0-91305600-1423699850_thumb.jpg

Edited by Happy SDE

I use 3 monitors, and sometimes it is very helpfull for learning modeling to compare someone's creation with mine =)

A workaround with importing reference model into mine project is not as good for me as having 2 instances of LDD with 2 camera controls in each.

I think it should not be default option, but have some checkbox in settings would be very helpfull for me.

Add AllowMultipleLDDInstances=1 to your Preferences file.

Edited by Masta' Blasta'

Add AllowMultipleLDDInstances=1 to your Preferences file.

It does not work for me:

First instance starts smoothly without attempts to install new bricks.

Second instance of LDD.exe is starting to download an update.

After downloading 37 MB, QT MessageBox

"Bricks download failed"

"Ldd cannot access the web server to retrieve new bricks. Do you want to run in offline mode?"

There are 2 options:

1. No => second instance of LDD will exit immediately.

2. Yes (run offline mode) => Windows MessageBox appears "LDD failed to start".

I've captured and placed all dialogs here:

https://www.dropbox....ED2MC4ywaa?dl=0

The link will be valid till 2015.02.20

I have Windows 8.1 x64, LDD 4.3.8 with brick version 1564.2

Edited by Happy SDE

Another thing I would like to have: Immediate rotate after brick selection.

Current behavior:

1. I select a brick.

2. If I want to rotate it, I need to drag it a little bit.

3. After the drag cursor with arrows appears and it is possible to use arrow keys to rotate the brick.

It would be nice to rotate without step 2:

(after step 1 arrow keys are not used by LDD).

Edited by Happy SDE

When I open several old sets with current version of LDD, sometimes I see dialog "n bricks were removed from the set".

It seems that physics engine has found some collisions, that earlier were not collisions.

But there is no information provided what kind of bricks (DesignID+Color) were removed. =(

It would be nice to have more information provided by LDD:

1. See some text/XML/... log with readable information why and what kind of bricks were removed.

2. Place removed bricks out of the model, but somewhere inside current LXF file (model will be without the bricks, but the bricks removed by LDD will be rendered not far from current model).

I suggest to use at least one approach, and if it is possible - both =)

Maybe someone will find a better solution to represent changes in LXF.

I just would like to know, what has happened with the model and fix it manually with knowing what bricks do I need to change.

Edited by Happy SDE

About the problem of removed bricks, LDD already provide some extra informations. This topic has been discussed on several occasions.

For example, take a look at here. Here is a wider search about the argument.

Edited by Calabar

About the problem of removed bricks, LDD already provide some extra informations. This topic has been discussed on several occasions.

For example, take a look at here. Here is a wider search about the argument.

Thank you Calabar!

This is exactly what I was looking for.

Edited by Happy SDE

Proper round parts would be nice, rather than seeing flat sides around a wheel, they would be showing true roundness, would make rendering with povray images more realistic

Hi!

I thought about the counting of weight in LDD. The program shows the parts number, the amount, so why not also weight? For example: you select 65 bricks of your 250 parts in the moc, and LDD shows, it's 74,5 g. (or kg, doesn't matter)

It will be useful to make rigid constructions, to see, is some part of the moc too heavy for support bricks, or not.

What do you think? :classic:

(If there is already a program compatible with LDD, which counts the weight, please let me know)

Edited by Mbmc

3. "Memorizing" state of "Show/Hide camera control" between each start of LDD. I found that I disable it every time when I start LDD.

Yes! I maximize the window and hit ctrl+1 (to hide the camera control) every time without even thinking about it these days.

I thought about the counting of weight in LDD. The program shows the parts number, the amount, so why not also weight?

Interesting. No need for a physics engine as it's just a value attached to each brick.