Lasse D

Lasse's Model Team Construction Yard

Lasse D, awesome! Can i ask how you made those instructions?

I hope it is automatic.

I'm also considering writing my own LEGO CAD because i haven't had much luck with the existing ones. I plan to give MLCAD a shot next.

Thank you!

I'm using MLCad for modelling and an old version of LPub for generating the images using LDraw. It is far from automatic.

Do you recon which parts the front sides would be?

Thanks for the information on the CAD software. I can't wait to give them a try.

I'm a very experienced graphics and math software engineer. I really would love to apply my knowledge to a user friends LEGO cad. Because really, there is a maximum density that LEGO can achieve. I'd like the software to do more of the work on "predicting" what the author wants to do.

As far as the sides, I have never seen either of those pieces and therefore my opinion is irrelevant. :) You are the master. Your trucks are gorgeous. What ever decision make we be a great one.

If i had to give a novice answer, i'd try some more of the 1x2 slope, 4 wide. Though it would be a much more simplistic look. Personally i like the front very much. The cowling look those parts give it is very cool. It adds that "if you kind of squint you would not believe how much detail you will see" feel to it.

Thanks!

Well. Now I have given it a go on updating the sides to better reflect the typical type of cowling that you se on the R-series topline. The light boom has been moved down (also to make it more realistic) and other minor details have been changed:

2scania_topline1_side.jpg

And now for the comparison shot with the old model from 2009:

4scania_topline_compare1.jpg

There is a problem with the mechanism of my latest container trailer:

construction6.png

Once the legs are partially down, the rubber (actually silicone) band causes the clicker to be engaged no matter if the trailer is going back or forth. It is therefore not possible to reverse without having the legs go down.

This new design makes the trailer more enjoyable to drive around:

4trailermechanismmarch13.png

The new mechanism works as follows:

Blue: Main drive power from the wheels.

Red: direction-dependent clicker engages one side when going forward and the other when reversing.

Pink: Mechanism engaged when going forward. The 1:3 gearing minimises mechanical drag when driving forward.

Green: Mechanism engaged when reversing.

Yellow: Mechanism to engage/disengage the legs.

In order to reverse one simply has to go a bit forward now and then in order to not fully engage the legs.

Building instructions for this modified trailer to appear soon.

Update

I have added instructions for the new trailer design. Click the picture:

ContainerTrailer20d_0_19.png

Edited by Lasse D

I will, but first once I have rebuilt the Scania trucks with automatic coupling mechanism. I have found out that the clicker mechanism doesn't work properly, so I have updated the mechanism as follows:

4scaniahighlinemechanism.png

The mechanism is now quite simple:

Green: Drive

Blue: Hatch mechanism always makes the black rubber-liftarm rotate, but the gearing makes the drag on the drive mechanism minimal and the functionality is still intact (uncouples when reversing)

I have updated the instructions for the truck (click the picture for the isntructions):

ScaniaHighline2_0_24.png

And the final truck in digital form:

ScaniaHighline2_0_39.png

Edited by Lasse D

I follow your work now for just over 1 year now Lasse D, and everytime i am wonder your stunning working studded models :wub: .

Normaly i am a studless builder, but whit mine last moc i find out i love also to build in studded.

I will wand build one off your studded truck's and learning how all the buildings technics works in studded.

Greats Edwin

And if you prefer to use a (smaller) Large motor or simply like the top of a topline Scania R-series, then there's also building instructions for this model as well now. The mechanics are the same as in the red Highline truck.

ScaniaTopline_0_25.png

ScaniaTopline_0_43.png

Up next: the mechanism behind this trailer:

3trail.jpg

Edited by Lasse D

And now you can build your own:

HelicopterTrailer_c.png

This is how it works.

helicoptertrailermechanism.png

Blue: Connected directly to the wheels.

Green: Clicker ensures the mechanism is only engaged while reversing.

Red: Turns the legs around and disengages the coupling when the legs are pointing down.

Edited by Lasse D

Suspension?

challenge-accepted.jpg?w=800

And yes, it has to be independent.

Wow, somehow I missed this topic, all of your MOCs are really impressive, Lasse! I love how there is so much detail yet so much functionality in your models :wub:

It is always good with challenges. I will work on the first part (8x4, 4 wheel steering):

170_man_cement_jul13.jpg

Uhh, that looks like a racing truck - but do you think it will beat an Combine? I have my doubt! :grin:

A fantastic model, Lasse! I've always liked your MOCs. Especially your SNOT details! :laugh:

How wide is that truck? Because I have figured out how to make a 7-wide steered and suspended axle ;)

Here is a drawing of what I came up with:

11111660916_34762e7254_c.jpg

11111662316_c76f9e80f9_c.jpg

I hope it's clear enough, unfortunately I don't have any CAD programs nor the correct parts to build it.