Rufus

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 6 Discussion

I think Lego tries to predict which minifigures will be in the highest demand and then puts the least amount of them in a box. Then, people wind up buying more unwanted minifigs while hoping to find the one they are actually looking for. That's the whole point of the blind packaging. For this reason, I expect to see only three or even two Roman soldiers per box. (hopefully not two)

At least they don't make some even rarer. Imagine if they had special minifigs that didn't even show up in every box, or if they had, extremely rare alternate colors and such...

With the Gladiator in S5 and the Romen solier in S6 maybe we are closer to a Rome theme.

I really think the series are getting better and better.

Edited by LEGOMAN132

I think Lego tries to predict which minifigures will be in the highest demand and then puts the least amount of them in a box. Then, people wind up buying more unwanted minifigs while hoping to find the one they are actually looking for. That's the whole point of the blind packaging. For this reason, I expect to see only three or even two Roman soldiers per box. (hopefully not two)

I think they must reach a middle, optimal point. Make your target audience feel they can't get the figures they want, fill them with figures they don't want, and they will probably feel disatisfied with the product and not buy it at all.

If I remember correctly, the interview on Brickjournal said that one of the reasons to keep the blind packaging is being able to make some minifigs that would otherwise be too risky an inversion. We wouldn't have got many of the figures that we got.

So yes, we have to search many packages to find the figs, which is very annoying. However, the reason I mentioned above is the only one that makes me tolerate blind packaging slightly.

Then, people wind up buying more unwanted minifigs while hoping to find the one they are actually looking for. That's the whole point of the blind packaging. For this reason, I expect to see only three or even two Roman soldiers per box. (hopefully not two)

So yes, we have to search many packages to find the figs, which is very annoying. However, the reason I mentioned above is the only one that makes me tolerate blind packaging slightly.

Not AFOLS. I wanted only lizardmen dwarves and gladiators from s5 and now I have 10, 15 and 10... and with 0% errors. Feeling the packages is easy if you know how to. I don't feel ashamed, some clerks watch you oddly but also someone asked me to feel it for him too. I never get unwanted minifigs. In s6, with the roman shield and spear it would be easiest. I will build an army.

Consider also this thing: the shop owners are really GAINING if you wipe away a certain minifig, for kids will come back every time hoping to get it and getting more minifigs, only for NOT finding it since you bought them all.

I don't feel bad for that. Minifig hunt is like other hunts: no rules.

Edited by Itaria No Shintaku

Not AFOLS. I wanted only lizardmen dwarves and gladiators from s5 and now I have 10, 15 and 10... and with 0% errors. Feeling the packages is easy if you know how to. I don't feel ashamed, some clerks watch you oddly but also someone asked me to feel it for him too. I never get unwanted minifigs. In s6, with the roman shield and spear it would be easiest. I will build an army.

Consider also this thing: the shop owners are really GAINING if you wipe away a certain minifig, for kids will come back every time hoping to get it and getting more minifigs, only for NOT finding it since you bought them all.

I don't feel bad for that. Minifig hunt is like other hunts: no rules.

Some of us AFOLs are mortals and make mistakes. :blush: I'm really not as fool proof as many of the members of this forum, especially since I like to get one of each fig, this leaves a very small margin for mistakes.

I think that could be true, but still, kid's money comes from their parents. If parents saw that a minifigure is impossible to get, then they would probably be more reluctant to buy these packages. What I want to say is that there is a middle point in which Lego has an optimal gain.

Some of us AFOLs are mortals and make mistakes. :blush: I'm really not as fool proof as many of the members of this forum, especially since I like to get one of each fig, this leaves a very small margin for mistakes.

I think that could be true, but still, kid's money comes from their parents. If parents saw that a minifigure is impossible to get, then they would probably be more reluctant to buy these packages. What I want to say is that there is a middle point in which Lego has an optimal gain.

Well, of course I also like to have 1x of each minifig, that's why I buy a full box with a friend. Lucky enough that I found a shopkeeper who will sell me the full box for 90€ (thus paying 1.50€ per minifig). The remaining minifigs are usually sold out on bricklink in a small time.

:)

And I (respectfully) disagree; I think it's nothing like that at all. I think LEGO tries to predict what the overall balance of demand will be and then tries to set the proportions to match that demand. I further think people who think TLG is intentionally keeping the most in-demand figures scarce are completely oblivious to the fact the target audience for these is young children, who won't necessarily want figures in the same proportions as AFOLs.

There may be a bunch of AFOLs who wanted vast hordes of Spartan warriors, but TLG probably did all their market research for the first two series with kids, who presumably didn't particularly covet Spartans over witches and vampires, say, or even traffic cops. After the unexpectedly huge demand for the first two series, and in particular the interest from AFOLs, I think TLG has really tried to take AFOL interests into account and tweak the proportions accordingly. Even so, I think they're a) putting the greater emphasis on what kids want, or at least what they think kids want, and b) trying not to skew the assortments too heavily (i.e., trying to keep the frequency of each figure somewhere around three to five per box - the handful of times they've had something different at first, like having only two fishermen or crazy scientists per box, they've adjusted it partway through production so the overall mixes for the entire run falls within the desired range).

Consider this: they're not really going to have trouble selling all the figures anyway, regardless of how skewed the mixes are or aren't. They therefore have no reason to make certain figures super-rare or super-plentiful. They're not a trading card or other traditional "collectibles" company, and don't really adhere to all that market's conventions (at least, not yet, and hopefully not for a long time if ever).

Edited by Blondie-Wan

I think the minifigs with the most expensive accesories tend to be rarer. That is the reason the fisherman with the ultra long fishing rod was the hardest to find guy in series 3.

That's it.

Well, of course I also like to have 1x of each minifig, that's why I buy a full box with a friend. Lucky enough that I found a shopkeeper who will sell me the full box for 90€ (thus paying 1.50€ per minifig). The remaining minifigs are usually sold out on bricklink in a small time.

:)

Well, most of you people live in countries with a greater amount of AFOLs. In my case, I have no friend who collects these minifigures, and much less Lego at all. And I guess I could buy a box and sell all the other figures, but I just don't have the time to do so myself.

Luckily for me I just got a great deal with S5 :classic:

Hi all,

Can anyone confirm the rumor i heard about serie 6 having a roman soldier.

Saw some blurry pics, anyone seen some better pics?

Cheers,

Pally

Hi all,

Can anyone confirm the rumor i heard about serie 6 having a roman soldier.

Saw some blurry pics, anyone seen some better pics?

Cheers,

Pally

Hi Pally,

You might like reading this thread. Besides, there's a retailer image of series 6 here.

Indeed, there is a Roman soldier. :classic:

Cheers

Edited by johnnyvgoode

Oh, man, that robot could have been really useful a few years ago in the LEGO Island Xtreme Stunts theme as a Brickster-Bot. Instead we got those dumb henchman.

I must say... the highlander's really growing on me. That's a heckuva torso print, and I can really imagine how a little cluster of those guys would look with different weapons and different long-haired headpieces. Plus multiples would mean that that sword can find its way into some other factions.

Personally I'm sure I'm the exception to the rule, but I'm not all that hyped about the Roman. Maybe get three or four, and the same can probably be said about the gray. But for me the Scotsman is the most likely to become an army builder.

I know that it would not be historically accurate, but I would LOVE to see some Spartans take on some Romans! Also, the Minotaur would go great with the Gladiator.

I found that on the web.... s we have another bot...the new villan...a boy tihe the bear...and a new nurse, a romanic, wow i like that!!!

Edited by muscleman

I really can't wait. I waited too see better pictures in order to comment those... and wow.

I always army-built only 3 or 4 minifig per series, but this time it would be worse.

Fact 1 : Feeling the bags would be really easier this time! Too many new molds easy to guess.

Fact 2 : At least 5 minifig going very well for fantasy scenarios like mine.

So here it goes:

Space Woman. Pink is not for me. 2x, as usual.

Flamenco Dancer. Absolutely unwanted. I will get the usual 2x.

Skater Girl. Who really needed one more? 2x

Surgeon. Intriguing headwear. But nothing more. 2x

Pijama boy. Funny concept. But nothing more. 2x

Mechanic. Interesting hair, and face. But 2x is enough.

Bandit. I already had enough in WW, but good guess. 2x

Grey. No need, but I reckon it may be appealing for other people. 2x

Robot. Very interesting concept. Maybe 3x.

Statue of Liberty. Perhaps parts are reusable for a fey? If yes 5x, if not 2x.

Butcher. Excellent, with cleaver and T-Bone. 4x for sure.

Leprechaune. WOW! 6x, I don't go for leprechaunes armies... but at least 5 plus the usual on the shelf.

Genie. 6x. See above.

Roman Soldier. 11x, too great... maybe more.

Minotaur. 11x, I can't buy less.

Highlander. THE BEST!! Longswordsssssssssssssssssssss!!! I'll buy as more as I can of this one!

And I suppose per Christmas we will have news of series 7!

Having stewed upon the imagery for a bit longer, it's time for SilentMode's Call of the Week. :excited:

Don't bother asking, you won't get any from me: Alien, female skateboarder. (for army building)

Won't say no to: surgeon, boy in pyjamas, female astronaut, toy robot. (collecting primarily for parts)

Take them or leave them: flamenco woman, Bandit, Highlander, Statue of Liberty, Butcher, Leprechaun. (more interested in parts than figure)

You can have 'em: Mechanic, Legionnaire, Genie, Minotaur. (just one for the collection - apart from the Mechanic's toolbox, perhaps.)

Just take this as advance notice on what I'll be trading. :classic:

You know, this made me think. What the hell are you up to this time??? :laugh:

A great big fat friggin' "DITTO!" on that from me. :laugh:

You know, this made me think. What the hell are you up to this time??? :laugh:

In all honesty, I'm not sure yet.