Rufus

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 6 Discussion

I think I remember reading that if pics are leaked at enough time before release, it's enough time for a competitor to copy the new elements and release their own version first.

That would make A LOT of sense. However, I do wonder why nobody has done it with all the pic leaks there have been.

I think I remember reading that if pics are leaked at enough time before release, it's enough time for a competitor to copy the new elements and release their own version first.

Makes sense... By the way, I noticed that Playmobil is now also doing mystery bags with collectible figures...

Edited by iKonoKlasT

Just because no one does it now doesn't mean they never will, and is no reason to become complacent.

By the way, I noticed that Playmobil is now also doing mystery bags with collectible figures...

So is MegaBloks. I saw mystery MegaBlok Hello Kitty packets at a Borders a few weeks ago.

Just because no one does it now doesn't mean they never will, and is no reason to become complacent.

Fair enough. If that is the explanation, then I think that Lego is right. :classic:

Still, I just don't see why those companies that copy Lego's stuff haven't taken advantage of this.

Edited by johnnyvgoode

The damage these leaks do is debatable, however, once information is out, it's out. I've seen a lot of companies trying to fight leaks these days to no avail. They should either not comment on them until they are ready or better yet, quickly release higher quality official photos so their products can make a better first impression on consumers. There is no point in Lego trying to hide this info now but I agree with Eurobricks for cooperating.

You'd think they'd try to prevent things like this a little harder. And the thing is, when pictures like that are posted on the internet, they're everywhere, on Blogs, Facebook Pages, collecting websites, and on people's desktops... :wink:

But I totally understand their removing of pictures.

Edited by Parrothead Rasmus

That TLG believe earlier pictures are risky is understandable. And they are in their right to ask for deletion as they own the copyright on these things.

However, I think it is rather lame. If employees in China plant are able to take out production things and sell them. Then I would say that any competitor wanted to get information already knew that they were coming long before they were posted in the site.

In this specific case, the pictures have been around for so long already before TLG started asking for them to be removed that it seems pretty pointless to do it today. People (and competitors) are one google search away of finding all the pictures.

Edited by vexorian

That TLG believe earlier pictures are risky is understandable. And they are in their right to ask for deletion as they own the copyright on these things.

However, I think it is rather lame. If employees in China plant are able to take out production things and sell them. Then I would say that any competitor wanted to get information already knew that they were coming long before they were posted in the site.

In this specific case, the pictures have been around for so long already before TLG started asking for them to be removed that it seems pretty pointless to do it today. People are one google search away of finding all the pictures.

Completely true... I wonder if Lego will take any measures against this happening again. Maybe they will be sanctioned?

Personally as much as I'm eager to get previews of upcoming minifigures series (and as much as I was wow-ed by these leaks) I would hate to see my own work presented to the world without my consent especially the way it was done this time around: the statue of liberty with the dress backward? An alien head with a body that doesn't match?

Even if LEGO is late to react if they are uneasy with the leaked picture for one reason or another, asking for removal is totally understandable.

As a software developer I can totally imagine trying to contain any further spreading if a some of my code had been leaked in an half baked state still full of bugs... Clearly the internet is wide enough that leaks can never be fully contained but asking major outlets for the fans like this very forum to cooperate by removing the images is the least LEGO could do and I'm glad that Eurobricks indeed cooperated because it was the right thing to do.

The analogy does not work that well. These are pictures of the figures and no specifications for the molds / printed elements. Nevertheless, the best way to avoid your code to appearing without your consent everywhere is to avoid adding an economical benefit to spreading the code without permission, aka don't make the code secret in the first place.

And that's the thing, if TLG released early pictures of their stuff, they wouldn't need to protect their ideas. Because competitors would already become unable to copy them without everyone noticing.

They are completely entitled to ask for removal of the pics, but that does not mean it is true that they have to do it with such urgency.

Anyway, BS gallery, for anyone who hasn't seen the pictures yet to take advantage of it before it gets wiped: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=480183

Edited by vexorian

The analogy does not work that well. These are pictures of the figures and no specifications for the molds / printed elements. Nevertheless, the best way to avoid your code to appearing without your consent everywhere is to avoid adding an economical benefit to spreading the code without permission, aka don't make the code secret in the first place.

And that's the thing, if TLG released early pictures of their stuff, they wouldn't need to protect their ideas. Because competitors would already become unable to copy them without everyone noticing.

Well the thing is, TLG has done press releases of larger sets before, but those are always of final designs and images. For them to announce the product requires that the product be fully designed with all the parts molded, and getting the product to that stage has many opportunities for a leak to occur.

Makes sense... By the way, I noticed that Playmobil is now also doing mystery bags with collectible figures...

A lot of toy companies have been doing that for ages. Lego didn't invent that marketing ploy.

-Omi

A lot of toy companies have been doing that for ages. Lego didn't invent that marketing ploy.

-Omi

Ok with that, but Playmobil copies LEGO since I remember... sometimes seems like their policy is "Let's wait and see what TLC does, then copy it."... It doesn't seem fair to me that as soon as LEGO does collectible figures, playmobil does it.

Or not?

I really hope these leaks are really making it into Series 6, or later, because they are great! Maybe the quality doesn't look perfect on some of them (the butcher's plastic for instance), but the subjects are amazing. The Statue of Liberty and the Genius are really original ideas!

Ok with that, but Playmobil copies LEGO since I remember... sometimes seems like their policy is "Let's wait and see what TLC does, then copy it."... It doesn't seem fair to me that as soon as LEGO does collectible figures, playmobil does it.

Or not?

Mah... competitor companies do this all the time in every market, as long as there is no industrial espionage (e.g. stealing confidential information), I think it's normal.

Also, I give credit for Playmobil to have introduced Pirates in the 80s long before Lego did.

Edited by Legoist

Come on everyone, 'nuff talk of TLG's policies on leaked pictures and information now. This thread has gone decidedly off-topic.

You've mostly all seen the pictures, so you know what's in store... please keep the discussion to the upcoming series 6 release.

Come on everyone, 'nuff talk of TLG's policies on leaked pictures and information now. This thread has gone decidedly off-topic.

You've mostly all seen the pictures, so you know what's in store... please keep the discussion to the upcoming series 6 release.

Agreed. Someone leaks the missing 6 minifigs ASAP please!!!

^^

Right. Speaking of that, the genie is my definite fave! (For the moment). It will probably remain so. But if is not... at least one of the 6 figs is uber awesome :grin:

These were made for the royal wedding, and they're rare figures.. is there a possibility of seeing these pieces in the future CMF's series? I do think so about the bride and the man's hair and head.

288nsrd.jpg

Source: Matt the LEGO designer from Flickr

Edited by Otherworld

Source: Matt the LEGO designer from Flickr

Matt? I think you mean Mark, a.k.a. Nabii. I'm pretty sure he's stated that these two figs will never go into full production; they were made specifically to represent Will and Kate in the royal wedding display.

Lego need to find something other than that slope for dress lower halves. It makes all the females seem Amazonian. They need to make a lower slope or a dedicated piece for the purpose.

For those of you still looking for the pictures, I've got them up on my blog. See it in my sig :)

Ta for that! :sweet:

I must say this series is looking great! Im digging that pink helmet... :wub:

CF

Lego need to find something other than that slope for dress lower halves. It makes all the females seem Amazonian. They need to make a lower slope or a dedicated piece for the purpose.

There needs to be a petition about this, or something. How hard can it be to commission a slightly different mould exclusively for skirts?

Also it would be great if they reprinted this new piece all the skirts I currently own, so that I can replace them all...