Sebeus I

Flying Dutchman WIP

I'm looking for alternatives for the black masts, most logical would be to use round 2x2 bricks I suppose.

That's what I would do, shouldn't be too hard I think, just put some axles in there.

dsc04682.jpg

Came to my mind earlier on that since the release of Lady Liberty in CMS6 that the spyglass part 64644 is now available in sand green. Seeing the way you build (Which is fantastic by the way) You might have use for the crown, slope, and arms from the fig as well. Just a thought. Keep up the great work!

Came to my mind earlier on that since the release of Lady Liberty in CMS6 that the spyglass part 64644 is now available in sand green. Seeing the way you build (Which is fantastic by the way) You might have use for the crown, slope, and arms from the fig as well. Just a thought. Keep up the great work!

I haven't found the CMS 6 yet but it's very interesting indeed, the perfect sollution to use my design in the right color, must get six of them :pir-classic:

The facial expression reminds me of the Black Pearl's idol and the crown could indeed be useful.

Update time:

dsc05420.jpg

dsc05424.jpg

dsc05432.jpg

dsc05429.jpg

As you can see I used the classic rigging pieces on the Dutchman, they aren't fully attached yet and I doubt I get a clean connection,

Most important reason I chose for these prefab parts is that I'm a noob with costum stuff but evetually it would be kind of nice if I could make this ship 100% official LEGO.

I might try costum rigging after all, it would look better...or not.

Another dilemma, what's more important, 100% lego or more accurate to the real thing ?

dsc05258.jpg

I also made two longboats, in the movies one is only used by Will turner to escape the Dutchman but that's it, even the crew of the FD doesn't use them to go from ship to land, appearently they rather swim :pir-hmpf_bad:

I don't know where exactly I should put them on the ship either :pir_wacko:

Anyway, next time I will have complete masts and finished stern.

1.jpg

btw, I have placed my old version of the FD on Cuusoo

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

Fantastic! pirate_wubnew.gif Absolutely marvelous

Brown doesn't get very odd in the shrouds but doesn't belong there pirate_sad2.gif I'm always up for custom things and if you don't have that much experience in that its time for improving pirate_classic.gif I don't see any advantages of getting a worser model but 100% Lego instead of a fantastic FD with fantastic rigging! Also the sails… I guess that you will have to go custom there anyway.

As for the longboats I don't recall the exact scene in the movies but I think that some larger boats would be better. I'm not saying Lego prefabs but IMO something at that scale. Their place should be in top of each other in that gap (don't recall its name right now pirate_hmpf.gif) you left in front of the main mast.

Great work again Sebeus,

I really like what you did, but please give the custom rigging a try. You can always take it off again.

Also I tend to agree with Frank, that you longboats are a bit small.

I made a barge ones, but I think its to big for your FD. Click

(..) Their place should be in top of each other in that gap (don't recall its name right now you left in front of the main mast.

We had a discussion about this subject before and it is called the waist. But on a 'normal' ship that would the place to store the boats, but I don't recall them being there on the FD. Although the FD is a movie set, so there is no need for the film makers to be correct, and store the boats somewhere. They can just make them appear when needed.

Bart

:pir-oh: Has this been blogged already? No it hasn't. Time to change that!

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

The only advice I can give you is to consider making the mizzen mast with the same bricks as the other ones.

It will become a lot higher and I'm not sure if it will be sturdy enough.

But what a beauty it is!

Brown doesn't get very odd in the shrouds but doesn't belong there pirate_sad2.gif I'm always up for custom things and if you don't have that much experience in that its time for improving pirate_classic.gif I don't see any advantages of getting a worser model but 100% Lego instead of a fantastic FD with fantastic rigging! Also the sails… I guess that you will have to go custom there anyway.

As for the longboats I don't recall the exact scene in the movies but I think that some larger boats would be better. I'm not saying Lego prefabs but IMO something at that scale. Their place should be in top of each other in that gap (don't recall its name right now pirate_hmpf.gif) you left in front of the main mast.

Great work again Sebeus,

I really like what you did, but please give the custom rigging a try. You can always take it off again.

Also I tend to agree with Frank, that you longboats are a bit small.

I made a barge ones, but I think its to big for your FD. Click

I'll give that costum rigging a try but don't expect much :pir_laugh2:

Fortunatly there's a great tutoral in the index

For the longboats I intentionally kept them this small so they wouldn't take too much space on the ship. I think 5 bricks wide would be Ideal...but not so easy to acclompish either.

Unless I use brick-built boats like those of you, Bart but for smaller boats it will probably look too chunky.

I'll give it another try after I tried some rigging :pir_laugh2:

:pir-oh: Has this been blogged already? No it hasn't. Time to change that!

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

The only advice I can give you is to consider making the mizzen mast with the same bricks as the other ones.

It will become a lot higher and I'm not sure if it will be sturdy enough.

But what a beauty it is!

Thanks, the mizzen mast should have a smaller diameter, 2x2 is too big but 1x1 is too small so that mast piece was ideal. Maybe I can add some grey tiles via the technic holes to ressemble the color patern of the big mast more.

I could easely make it a bit higher by adding some round bricks under the mast piece, I'll try that first.

So I did some costum rigging and I must admit, it looks a lot better than those prefab brown ladders I used earlier :pir_laugh2:

dsc05457.jpg

dsc05472.jpg

All right, I'm not the most handy guy, ofcourse this is the flying dutchman, there's room for irregularities :pir-tongue:

I made this picture to give you a better reference for the size of the ship, in my living room :pir_laugh2:

dsc05491.jpg

The only things that remain are the sails, the cannons on the upper deck and the anchors.

dsc05511.jpg

This is the cannon design I'll use on the upper cannon deck, it would be ideal if I could make this in dark gray but unfortunatly I don't have the parts to accomplish that.

dsc05509.jpg

My first anchors were black but I might make them blend in more with the ship by using grey and tan.

Anyway, I don't think there will be more updates in this tread (9 pages :pir-oh: )

I'll be missing it though, when there are no more bricks to add, what should I do next ?

this is my first big project in the sense that I updated a WIP tread, I spent many months on it and it's my biggest in-one-piece creation.

Posting the progress of my ship here was a good Idea, I've got a lot of good suggestions and altered my design in the proces.

My dad asked me if this was the biggest lego ship ever build, I wish it was, ever since I joined classic-pirates I learned that there are some real leviathans around.

I'm happy with the size of my ship though, a total lenght of 129 studs, that's not so bad.

I will post the completed ship somewhere next month, maybe I'll wait till after the Lego event I'm attending the 21st of March (Brickmania) so if anyone lives in the neighborhood, that's your chance to see it for real :pir_laugh2:

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

You've convinced me on the mizzen mast :pir-classic: I guess it will be stable enough.

The rigging looks quite good on the foremast, but you could consider using a different kind of rope.

I think the ropes would look a lot better suited if they were more tight.

It looks quite loose now which is a bit onfortunate on such a beautiful hull.

The knotting technique and the colour look okay so I think just another type or rope will do the trick.

It's just a suggestion but I wish you good luck anyways.

This is absolutely incredible!! I can't believe that you have managed to do this with Legos. My hat's off to you. If only Lego would release something half this beautiful for the Dutchman (they would probably butcher it like they did with the Black Pearl). I can't wait to see it once you have the sails on it. Is it easy to access the interior? How sturdy is it? Keep up the great work!

This is absolutely incredible!! I can't believe that you have managed to do this with Legos. My hat's off to you. If only Lego would release something half this beautiful for the Dutchman (they would probably butcher it like they did with the Black Pearl). I can't wait to see it once you have the sails on it. Is it easy to access the interior? How sturdy is it? Keep up the great work!

The interior can be accessed via the port side of the ship, which is open, there are no removeable decks though (except for the poop deck and the grates on the forecastle), I had to fix the decks to make it sturdier. It's sturdy enough to carry it around but because it's so big and heavy I wouldn't exactly call it swooshable :pir_laugh2:

Amazing! when you finish up I'll pm you my address so that you can send it to me :pir_laugh2:

Emerging from under the sea...

It's time to give the Flying Dutchman a makeover. 

35707046054_177ebcc54c_z.jpg

One of the changes includes a snotted base of two studs high that will be placed underneath the ship to accentuate the tumblehome and overall height of the ship. (The picture shows only part of that base).

This was the result;

35866380620_a9defdb531_z.jpg

Now, after that I was tempted to do some more changes, so bit by bit I began taking apart the ship.

36218170136_9a4a2e78d9_c.jpg

For your information, I split the ship in two in a later stage because it was almost impossible to transport it in the trunk of my car in one piece.

A big difference with the original design is that the ship is now almost completely closed, both sides are finished, there's no more access to the interior. I will add reïnforcement structures inside the now invisible parts of the ship to make it stronger.

36218168906_af7f2f5b06_z.jpg

I also intend to give the stern a facelift, the decorations were quite fragile and I wasn't really satisfied with the hull shape in that area.

35707055764_abb222e8d7_z.jpg

New rigging is also on the list, it's going to be a little more detailed and more extended (not only the shrouds).

35707052124_faa7bb52b7_z.jpg

As I now have a bigger budget to get things as I want them I bricklinked what I needed to build myself the missing upper deck cannons.

36495436896_9b1c160839_z.jpg

The prow gets a facelift as well, longer bowsprit, more accentuated 'teeth' and triple gun demon faces. Eventually I'll be adding some sails as well but first everything else must be right.

I'm meeting up with Legostone and Captain Greenhair next weekend so I'll have plenty of expert friends to get this ship how I want it to be :laugh:.

For now, enjoy these WIP pictures.

Edited by Sebeus I

36585980245_20c95ed2e3_c.jpg

Making progress :sweet:.

36539579706_6b9dcb20b5_z.jpg

36448107491_6450f05865_c.jpg

The dark tan log bricks are just temporary, a help for getting the poop deck right. I ran out of small plates so I'll have to make another order.

I'm changing many things on this ship but still I think most people won't see the difference with the old version :laugh:.

Edited by Sebeus I

for the small guns, you have to switch the 1x1 round bricks 180° :p

9 hours ago, Maxim I said:

for the small guns, you have to switch the 1x1 round bricks 180° :p

Hmm, I like them better this way, they seem more robust. If turned around they would look like the barrel would explode after one shot.

More updates :classic:.

36615047355_b233c604d2_c.jpg

I took on the prow, the beak, the jaws,... Davy Jones Crocodile machine

With the white fangs and teeth it is now more in accordance with the overal style of the ship. (see battle tops and balconies).

36446068032_e94e3cfe2b_c.jpg

I tried some skull designs but eventually I kept the standard minifig head one. The Flying Dutchman has a grim reaper hanging on the bowsprit, his scythe being integrated in the bowsprit and his ribcage forming the start of the spiky structure that is the prow. But that skull should be a bit bigger, like the size of a 2x2 brick, or even bigger.

You can still see the front wall on this picture, I redesigned that as well, as you can see in the next picture:

36446059822_0ca9eabda0_c.jpg

This remains a complicated area however, the new design doesn't look particularly better in my opinion. If it wasn't for those devastating triple guns this would have been much easier to build. I might have another try at this part.

36446061322_d87932aee6_z.jpg

36615024425_20d6050217_z.jpg