Sebeus I

Flying Dutchman WIP

Ofcourse a ship like this needs a crew so I assembled some minifigures, one better than another :pir-laugh:

I sorted them this way so the ones I personally like most are on top.

captain_davy_jones.jpg

Davy Jones, the captain.

crewmember1.jpg

Octo dude.

crewmember2.jpg

Hammer guy (no wonder he's standing near the Kraken Hammer).

crewmember3.jpg

Trollface, the terrible.

crewmember4.jpg

Lefthook, I want to give this one a dark green bandana (sorry for the bad quality here, I really wanted a shot from in the lower gun deck).

crewmember5.jpg

Whip monster.

crewmember6.jpg

Drunky, this is a more recent member of the crew, as the Curse of the Flying Dutchman wants it the longer a crewmember is in service the more he becomes part of the ship, I try to express that by using the same color scheme of the ship on the minifigures.

crewmember7.jpg

Orc mouth

crewmember8.jpg

Crabster

crewmember9.jpg

Midget (every selfrespecting ship needs a tiny crewmember :pir_laugh2: ).

wyvern.jpg

Wyvern (he's not on the right place on the ship yet, he should be on the upper gun deck near the kraken hammer (below deck)

manta_warrior.jpg

Now this one, Manta Warrior is simply too elegant to be crew member of the flying dutchman so I won't use him.

squidface.jpg

And this one, Squid face, is terrible, I simply cannot allow it to come on board because the lime green is a gigantic disaster when combined with the FD color scheme, furthermore you can't really take this guy serious right ?

I did some search at bricklink for official minifigures,

Davy Jones, Maccus, Hadras and Bootstrap...

HOLY DUTCHMAN !

They are way too expensive, to get all 4 of them at the cheapest price it costs more than €40 !

So forgive me for not getting the official minifigures, I find my costum figures pretty decent, I gave them (temporarely) names so you can suggest which you absolutely don't like :pir_laugh2:

The last two (squid face and manta warrior) will not be used anyway.

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

Might I ask what that crate type object that Drunky is standing beside is?

p.s. All the names made me laugh. :pir-laugh:

It's some kind of wash table, just something to fill the empty spaces in the ship :pir_laugh2:

dsc03640.jpg

(there's a blue tile underneath the bars) (this is a picture from the prototype btw)

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

I did some search at bricklink for official minifigures,

Davy Jones, Maccus, Hadras and Bootstrap...

HOLY DUCTHMAN !

They are way too expensive, to get all 4 of them at the cheapest price it costs more than €40 !

Yeah, I noticed that too. I think though once you finally get the Dutchman done you should, at least, as a sort of celebratory gesture, get Captain Jones. (you're version really isn't bad at all. He's quite recognizable, but you should have the real thing, in my opinion at least.)

I have been following your progress silently, maybe because I'm a little shy hehe, but I must comment seeing your crewmembers, they are just awesome custom minifigs!

My favorites are: Lefthook, Trollface and Drunky hehe

Love the details you made on the gunports, at first I didn't noted the face, and I was about to ask you to make em, but it clearly is there, hehe, nice touch :pir-classic:

One question, did you had the chance to check the dutchman Carl Greatrix made some months ago before it was removed from the internet? ...he used some kind of skullface over the gunports, but that's not as accurate as in your desing :pir-tongue:

Edited by Yawgmoth

I wouldn't want to tangle with those fishy crew members. I wouldn't even want to be their mother. :pir-oh3:

I have been following your progress silently, maybe because I'm a little shy hehe, but I must comment seeing your crewmembers, they are just awesome custom minifigs!

My favorites are: Lefthook, Trollface and Drunky hehe

Love the details you made on the gunports, at first I didn't noted the face, and I was about to ask you to make em, but it clearly is there, hehe, nice touch :pir-classic:

One question, did you had the chance to check the dutchman Carl Greatrix made some months ago before it was removed from the internet? ...he used some kind of skullface over the gunports, but that's not as accurate as in your desing :pir-tongue:

yep, the moment I saw it I captured an image and saved it on my computer, it should be around here somewhere on my desktop :pir_laugh2:

I am lost for words! I have been ghosting this topic for a while, I remember your first version of the ship and I was amazed then! This just looks so accurate and the use of dark tan with light grey looks great. If TLC does make a D2C set I am going to be very disappointed when it doesn't look as stupendous as this version :pir_laugh2:

Just interested, are you going to give this ship some sails or not, as with the Flying Dutchman sometimes people tend not to use sails?

:jollyroger:

Just interested, are you going to give this ship some sails or not, as with the Flying Dutchman sometimes people tend not to use sails?

Unless I'm mistaken his first version had sails, so I can't see why he wouldn't, at the very least, use those same ones again; if not make something even better! :pir-classic:

I am lost for words! I have been ghosting this topic for a while, I remember your first version of the ship and I was amazed then! This just looks so accurate and the use of dark tan with light grey looks great. If TLC does make a D2C set I am going to be very disappointed when it doesn't look as stupendous as this version :pir_laugh2:

Unless I'm mistaken his first version had sails, so I can't see why he wouldn't, at the very least, use those same ones again; if not make something even better! :pir-classic:

Do I have a choice ? :pir_laugh2:

My old sails are not very usable anymore, I should make new ones I suppose

but I'm a real noob at such things like costum sails, costum rigging, costum..anything actually :pir_laugh2:

Does someone want to do it for me by any chance ?

Oh well, better yet,

oh hell, I'll just get some paper and see how it turns out :shark:

I began building on the FD again,

To get in the mood I watched Dead Man's Chest again, I've seen it over 20 times already, it really is sick... Oh well, as long as I don't feel ill :pir-grin:

Current condition:

dsc05147.jpg

I made a bricklink order, I need extra parts to implement the new gunport design on the lower gun deck.

I'm also short on inverted slope bricks and plates which are needed to construct the upper galleries and closing the cabin.

as you could probably see I replaced most of the broadside reinforcements, the 8x1 light grey tiles, by dark grey plates, I don't have enough yet but more are coming with my order.

The new gunports will not be easy to implement, I will have to take apart most of the ship to get there.

In the meantime I though I should make the masts, I was thinking of just taking the masts of my Black Pearl but...

dsc05140.jpg

As you can see it's pretty contrasting, the sharp black versus the general merging colorscheme of the FD.

Black seems to be the only option if I want to work with the classic mast pieces so I can't change much about that.

But I could use other colors on the booms and crow's nests (and eventually the sails ofcourse).

There's another issue, I constructed the main mast under an angle like the original plan's suggested but when watching the movie again I noticed there's no angle at all.

So I will reinstall the main mast, actually I'm glad there's no angle, the rigging will be much easier this way :pir-classic:

Yet, the rigging is bound to fail anyway, I'm not good at costum stuff like that, I wish someone would do it for me so I can fully concentrate on the lego aspect of the ship.

dsc05152.jpg

dsc05159.jpg

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

Looking good! I can't wait to see the finished product! Keep up the good work. :pir-classic:

Oh! She is taking her definitive shape so nicely! pirate_classic.gif

The grey plates in the side are great, as the prow, that section looks fantastic imo. The stern and the lower part of the galleries are also really nice.

Now there is something I really dislike pirate_sad2.gif I think that masts are terribly awful. Black is such a strong colour and you have built your ship with pretty clear tones, tan and light grey mostly… Why don't you use bricks 2x2 round with huge technic axes uniting them for structure? At least that's what I would do. Perhaps you can even work on a mixture of 3941.gifand 4032.gif (or other variants) to keep the aspect of the ship.

Moreover if you hate rigging and sails making (I love that pirate_tong.gif) the Flying Dutchman is the best vessel you could choose! You don't need to make her sails, I think it even looks better without them, and the ringing is very simple and basic, almost exclusively the shrouds (side rigging)776px-Shrouds_16th_Cent.jpg

Edited by Frank Brick Wright

Oh! She is taking her definitive shape so nicely! pirate_classic.gif

The grey plates in the side are great, as the prow, that section looks fantastic imo. The stern and the lower part of the galleries are also really nice.

Now there is something I really dislike pirate_sad2.gif I think that masts are terribly awful. Black is such a strong colour and you have built your ship with pretty clear tones, tan and light grey mostly… Why don't you use bricks 2x2 round with huge technic axes uniting them for structure? At least that's what I would do. Perhaps you can even work on a mixture of 3941.gifand 4032.gif (or other variants) to keep the aspect of the ship.

Using 2x2 round bricks makes the masts look to big on the top, the mast pieces have a much better shape, I did consider it though;

dsc05181.jpg

dsc05179.jpg

But as I don't have enough round bricks in appropriate colors it's kind of difficult, I want something consistent :pir_wacko:

Luckely the masts can easely be changed at this point so whatever I do, there's always a way back to try something else.

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

Current condition:

dsc05147.jpg

I'm so glad to see an update for this. :grin:

I feel like this is the first wide-angle side shot I seen of her, and she looks better than I remember. Maybe that's just cause it's been so long since I've seen anything of her. :tongue:

Keep plugging away Sebeus.

New gunport design is incorporated into the Flying Dutchman !

Okay, it didn't go that fast :pir_laugh2:

Unfortunatly I'm short on 6 vine parts, leaving 3 gun ports unfinished :pir-sceptic:

dsc05190.jpg

I think it looks a lot better now, much more faithful to the movie

dsc05188.jpg

dsc05183.jpg

I also started the upper gallery and it's quite the puzzle, not so easy to make it fit over the lower gallery, fortunatly I like puzzles like this :pir-devil:

As you can see it's nearly finished, it will probably take one more bricklink order though, considering the vines for the cannon ports and the masts.

In total I spent almost 100 euro's on bricklink orders for this ship already :pir_wacko:

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

This is such a nice model, I love it! :pir-wub:

Only question I have, is if the galleries aren't a bit too long in comparison to the rest of the ship?

And please don't use black masts, it does not look right IMO.

This is such a nice model, I love it! :pir-wub:

Only question I have, is if the galleries aren't a bit too long in comparison to the rest of the ship?

And please don't use black masts, it does not look right IMO.

Yes, the galleries, they should be long (actually they should even be 1 studs longer :pir_laugh2: ) It's a characteristic of the Flying Dutchman.

I'm looking for alternatives for the black masts, most logical would be to use round 2x2 bricks I suppose.

The FD is hard to build because the original ship looks "natural", full of nature. Now replicating nature is a hard topic, because it is rather asymmetrical and does not follows strict patterns. I am not very sure of this new gunport design. I actually like it a lot but I don't think you can came up with a design and repeat it through the entire hull, you must vary and create changes so that the ship loses its ordered and symmetrical style to dive into chaos. pirate_classic.gif

Now if it looks like I am being too boring in my critics it is because I am sure you can came up with a perfect model of the original FD pir_laugh2.gif

The galleries are looking fantastic, as the ship in general; it is nice to see the aftmost part of the vessel taking its definitive shape.