Sebeus I

Flying Dutchman WIP

So you only need a name? I believe the "walking platforms" are called gangways (reference on the bottom of this page).

As far as I know it's very unusual for a galleon to have those, but indeed the movie Flying Dutchman has them as well.

well there are more unusual things about the Flying Dutchman :pir_laugh2:

I wonder what is is for, on a regular ship having this feature I mean, there must be a reason.

Or maybe a 'normal ship' would have grates in the middle so it would be the access point for loading cargo ?

I wonder what is is for, on a regular ship having this feature I mean, there must be a reason.

Or maybe a 'normal ship' would have grates in the middle so it would be the access point for loading cargo ?

I'll go a bit off topic for this one time. Galleons indeed had grates.

But ship evolution made the grates lower by one deck, and place gangways instead.

So now the gangways defend the guncrew to get all sorts of wood fragments and stuff from above.

The open space makes the smoke easy to blow away. And the deck below the main deck gets more light and fresh air.

I hope I explained this clearly :pir-classic:

I'll go a bit off topic for this one time. Galleons indeed had grates.

But ship evolution made the grates lower by one deck, and place gangways instead.

So now the gangways defend the guncrew to get all sorts of wood fragments and stuff from above.

The open space makes the smoke easy to blow away. And the deck below the main deck gets more light and fresh air.

I hope I explained this clearly :pir-classic:

yes you did :pir-classic:

thanks.

Really nice detailed and choices!

The result of this test one will already be pretty heavy

And as response to someone earlier: the legend of the Flying Dutchman is a legend which exists already for centuries. We learned about this legend way before the first PotC :D

And needless to say it's indeed a Dutch ship :p

(...)

The weather deck (where the minifigure stands on) is interupted to reveal the main deck (the deck below the weather deck) and makes it accessable via 4 stairs, two on each side.

Does this section have a name or atleast the walking platforms (with the stairs) ?

(...)

The names main deck and weather deck are correct.

And like Admiral Croissant sad the walking platforms are called gangways.

I know for sure that when you have an open space like this, that part of the main deck has a specific name but I can't remember it at the moment, I will see if I can find it anywhere and then get back to you with an answer.

Grates on the main deck in that area would look nice, if you ask me.

Bart

Sebeus, great design, i especially love the implementation of the lion heads on the stern from mid 90's king castle set. 2 points for maybe improvement, though this is all very subjective: when you will have built the top deck, maybe the ship will appear a bit to narrow, just try to imagine, i said maybe....the other thing is, maybe there should be some optical illusion design on the waterline, because as it is now it is just to straight, you could of course just put the ship, when its finished, onto a water design plate with moc'ed water, or you put some plants, broken-look-alike design and so on at this line...

edit: ok, havent seen the pics on side 3 so far. concerning the width this should be ok now, dont forget the lion heads^^

Edited by IamF4u5t

The names main deck and weather deck are correct.

And like Admiral Croissant sad the walking platforms are called gangways.

I know for sure that when you have an open space like this, that part of the main deck has a specific name but I can't remember it at the moment, I will see if I can find it anywhere and then get back to you with an answer.

Grates on the main deck in that area would look nice, if you ask me.

Bart

Thanks, my previous version and the prototype had grates but I noticed the real FD doesn't have grates there, it does have some near the first mast.

Sebeus, great design, i especially love the implementation of the lion heads on the stern from mid 90's king castle set. 2 points for maybe improvement, though this is all very subjective: when you will have built the top deck, maybe the ship will appear a bit to narrow, just try to imagine, i said maybe....the other thing is, maybe there should be some optical illusion design on the waterline, because as it is now it is just to straight, you could of course just put the ship, when its finished, onto a water design plate with moc'ed water, or you put some plants, broken-look-alike design and so on at this line...

edit: ok, havent seen the pics on side 3 so far. concerning the width this should be ok now, dont forget the lion heads^^

Thank you, I'm working on the galleries but they're tricky :pir-classic:

I'm trying to figure out a way to infuse the lion heads without influencing the shape of the galleries too much.

Now about the shape of the ship, I think it still looks too straight on the pictures, however it does not in real, there is an optical illusion indeed, one caused by the camera.

When it's finished I'll film it pretty much the same way as I filmed my first version

A movie can sometimes show so many things you don't see on pictures.

hmmm, On the new video I'll add a nice soundtrack :pir-sweet:

In the meantime I'll post a new picture of my progress so far.

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

about the overall straightness - it does not look straight to me even not on the pictures. maybe try to put the widest part of the ship a bit more behind? but if you made the hull form as in the movie then this should be good also as it is now.

I found the name it's 'well deck'.

If you'd google it you see all kinds of navy ship with the moderen variant of the well deck,

but 'well deck' seems to be the correct name, (the Dutch name is 'kuildek' I found it via that way)

I added your plans to clear up the deck names.

6464837465_d3e47a6698_b.jpg

Then you might notice the name 'weather deck' has disappeared. but to my understanding the weather deck will be the general name for all decks subjected to the weather. so that means the forecastle, well deck, part of the quarter deck and the poop deck together are called the weather deck.

I also extended your drawing down a bit to get a reasonable draft and hold.

If someone knows better please tell so :)

Bart

I found the name it's 'well deck'.

If you'd google it you see all kinds of navy ship with the moderen variant of the well deck,

but 'well deck' seems to be the correct name, (the Dutch name is 'kuildek' I found it via that way)

I added your plans to clear up the deck names.

6464837465_d3e47a6698_b.jpg

Then you might notice the name 'weather deck' has disappeared. but to my understanding the weather deck will be the general name for all decks subjected to the weather. so that means the forecastle, well deck, part of the quarter deck and the poop deck together are called the weather deck.

I also extended your drawing down a bit to get a reasonable draft and hold.

If someone knows better please tell so :)

Bart

Thank you very much, this is exactly what I need, the well deck it is :pir-classic:

since I'm building from teh waterline I didn't bother much about drawing the draft :pir_laugh2:

though when I see this I must say it would be cool if I could build the complete ship...

Last update for 2011;

dsc04450.jpg

dsc04454.jpg

dsc04456.jpg

dsc04459.jpg

dsc04461.jpg

dsc04463.jpg

dsc04471.jpg

I need to buy more parts, the problem is that I don't know which parts as I haven't figered out a design for the galleries yet.

Maybe YOU can help me with that.

as a reference these pictures might be usefull;

24294426.jpg

5597819094_a5b3375dfb_z.jpg

vasa1.jpg

I'll be concentrating on other matters the coming two months so until then I won't be able to make progress in the build :pir_bawling:

Life gets in the way.

I've studied the Batavia for a while and I've made some sketches from internet pictures, so I think I may help you pirate_classic.gif

You have mainly two options, I think:

1) the use of6005.gifwhich is my favourite because it easily allows you to create the "arched" part and you can easily use a snot technique to build the lower part in the same way, with the exact same piece. If you don't want to do window you can even use 6183.gif which would be even simpler. But I prefer the first option, because you can work on details and still have a nice accurate look

2) the use of slopes with different angles, like 45 and 33, to create the "curve", tough I think it would be hard to be accurate.

[3) the use of plates, but it would be extremely hard, take a LOT of time, require a lot of parts, eventually tile it up and overall I still think the first option is the best]

Hope it helped! pirate_blush.gif

I've studied the Batavia for a while and I've made some sketches from internet pictures, so I think I may help you pirate_classic.gif

You have mainly two options, I think:

1) the use of6005.gifwhich is my favourite because it easily allows you to create the "arched" part and you can easily use a snot technique to build the lower part in the same way, with the exact same piece. If you don't want to do window you can even use 6183.gif which would be even simpler. But I prefer the first option, because you can work on details and still have a nice accurate look

Yeah, just like the videogame version has, I considered using those arch pieces so I did a little search at bricklink, turns out they are very expensive in the colors I need (gray and dark gray), I tried other colors but they were either also expensive, too few or not suited in my colorscheme :pir-sceptic:

2) the use of slopes with different angles, like 45 and 33, to create the "curve", tough I think it would be hard to be accurate.

That's what I'm trying to do now and you're right, it is hard to be accurate :pir_laugh2:

[3) the use of plates, but it would be extremely hard, take a LOT of time, require a lot of parts, eventually tile it up and overall I still think the first option is the best]

Plates ? you mean like this technique ?

the first option would be the easiest indeed, maybe I should consider bringing in some bluish (dark) gray but personally I think old gray and new (bluish) gray don't go well together.

There's a lot of experimenting to be done.

:pir_wacko:

Maybe it's the other way around, LEGO gets in the way of Life :pir_laugh2:

I really can't help it, I'm addicted to the project, about 5 days ago I woke up in the middle of the night and did some building on the ship.

Current state ;

dsc04573.jpg

dsc04576.jpg

I worked on the forecastle (there's a deck now) and the lower galleries (gallery since I'm only building the starboard side)

dsc04549.jpg

And this is the brilliant idea that made me come out of my bed in the middle of the night;

dsc04552.jpg

dsc04553.jpg

it's not perfect, but I think it will do the job just fine.

The shape is still alright.

dsc04578.jpg

I also added some pieces to the stern.

dsc04561.jpg

This was it for now, atleast I hope, I've got other things to do actually, waking up in the middle of the night to play with my lego is one thing, the reason I feel the need to post my progress is that, when I go to my room and I see my ship I get this adrenaline boost. Yeah Baby !

Just trying to share that feeling :pir_laugh2:

I really can't help it, I'm addicted to the project, about 5 days ago I woke up in the middle of the night and did some building on the ship.

I know exactly what you mean :pir_laugh2:

That's going to be HUGE ans very detailled, keep up the good work :thumbup:

I'm wondering how you're going to integrate those sand green pieces at the back?

I'm wondering how you're going to integrate those sand green pieces at the back?

I'm gonna get some more headlightbricks to attach them.

The color doesn't contrast very much with the gray so I can easely add some sandgreen bricks without messing up the color scheme.

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

This ship is HUGE! I wonder how I haven't seen this before.

Keep up the good work for sure. I can't wait for updates. It towers over all of my ships.

Your idea for the galleries is, indeed, genial! pirate_blush.gif I think it really gets a nice effect… No wonder why you decided to build in the middle of the night pirate_tong.gif

Waiting to see the next update!

I know exactly what you mean :pir_laugh2:

Same here. :pir-tongue:

That is another fabulous update Sebeus! Fantastic! :pir-wub:

I can't wait to see how the galleries turn out, the base is already there and it's looking good!

This is amazing, i love the cabin but I can't figure out how you made the triple guns. could you please explain how you made it? that would be very helpfull :pir-grin:

keep up the extremely good work :thumbup:

Edited by Lord Cutler Beckett