Lobo723

WIP: Train Tunnel With Modular buildings on top

Well had my layout running for like a month. Then my nephews said it needed a tunnel so i decided to re do it. Its still a Work in progress but decided to share with you guys. Let me know what you guys think. Suggestions for improvement Welcomed

tunel1.jpg

tunel2.jpg

tunel3.jpg

Nice work, Lobo.

Looks like you have good clearances for everything and the idea of a raised piazza works well. I like how you've done the wall with the balustrade all the way round.

It might be nice to run some steps down to a second level half way down to a park above the existing roadway. You could have a cafe or a news-stand there.

Looking forward to your updates.

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

It looks really good and prototypical. That's a common method on many model railroad layouts. I would definitely keep it. You could add some detail to the actual tunnel portals or place random grey bricks at the foot of the tunnels to show blasted rock etc. Nice work.

A great way to incorporate tunnels into a layout! I like it.

I'm going for a more organic type of tunnel but for a city structure I think it's top-notch!

Perhaps it's a shop selling pets made out of Lego? They're much easier to keep and clean...

Really liking this though - it's a great way to save a bit of space (currently thinking about my own lack of space and putting buildings up like thisto let trains run underneath) and I think that having a town on different layers really improves how it looks - not all of our towns are in Holland/Norfolk/(insert your own country's really flat place here) after all!

I'd be interested to know what the internal structure is - is it all just Lego? Is this just the baseboard sitting on top of standard flat bricks (which I suppose would allow easy removal during the inevitable derailments!)?

Perhaps it's a shop selling pets made out of Lego? They're much easier to keep and clean...

Really liking this though - it's a great way to save a bit of space (currently thinking about my own lack of space and putting buildings up like thisto let trains run underneath) and I think that having a town on different layers really improves how it looks - not all of our towns are in Holland/Norfolk/(insert your own country's really flat place here) after all!

I'd be interested to know what the internal structure is - is it all just Lego? Is this just the baseboard sitting on top of standard flat bricks (which I suppose would allow easy removal during the inevitable derailments!)?

Thanks everyone for your opinions ill try some out.

It is a store that sells Lego pets LOL Like Mr Benn Said much easier to keep lol

And yes its all lego inside heres a pic. I did it that way so if the trains derailed i could reach inside

tunnelopen.jpg

i was just to about ask if those buildings above the tunnel were on their baseplates and laid on top or otherwise. thanks for your reply above!

you have managed to seamlessly laid the baseplates on the tunnel. that was real good!

the tunnel looks real huge and roomy...!

i was just to about ask if those buildings above the tunnel were on their baseplates and laid on top or otherwise. thanks for your reply above!

you have managed to seamlessly laid the baseplates on the tunnel. that was real good!

the tunnel looks real huge and roomy...!

Yea I Wanted something simple so i left them on the base plates. It Also helps if they derail inside the tunnel and about being roomy yea i wanted nothing getting stuck inside

Very nice realization! :thumbup:

I like this tunnel made with shiny new pieces, I love the ivy on the wal, the buildings on top and the staircase! :laugh:

Do you have any pictures with train under the tunnel? :wink:

Great idea and well done.

I had just the same idea myself since I have limited space for the display. With tunnels like this you have both trains in a loop and buildings on display. And since the buildings in the back are raised you will see all the buildings better.

I have my tunnel still up, but run out of space on my desk for any good trainlayout...

Very nice realization! :thumbup:

I like this tunnel made with shiny new pieces, I love the ivy on the wal, the buildings on top and the staircase! :laugh:

Do you have any pictures with train under the tunnel? :wink:

Here's a couple pics with trains in the tunnel

train1.jpg

train2.jpg

train3.jpg

Brilliant!

I came up with the same idea a week ago, since my layout grew in rail 'area' and I am running out of space for buildings I want to display.

Funnily enough, I hadn't see these posts and pictures until now, but it confirms it is possible, functional, and good-looking.

Now I am waiting on my bricklink order to start building

Thanks again for the inspiration!

Was it really necessary to revive this 3+ years old thread to say that you came up with the same idea MusicaRibelle?! Don't do that unless you have a very, very good reason other than saying essentially: "great idea".