Sign in to follow this  
Zane

2007 Bionicle

Okay, whatever. ;-)

Now, time to get back on topic. Aka, talking about the totally awesome pictures of the Barraki! Which means it's time for a more detailed analyst from me:

Takadox: I can't really say much about him, due to the weird angle and possition the box shows him in. The head looks okay, since it fits in well with the watery theme of 2007, and I like the weapons he has. I sure hope those silver jaw pieces are useful, however, as they appear to be in every Barraki!

Kalmah: The 3 eyes make his face quite weird, but it looks kind of cool for some reason. Not sure what his weapon is, though. Maybe a gold whip? Looks more like a stick of crumpled foil so far. X-D He looks pretty bulky, and seems to have a lot of good dark red pieces, so he's one of the best ones, IMO.

Carapar: His...er...face, is the weirdest out of the all the Barraki. It looks like a cross between an Olmak, Avak's face, and the Liberty bell. X-D I see lots of gold in him, though, as well as lots of another unidentifiable, and his weapons look awesome. >:-)

Mantax: Why does he remind me so much of a robot? probably the grooves where his mouth should be, and his hunched back appearance. Nevertheless, he is awesome looking, and the shoulder armor as well as the weapons look useful. Probably my second favorite. BTW, seems as almost all the weapons are based on pinchers or knifes, which seems a bit bland. :-(

Ehlek: I won't be fooled by that light green appearance again. He's the same color as Defilak, and Defilak turned out to be Dark green in a later picture. Nothing wrong with dark green, though, although just green would have been better, IMO. 'Tis boring that he has the same feet as Zaktan, and I hate how he is so thin and spindily (is that even a word?). Worst of all is the POOP spine, which, while doesn't normally bother me, basicly makes up all his bulk. He is my least favorite so far. The others (not including Takadox) all have lots going for them, but the only thing that saves Ehlek, IMO, is the totally WICKED 3 bladed claw weapon. Boy, I may have to get him just for that! (and the green pieces, since I don't plan to get Toa Kongu). X-D

Overall, Bionicle 2007 is looking fairly strong. I look foward to seeing the Titans and Summer canister sets in 2007. Great job, TLC, espeically since the Barraki DO blow away the 2001 Toa in terms of differences! A great change from the canister sets before the Inika (which actually had some more differences than just color, weapons, and mask). ;-)

BZPower has trashed EB a few times. Now they're trashing Amazon.de! Lighten up, and let us fans post our pictures!

BZP have Greg, who'll leave if there are leaks. I don't get the big deal, really. Greg doesn't do much now but provoke debates. He only gives tiny bits of info now. But meh.

Aye, give tiny bits of info and TRASH the Bionicle universe..

Agreed. I lost all respect for GregF, especially when he defended his decision to shaft the original Toa. I'm impressed by the sets right now, but if the past is any indicator, we're going to get yet another "Rap vs. pop rock music" campaign. Lord forbid, but it's almost written in stone.

Anyhoo, they all look nice! Especially the Pridan. Since the editing on one of the photos had too much light, I messed around with the brightness and I got this:

lgbioniclepridakyh0.jpg

Seems like an Axxon-ish head with a bonelike body! Just from the looks of it, this guy is packing some major swords and firepower. He's got the miniset knives as wings and his "guns" seem to be concealed by plate-like structures. I'm really looking forwards to this!

Pardon my ignorance, not having been here for a while, but when has BZP ever "trashed" (whatever you're using that to mean) Eurobricks? I know we've referenced this site several times in the news. And we certainly don't "trash" Amazon.de – when a picture shows up there, it's considered official, because Lego has approved its release. Otherwise, unless it comes from a similar source, it's probably leaked, and because Lego does not want images leaked early, BZP does not allow them to be posted. Since BZP prefers to maintain a good relationship with Lego.

Also, the information Greg has been giving out lately is anything but tiny. Small bits at a time, yes, but often huge in implications. And also, don't small bits of plot build anticipation much better than suddenly revealing the entire story? And finally, Greg had no choice but to put the Nuva away for the year – they aren't sets, so they can't be shown in the comics, which means they can't be the center of the plot.

Back on topic, the Barraki contain comparatively few new parts. Structurally, their only new pieces are their heads, but all the other pieces (double-sockets, limbs, bodies) are old – For instance, Mantax's body is a Piraka's and his shins are Rahkshi's, Ehlek has Zaktan's feet, Carapar uses Inika shins in his arms and Rahkshi feet, Mantax has Vahki shins, and Takadox uses Piraka forearms, shins, and feet. Ehlek's entire frame is made of old pieces, too, with the possible exception of his shins, which I think are Metru shins but I can't see clearly. Not that I mind – re-use of old pieces is excellent.

In contrast, however, almost everything adorning the frame is new. There are at least two new types of thigh-armor-type pieces, demonstrated on Morak and Thulox, who make use of them. The weapons are wholly new designs, as are their mandibles and heads, and Mantax has quite the shoulder armor. I can't see much of Carapar's construction, but it seems to have some new pieces.

Takadox also seems to have transparent joints like Toa Matoro did, and Carapar is quite clearly brown. Yay!

Edit: Oh, look, there's Pridak. I can't even see his head ...

– ToM

But, since they are on Kaideshop, looks like BZP will not allow them to be posted. X-D
Zane post Today, 02:11 PM

BZP have Greg, who'll leave if there are leaks. I don't get the big deal, really. Greg doesn't do much now but provoke debates. He only gives tiny bits of info now. But meh.

And some of his info is, from time to time, lies.

They really just should just post'em. Like what, Lego's going to find some OTHER giant Bionicle fansite and give them exclusive extras?

Who else is there? The ill-colored Mask of Poop-like Tan (Destiny)?

X D

vahkimetru Posted Today, 01:41 PM

BZPower has trashed EB a few times. Now they're trashing Amazon.de! Lighten up, and let us fans post our pictures!

They WHAT? Why?

Well, I'll take early set pics over some angry rep telling us what to do and yelling down to the younger members anyday. `

Then again, you're probably not describing "BZ", just a goofy kid or two in mini-mod mode. :-|

Edited by JINZONINGEN 73

Those canisters are very nice!!!And the sets themselves are very VERY nice, but sadly, this year I end Bionicle with Kardas.

And finally, Greg had no choice but to put the Nuva away for the year

...Actually, the first three years of Bionicle were NOT written by Greg, so he might've thought that it was the only choice to knock of the Toa Nuva, but the original writer might have found a way.

I mean, at least we got a cameo of Tahu's Mask in Ignition #1. Does that not satisfy you?

ONTO THE SETS!

My, my... those canisters are some of the best since the Bohrok. From what I see of the sets... they're all unique and don't use the same exact parts. Definition of a Non-cloned set, eh? This will give them many varying heights, which I can't wait to see.

I'm just waiting for BETTER pics. The quality is low on these, and I usually look at the final product and play with it before judging it.

2007 is looking good.

EDIT: After further observation, I noticed the sets go in a certain "pattern" of sorts. Two look very bulky, and two look spindly and insect-like. Ehlek(sp? I can never tell anymore.) looks small and thin. I'm guessing the final will look like him as well. Clever move by TLC on their part, making kids buy at least three to get all different types.

...Actually, the first three years of Bionicle were NOT written by Greg, so he might've thought that it was the only choice to knock of the Toa Nuva, but the original writer might have found a way.

Ah. I just thought GregF was in charge of Bionicle from the get go. Apparently not! My bad, everyone. Now I can actually see how the shift is actually reflective of the change in set/plot priority ratio.

I mean, at least we got a cameo of Tahu's Mask in Ignition #1. Does that not satisfy you?

Nope. I may not have been clear about this in my original post, but just because there's the physical presence of the original Toa doesn't mean it's actually enough. I'll be very honest. I'm sick of this "drag some matoran we had in the past and turn them into Toa" routine. While it would be fine if the original Toa were dead, the point is that they're NOT. The Toa are perfectly alive and are getting shafted in the worse way possible. They went down like an old dog being put down. For a bunch of Toa who almost wiped out their respective villages while testing out their new powers at the end of the Bohrok saga, it's hard to believe they went down in a matter of seconds. I'm okay with them being captured, but it almost seemed the Nuva had the strength of an armed matoran.

What I'm trying to get at is that it's not entirely nessesary to have to create a new set of Toa every single time we get a new chapter of the universe created. Especially not when you have a set of perfectly good Toa around, who haven't been completely developed due to their depowerment at the hands of repainted Elite Bohrok, the arrival of Taka-what'shisface and that massive flashback of Metru-Nui. There's still alot to go through, as we haven't really got a chance to know the Toa Nuva after "mastering" their Nuva powers. At this point, I really wish GregF would have just offed the original Toa. He really should put them out of their misery and therefore justify his need to create more and more Toa sets. Sure, the first few months will be filled with some fans complaning about it, but in the long run, it makes sense. I'd be perfectly okay with it, even if they died without a fight.

Anyhoo, back on topic (for the millionth time), here's a photo of the new launcher ammo that's on Dekar's brickshelf. Looks kinda like Zamor spheres but fitted to the aquatic terrain. Most curious!

legobioniclesquidammorp1.jpg

ToM's logic owns all.

Yes, he was always on the storyline team, but he wasn't the storywriter until 2004. Ergo... eh, forget it. Your post pretty much takes care of it.

I don't know how to change my name on here either, ToM.

Anyhow, yep, I agree. Hydruka seems like a much more interesting (and logical) name for the Barakki. Does kinda remind me of Ryu's signature attack though. X-D

I assumed the Hydruka were a name for the polyps.

Hey... how you suppose those buggers fire, anyway?

Look how weird those tails are.

polypenwerfer.jpg

The heads are pretty rounded, so maybe they fire from Zamor-like launchers.

Time to address some points. Oh, and for the record, I'm not looking for the knock-out punch here. I'm just sharing my thoughts. Unless this is a fight, which I'm almost sure it's not, I'll reside to my original approach and share my opinions, as well as learning new things which I have missed from my 3+ years haitus from Bionicle. Such as how GregF wasn't the grand-daddy of Bionicle, and that there were other writers in the beginning.

1. The storyline has always been based on the sets.

But you can't argue the possiblility of the fact that some sets have been made to go with the storyline. No matter how many times you try to fight it, it's definately within the realm of possibility that they made sets to fit things in the storyline. One example would be that creatures set they released in 2002. I would say the same for some of the Rahi sets as well, though I can't back it up with solid/conclusive evidence.

The Piraka were far stronger than anything the Nuva had faced before, and the Nuva had no idea what they were up against. How did they defeat the Rahi, Bohrok, and Rahkshi? The Turaga's guidance was a large part

I actually heard over at BZP that the Hydruka were the four mini sets. But then again, thats what BZPower said, lol.

-Kynok

I really don't mean to sound rude but...complete this analogy:

Darth Vader is Scourge of the Jedi as GregF is scourge to ___________

*vader*

If bionicle had remained true to its roots, I'd be a lot more interested in the storyline, but as I've said, its become VERY exclusive (look up the roots and definition), and now only the sets attract me, which is actually the main point of Bionicle, but as times have changed, toys aren't there for the fun anymore. And its this weakness that has made videogames destroy this old yet noble purpose. The world is becoming a cold place.

Thank MataNui the Inika are here to save us, obviously the designers of these stay true to Lego's noble purpose, but GregF and the managers of TLC are not helping. GregF just helped make it...eh...Are they seriously thinking of killing the Nuva? I grew up with those guys! thats why I'm so happy with the Inika, as they're grown up versions of what accompanied me in my most grueling journey ever. But...yeah.

I only wish I could spend money on the Barakki, but I've got other things to spend my money on right now.

I like the Polyps.They look like jellyfish...

However, surfinsf from BS MOCed one of the Rahi small sets,and he called it a Hydruka.I also believe that Hydruka is actually the name of the little Rahi.

And Kalmah looks pretty cool...3 eyes...

Great. Now we have a Bionicle set of a sperm collection. *sad*

lol, anyways, I'm shocked to see 'Matorans' on the Matoran display. It was even like that in a comic this year. Therefore, little kids think it's fine to say 'Toas' and 'Bionicles'. :'-)

I like the Polyps.They look like jellyfish...

However, surfinsf from BS MOCed one of the Rahi small sets,and he called it a Hydruka.I also believe that Hydruka is actually the name of the little Rahi.

I saw that too... but he used a piece of Inika leg armor on it's back... I think these guys have a new, more bulbous shell there.

Kynok Posted Today, 01:29 AM

I actually heard over at BZP that the Hydruka were the four mini sets. But then again, thats what BZPower said, lol.

Yeah. lol

I'm assuming it's the name of the Polyps, as it's the only name we haven't definitively had applied anywhere else, and as Zane said, the side of the display for the 4 small sets say "Matorans".

Also, "rhotuka"... "hydruka"... see the pattern?

Yah, I'm pretty sure it's the sperm's name.

You know what I wanna' know though?

Where'd this guy on Brickshelf named "Dakar" get some of these images?

I got mine from kaleidoshop's Bionicle page... I TOTALLY didn't see Pridak, the sperm or the 2 displays anywhere online.

An unofficial "official" leak source?

Then again, the folder does have a "fan" feel to it, with initial images coming from amazon.de and scholastic.