bzcat

How to print out part list from LDD?

I designed a couple of buildings to compliment my modular building but instead of buying the sets through LDD, I want to source the parts myself. I've been looking around LDD and I can't find the function that will give me a list of parts used in my design. Can anyone help?

Edit: I guess the last page of the HTML building instruction does this... it's not very intuitive place to find it. I thought there would be a function for within the build screen.

Edited by bzcat

I designed a couple of buildings to compliment my modular building but instead of buying the sets through LDD, I want to source the parts myself. I've been looking around LDD and I can't find the function that will give me a list of parts used in my design. Can anyone help?

Edit: I guess the last page of the HTML building instruction does this... it's not very intuitive place to find it. I thought there would be a function for within the build screen.

Try LDDManager. You need MS Access 2003 (I have 2007 and it works fine), but if you do you can't beat it. You can find the thread here in the LDD & Other Digital Tools topic. Here is LDDManager thread link

Edited by treeboy

So if I don't have MS Access to run LDD Manager, there is basically no way to get a parts list?

My earlier observation about HTML build guide is wrong... it doesn't list all the parts in the set, only a partial list. :hmpf_bad:

So if I don't have MS Access to run LDD Manager, there is basically no way to get a parts list?

My earlier observation about HTML build guide is wrong... it doesn't list all the parts in the set, only a partial list. :hmpf_bad:

Sorry, I use LDDManager for this. However, looking at an LXFML file in notepad I can see parsing the file into just part numbers then importing that into BrickLink. There is this thread that explains LXFML's if you feel up to it.

Edited by treeboy

You don't actually have to have Access, you can get the Access runtime for free from the same place you get LDD Manager and that's all you need to use it.

Like treeboy mentioned, you can parse the LXF-file yourself (it's only a zip-file with an XML-file inside it, so not to complicated), but the thing LDD Manager does it not only to parse the file, but also to translate the part numbers from LEGO-id's to BrickLink ID's, and finaly to create the necessary XML code to upload to BrickLink. There is also some error checking features that could be useful (for example checking if the part has been produced in that color)

Like AndyC says, you don't need to buy Access, you can just download and install the free runtime client. If you are on a Mac, there is however no other solution then to run a virtual PC and then Access on top of that.

Alternatively, you can use LPub to import the LDD file and use the parts list feature in that.

LDraw / LPub Downloads

LDraw / LPub Tutorials

This software set doesn't give you the XML Bricklink upload capability but will produce a visual parts list similar to a real Lego instruction manual.

In LDraw you can also export a parts a list, but it may have different part numbers and descriptions than what LDD and Bricklink uses (maybe 90% are the same).

If you are refering to LDD2Ldraw, I'm not sure it works anymore. At least the last time I tried that was the case (zero parts converted). I think the last release of it was two years ago, and I know the the LXFML format has changed slightly since then, so that may be the reason. Also, when the LDD2Ldraw tool was created, LDD only had a few hundred parts, now it's over 2000, so I don't know how accurate the mapping info is now. Also, LDD2Ldraw doesn't support decorations.

It's actually the mapping between LDD and BrickLink ID's that is the main work in LDD Manager. It's like you say, in most cases the part ID's map directly (i.e. 55817 in LDD is 55817 in BL), but in many cases (about 10-20%), they don't (i.e. 55240 in LDD is x1813 in BL) and even worse, there are a lot of pure mistakes in BrickLink (i.e. data incorrectly entered etc). To be honest, the catalog responsible at BrickLink could learn alot by looking at LDD, which is exposing the internal LEGO part numbers and names in a way unimaginable a few years back.

If you are refering to LDD2Ldraw, I'm not sure it works anymore... the catalog responsible at BrickLink could learn alot by looking at LDD, which is exposing the internal LEGO part numbers and names in a way unimaginable a few years back.

I was intending to mean without actually saying properly :blush: that I meant using LDD to export to *.ldr and then open in LDraw/MLCad.

Is there a way to go from *.mpd to an xml parts list uploadable to Bricklink? I have no idea how to do that. I'm a virtual tool Noob, so not the best to answer these questions...but have had a good experience with the visual parts list generator on LPub.

I was intending to mean without actually saying properly :blush: that I meant using LDD to export to *.ldr and then open in LDraw/MLCad.

No prob. :classic:

But using the LDD>LDR methods results in the same problem as using the LDD2Ldraw tool, since they more or less use the same lookup-data.

Is there a way to go from *.mpd to an xml parts list uploadable to Bricklink? I have no idea how to do that. I'm a virtual tool Noob, so not the best to answer these questions...but have had a good experience with the visual parts list generator on LPub.

That I have no clue about (more of an LDD geek myself), but maybe someone here knows. I would imagine it should work though.

You don't actually have to have Access, you can get the Access runtime for free from the same place you get LDD Manager and that's all you need to use it.

Thanks for the clarification, I will give it a shot.

I just wanted to update this thread in case someone searches the same topic in the future. Following the earlier suggestion, I download the LDD Manager and was able to export the parts list to Bricklink.

Edited by bzcat

Yes, BrickStore allows you to do that.