Skipper

Fort George

picture_1.png

blah.png

VERSION 2

VERSION 2

figs.png

Okay this is barely even an update so I'm not bumping this, I just added a door.

door.png

VERSION 1

picture_1.png

Hello everybody, this is my first moc on EB :pir-look::cannon: .

It's a Vauban style fort, I think one of the few that I've seen on this forum (I've been lurking for like a year now :pir-grin: ). 35 guns for shooting down those pesky bluecoats :jollyroger:.

picture_2.png

The walls won't match up, but I'm pretty sure it's an LDD problem. Regardless I think this picture shows the pentagonal bastions rather well. I want to buy this someday, but LDD is ridiculously expensive :pir-sceptic: .

Cheers

Edited by Skipper

Yes! This is super! A fort of this era+style was going to be my next project, although I was going to give that one to the blue-coats :P

Might I suggest attempting to give a vertical slope to the walls, as well as sharpen the points on the bastions. As of this design, they are parallel to each other, in such a way as to make it more difficult for them to properly cover one another from sappers or other nepherius types.

Very nice!

Thanks for the comment! I've tried to make the bastions as you said, but couldn't get the angles to match up in LDD - unlike with physical brick hinges they don't "resolve" themselves, if that makes sense.

Good luck with your fort, I look forward to the exchange of fire :pirate_skel1: .

Edited by Skipper

Very nice, I like the shape of it. Now where's the entrance ?

Reminds me of the US pentagon building.

Also please resize your picture to a maximum of 800x600.

Thanks

Interesting build! I just couldn't sleep for your connectivity problem so I gave myself a try: my attempt at pentagon

Of course I only did the inner rim 30 studs long. I used the flat bending object and adjusted it's angle to 108 degrees or 72 or with minus - whatever the position is and then added the 30 stud long wall. I used the hinge only on one side and then copied that whole thing 4 times and it automatically aligned in the end ...

Not sure how to do the outer tower pentagons, but it should be doable. Just some more calculations would be needed how wide the walls need to be, so everything aligns in the end! There's quite a lot of possibilities in LDD it's just so stubborn sometimes and you have to build things in a different way you imagined ...

Edited by MstrOfPppts

On Stranger Tides - Yeah I saw that, the star is awesome

Sebeus - It's the security system I forgot :pir-grin: (the fort is modular so I just copy pasted another wall section instead of making a door. I'll change that soon)

Big Cam - Sorry, I think it's fixed now.

MstrOfPppts - Thanks, I'll look into that as well. I appreciate it!

Edited by Skipper

I love this model can you please send me the ldd file with instructions. I would like to make this in real LEGO form.

Since I'm not sure how much my n00b account has for storage, I'll just give you the link: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=479656

It'd be awesome if you built this, I've been wanting to do it for a while but me loot's been plundered :pirate_skel1: . I'd love to see it, so post pictures!!! and give credit please :pir-sweet: .

Thanks for all the comments, I didn't expect such a positive reaction on my first moc.

Cheers

Edited by Skipper

Since I'm not sure how much my n00b account has for storage, I'll just give you the link: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=479656

It'd be awesome if you built this, I've been wanting to do it for a while but me loot's been plundered :pirate_skel1: . I'd love to see it, so post pictures!!! and give credit please :pir-sweet: .

Thanks for all the comments, I didn't expect such a positive reaction on my first moc.

Cheers

Can you please put up the lxf file real quick and I will tell you when I get it. Then you can take it down.

If you order these parts on BrickLink it shouldn't be too expensive. LDD is indeed very expensive. :pir-hmpf_bad:

It's a nice fort, it looks really good! In real bricks it would certainly be one of the best forts ever build. :pir-wink:

Are you planning to do that? It would be lovely! :pir-wub:

By the way, there is a link in my signature to a tutorial about picture deeplinking. So your pictures show up here without using your storage! Hope it might help!

Thanks Blackmoor! I'm planning to buy it in a year or so after I see what Bricklink can do. I already have 30 cannons + 30 redcoats to man it :pirate_skel1: .

Edited by Skipper

I tried to do something similar on LDD, but it couldn't handle the distance involved, I would appreciate any advice, btw, 5 star creation, your model has inspired me to build some more eh!! pirate_sad2.gif

By distance you mean number of bricks right? I think how much LDD can handle depends a lot on your computer, but you could try what I did and build it in sections and then put them all together at the end, so the program doesn't have to have as much open at the same time. Good luck!

good job! i admire your patience for ldd!this reminds me of the castillo de san marcos in st. augistine, florida. very nice!

I knew I couldn't sleep some time for this one! I can't stand the updates with still having the gap in your model :P The magical number is 11 (or 9 if someone prefers it)! Which means if the hallway is 9 studs wide ( 11 with the wall) and if the smaller pentagon towers sides are 11 studs long and the angles are right, it can be done without any gaps! All the angles are the same - inside of an pentagon = 108, meaning the hinge needs to be bent for 72 degrees. Sam for the ones being used for big and small pentagons as the ones connecting the tower to the main wall. But enough talk, here's the picture:

Pentagon.jpg

I did play a bit to figure out how to make nicer tower corners and any other ideas are appreciated. I also played with the warehouse a bit and different towers interior entrances. Anyone feel free to use this template. I wonder when I'll have some more time to continue this build ... I'm looking forward for some great creations, hope someone does it out of real bricks! Here's the lxf!

great stuff indeed on the pentagon fortress, not often seen here. Cetainly inspiring and what more done patiently on LDD!

You didn't happen to base this on a real fort did you?

I live very near a place called Fort George, and it actually looks kind of like this.

EDIT: I've just realized that your location says USA, and this particular fort is in Scotland. Just a coincidence I guess. :pir-sceptic:

Edited by LandShark

This is really great. I know how hard propper building is in ldd. Fabulous how you managed to grt all the angles together.

Could you please tell me how you managed it to show each bricks outlines in ldd. That would be really great since I´m searching for some time now to find a way to do so.

Edited by qwarek7

If you're asking about the pentagon shape, I described it in my first post. I calculated what the angles in the pentagon are and used the number in aligning the hinge to that angle. Angles in pentagon are 108 degrees and in LDD you use 72 for the hinge - since open (180) for LDD it is 0 degrees ...

I then attached the side wall to the hinge piece with some flats and made them longer for two studs for the hinge of the next wall to attach there. The hinge is only on one side of the wall. I then copied this group of bricks five times. The rotation must be used to get the one most appropriate angle from the 4 available in the LDD, and then the hinge automatically aligns to the overlapping two studs of the flats.

As for the towers - I again calculated the angles, did some drawings and math and then started in one corner. I used two long flats to stick out of two walls, and then made a wall of the tower with two hinges in different lengths 8 - 12 and then tried if any would align to the flats sticking out ... the results are shown in the previous post.

LDD is quite tricky sometimes! You always need the base for what you're putting on, or you can only put it to the imaginary ground. You can't even place barrels on stud-less bricks, you always need a workaround, which are pretty simple to use, once you get the idea!

No, I meant that in your model you can see each single brick and its outline. When i build a wall for example I just see the wall as one piece but not the single bricks it´s made of. Same with the tile-bricks. If you could explain me how you done that I would be really greatfull.

But anyway, thanks for explaining your modelling technique in detail. Just awesome how you built it.

Oh...just found the option In LDD. Unfortunatly I can´t activate it for some reason :pir-hmpf_bad:

Edited by qwarek7