XimenaPaulina

LEGO Star Wars 2012 Pictures and Rumors

Sounds like another proud addition to our fine series of craft built larger than minifigure scale. This should clear up any confusion as to whether the B-wing is System or larger.

Technically speaking, the entry was added after discovering that foreign shop.

I'm not sure if the UCS tag was added as a placeholder or not. Maybe it's just there to remind us that the set was already clarified to be part of the 10XXX series.

Edited by kamigawa

Technically speaking, the entry was added after discovering that foreign shop.

I'm not sure if the UCS tag was added as a placeholder or not. Maybe it's just there to remind us that the site was already clarified to be part of the 10XXX series.

Dang those technicalities!

Wake me when we're sure of something... :hmpf_bad:

I must have missed the set with multiple Sebulba minifigures.

No the planets sets are there to get a cheap minifig that is otherwise only available in a moderately expensive set, and also to be able to easily get multiples of them. TLG had the right idea with the TIE and the N-1 because chances are people will buy lots of them for TIE fleets of Naboo Hanger MOCS etc, but why would you need a load of Sabulbas Most people would only buy 1 of these sets.

I forget who said it, but what is that special thing that we don't want to miss? I'm guessing its a UCS. Any ideas?

Mirandir said that back in the old days before this big wave of pics

I forget who said it, but what is that special thing that we don't want to miss? I'm guessing its a UCS. Any ideas?

Mirandir said that back in the old days before this big wave of pics

On the contrary it was Captain Kirk who said it and it has not been revealed by name or number yet.

snip

One think I can say,...there will be a set in 2012 with something special in it...and I recommend it to everybody to buy it because it will be something that will come out and will go back in the dark shadows of the Empire for a very very very long time.

Thank you all guys for making LEGO what it is today...cu.

No the planets sets are there to get a cheap minifig that is otherwise only available in a moderately expensive set, and also to be able to easily get multiples of them. TLG had the right idea with the TIE and the N-1 because chances are people will buy lots of them for TIE fleets of Naboo Hanger MOCS etc, but why would you need a load of Sabulbas Most people would only buy 1 of these sets.

Because they're putting the pilot of the MINI in with it. Not that I think that's a good idea, random figure would be more interesting.

Because they're putting the pilot of the MINI in with it. Not that I think that's a good idea, random figure would be more interesting.

Yeah, and I reckon the reason they chose Sebulba's Podracer as one of the first "planets" sets is because it's (both visually and in terms of size) one of the most impressive vehicles associated with Tatooine. I guess a Sandcrawler would have also been a possibility, but I think kids would prefer a speedy and dangerous racing vehicle to an anvil-shaped mining vehicle. It also has more details that make for an appealing MINI, although I'm personally not a big fan of it-- the proportions bug me.

But long story short, Tatooine is one of the most distinctive Star Wars locations, therefore Sebulba's Podracer, therefore Sebulba. That's how I imagine it happened.

But long story short, Tatooine is one of the most distinctive Star Wars locations, therefore Sebulba's Podracer, therefore Sebulba. That's how I imagine it happened.

Partially, the TIE Interceptor has nothing to do with the first Death Star. Seems like they just wanted more use out of their new Sebulba mold...I just wish the helmet wasn't part of the mold so I could use a random Dug in MOC's.

What they should have dome is randomized the MINI and figure for each planet so that people would be enticed to buy multiple planet sets. As said before, once you have one Sebulba you don't need anymore. However, for the Tatooine planet, if they made MINI's of all the podracers and included all the pilots with some unique molds, you'd have a lot of people trying to collect them all.

I doubt you would want seven or eight planet molds in your parts inventory (unless you intended to paint them). I think these Planet sets are more like small display pieces rather than army builders (though that's not to say a "MINI TIE fighter battle pack" isn't a great idea - but that's for another thread). This view would also explain why they come with stands.

Yeah, and I reckon the reason they chose Sebulba's Podracer as one of the first "planets" sets is because it's (both visually and in terms of size) one of the most impressive vehicles associated with Tatooine. I guess a Sandcrawler would have also been a possibility, but I think kids would prefer a speedy and dangerous racing vehicle to an anvil-shaped mining vehicle. It also has more details that make for an appealing MINI, although I'm personally not a big fan of it-- the proportions bug me.

Podracers are neither the most impressive vehicles nor the most exciting ones associated with Tatooine. In the category of impressive vehicles there's the Jawa sandcrawler (as you mentioned) and the Khetanna; in speedy vehicles, the T-16, X-34, V-35, Z001... the Plug-F I would place near the bottom of the list, next to Mars Guo's Behemoth and Dud Bolt's Vulptereen 327.

This would have been a great opportunity for The LEGO Group to give us a MINI T-16. Pity that podracing is more identified with Tatooine than Luke in Beggar's Canyon.

@StoutFiles: Outside of Anakin's pod and the Plug-F, podracers just aren't popular, which isn't surprising given how little screen time they receive. If it weren't for this fact I'm sure The LEGO Group would have released only podracer sets for the first three years of their license (Podrace Bucket, anyone?). And I doubt that the decent treatment most of the pods have received from The LEGO Group would be retained in MINI scale.

@StoutFiles: Outside of Anakin's pod and the Plug-F, podracers just aren't popular, which isn't surprising given how little screen time they receive.

You say this, but the same applies to the T-16, which gets 0 screentime besides for being a toy in the movie. I would argue that the podracers are much, much more popular than the T-16, which was probably only ever made into a set because that was a dark time for the SW license anyway.

I think the top vehicles related to Tatooine are the Sandcrawler, Jabba's Sail Barge, and then the Podracers. Since EpI is being rereleased, it makes total sense that of those three the EpI was being chosen.

@StoutFiles: Outside of Anakin's pod and the Plug-F, podracers just aren't popular, which isn't surprising given how little screen time they receive. If it weren't for this fact I'm sure The LEGO Group would have released only podracer sets for the first three years of their license (Podrace Bucket, anyone?). And I doubt that the decent treatment most of the pods have received from The LEGO Group would be retained in MINI scale.

You're preaching to the choir, just the fact that Tatooine is being associated with Episode 1 is incredibly disappointing. However, if they have to go that route, releasing all the pods would only increase sales. It's the only planet where having multiple figures isn't useful.

You say this, but the same applies to the T-16, which gets 0 screentime besides for being a toy in the movie. I would argue that the podracers are much, much more popular than the T-16, which was probably only ever made into a set because that was a dark time for the SW license anyway.

I think the top vehicles related to Tatooine are the Sandcrawler, Jabba's Sail Barge, and then the Podracers. Since EpI is being rereleased, it makes total sense that of those three the EpI was being chosen.

I'd say the Landspeeder is the top Tatooine vehicle, but I guess that's all opinion. T-16 would be plenty memorable had they filmed the scene of Luke beating Fixer at Beggar's Canyon, but since they didn't I agree with you there. I am glad they made the T-16 though and picked it up even though it's quite outdated.

Podracers are presented in the Prequels as anonymous commercial gimmicks that are driven by aliens who have absolutely nothing to do with the plot of the movie and that are part of a spectator sport franchise ill-fitting of a backwater planet like Tatooine. The T-16, along with the X-34, is Luke's personal joyride, symbolic of his dissatisfaction with the monotony of his life and his adventurous nature, representative of his piloting skills, and his namesake ('Skywalker'). Though it may not have received much screen time, it has far greater significance than podracers, which could have been completely left out of The Phantom Menace if Qui-Gon had just stayed in character and stolen the hyperdrive parts from Watto.

Partially, the TIE Interceptor has nothing to do with the first Death Star.

I assume they decided the TIE/in made a better MINI than the TIE/ln or TIE x1, and didn't want to make a new mold for the second Death Star.

Podracers are presented in the Prequels as anonymous commercial gimmicks that are driven by aliens who have absolutely nothing to do with the plot of the movie and that are part of a spectator sport franchise ill-fitting of a backwater planet like Tatooine. The T-16, along with the X-34, is Luke's personal joyride, symbolic of his dissatisfaction with the monotony of his life and his adventurous nature, representative of his piloting skills, and his namesake ('Skywalker'). Though it may not have received much screen time, it has far greater significance than podracers, which could have been completely left out of The Phantom Menace if Qui-Gon had just stayed in character and stolen the hyperdrive parts from Watto.

All of which means jack diddley to a kid choosing a toy.

Why didn't Lego consider a TIE Boarding Craft or Imperial Shuttle instead of a TIE/In ? :wink:

Why did TLG consider a B1 BP instead of an Assassin Droid BPs :tongue:

Honestly, some things I just don't know. But TIE/in with the first DS isn't that bad a combination.

Why did TLG consider a B1 BP instead of an Assassin Droid BPs :tongue:

Honestly, some things I just don't know. But TIE/in with the first DS isn't that bad a combination.

Yes, well we can call it Lego Logic or Lucas Logic eh ? :tongue:

If the TIE/In is out of place with the Death Star, than 7962 Anakin Skywalker and Sebulba's Podracers having Obi Wan in it is totally out of place ! :laugh:

All of which means jack diddley to a kid choosing a toy.

That may be true, but I can't help but think that Luke in his T-16 would have made just as good a set as Buzz Lightyear's spaceship.

Edited by fallenangel309

Yes, well we can call it Lego Logic or Lucas Logic eh ? :tongue:

If the TIE/In is out of place with the Death Star, than 7962 Anakin Skywalker and Sebulba's Podracers having Obi Wan in it is totally out of place ! :laugh:

Yes, yes it is. Especially with his smug face they gave him, Obi-Wan was annoyed the entire time on Tatooine.

Podracers are neither the most impressive vehicles nor the most exciting ones associated with Tatooine. In the category of impressive vehicles there's the Jawa sandcrawler (as you mentioned) and the Khetanna; in speedy vehicles, the T-16, X-34, V-35, Z001... the Plug-F I would place near the bottom of the list, next to Mars Guo's Behemoth and Dud Bolt's Vulptereen 327.

Really? THIS is more impressive than a podracer?

Your list mainly consists of 2 dull brown boxes, a toy, and 2 background filler props.

Edited by simonjedi

Really? THIS is more impressive than a podracer?

Your list mainly consists of 2 dull brown boxes, a toy, and 2 background filler props.

I'm thinking it's more of a matter of personal taste. I for one, enjoy all tatooine vehicles. :sweet: