XimenaPaulina

LEGO Star Wars 2012 Pictures and Rumors

Well... my first impression is that it looks absolutely gorgeous. Then I took at the price... that made it somewhat less attractive.

I've never bought a UCS set, so I doubt I'll be forking out money on this. I'll just admire it.

The TLG may be taking us AFOLs for granted. There are multiple MOCs that blow this b-wing away without using their "new" pieces. The designer even mentioned the mirrored build process a couple times. $250 to build the same wing 4 times and bottom wing twice. He even mentions the fact that the guns are non-functioning. It's like he's daring us to buy it after he's listed all the boring aspects of the set. They know the hardcore will still buy it and be happy there's no minifigs and limited functions. I realize it's a display set, but the only reason there's no figs is because he couldn't engineer an opening cockpit. It's basically minifig scale!!! Sorry for the negativity, I just had to rant a little. They know they'll get our money no matter what they release. :)

And... Those look like giant orange STICKERS!!!

Edited by aoxoa

So I have to say honestly,

that im very disappointed with the implementation!

The B-wing has been more than a toy for child than a collector model!!!

Because, for example, the version of Gareth is a lot better then the new UCS B-Wing!

Just the same at the SSD! ( Anois SSD better then the UCS SSD )

I find really sad that the UCS series is always easier somehow, and always very high price.

And I also wondering about the ORANGE colour!? Why not medium blue or red - and not a so bland orange colour!

But that's just only my personal opinion at this!

greetings

Edited by markus1984

The TLG may be taking us AFOLs for granted. There are multiple MOCs that blow this b-wing away without using their "new" pieces. The designer even mentioned the mirrored build process a couple times. $250 to build the same wing 4 times and bottom wing twice. He even mentions the fact that the guns are non-functioning. It's like he's daring us to buy it after he's listed all the boring aspects of the set. They know the hardcore will still buy it and be happy there's no minifigs and limited functions. I realize it's a display set, but the only reason there's no figs is because he couldn't engineer an opening cockpit. It's basically minifig scale!!! Sorry for the negativity, I just had to rant a little. They know they'll get our money no matter what they release. :)

And... Those look like giant orange STICKERS!!!

Right... because the Ultimate Collectors Series sets never had stickers before... :sarcasm_hmpf: To be fair, these look like round stickers on square parts, which can be bothersome, but at least they don't have any pattern that requires them to be applied "right-side-up", as in the case of the tail stickers on last year's LEGO City Space Shuttle.

In all seriousness, I think this model looks pretty incredible, but it does have some flaws that I could see upsetting some AFOLs. For instance, it uses a lot of large pieces, which is in many cases probably necessary to keep the design fairly stable but which is probably a big reason for the set's high price-per-piece. But I love how the build is mirrored for a smooth, clean look on all sides, rather than using a "studs-up" build like many minifigure-scale Star Wars vehicles which leaves one side studded and one side anti-studded on wings which should be symmetrical.

The windscreen is a bit iffy, I agree, and I kind of wonder whether including a windscreen at all was the ideal option when it could perhaps have been done similarly to the UCS Millennium Falcon's windscreen, though of course the B-wing's windscreen is a less rigid shape.

In general, the design of this set seems sleek, sturdy, and efficient. Looking on Brickshelf, I don't see any UCS B-wing MOCs that are nearly as shapely as this one, though if people can link me to examples I won't be upset to be proven wrong.

On a side note, it tickles me pink to see a Hero Factory fist piece used near the engines. Not the part I would have expected to see on a set like this by a longshot!

I don't tend to buy UCS sets, and the B-Wing gives me no reason to change that. Yet another set I will be passing on this year.

No minifigs, no buy from me. And I think it"s funny how must of you are saying it's ugle and you're not going to buy it, but in reality I'm sure at least half of the people on this forum will actually be buynig it, even after bashing it.

I genuinely cannot understand the level of negativity here. I suppose everybody is merely stating their opinion, but it comes off as sweeping condemnations.

No amount of acronyms, matters, and in reality, there should be no such divisive ideas as AFOL or any such thing. Lego makes great products, and as a company has an a mazing record and standing both in its local and international community, and in the business world. They can be enjoyed by a wide variety of peoples, and the products are for us all, you should not feel slighted, or relegated to a specific demographic based on your perception of a model.

That being said, I hope someday, despite the freedom the interent, and forums allow, every naysayer takes a moment to breathe, and realize that the model is MADE out of LEGOS. You can change anything you do not like about it. And so if the worst thing about it is that it costs too much, then you can Download the instructions for free from Lego, and build your own. If you do not mind the price, and dont like the parts, you can substitute your own. You can use it as a guideline for a great creation of your own.

Expressing yourself here is one thing, but this all reeks of vitriolic exaggerations, and really detracts from any sort of productive, sensible discussion. Any employee of Lego, or outsider reading this, could not help but to be left with the impression that Lego fans here are never satisfied, constantly disappointed, unable or unwilling to compromise, and for some reason still buying Legos, like some sort of addict in denial. Is this how you mean to portray yourselves?

The Blocade Runner, the Imperial Shuttle, and the B-Wing were the ships that really stood out in my mind from the movies.

The ship looks nice. I really have no recollection of this set, but I haven't seen the OT in close to 6 years. It really is whatever TLG gives us to give my perception of what the SW universe is like. I'm not a big enough SW fan to buy anything UCS though. The price to piece isn't the best, but there are other factors that go into that. Minifigures are more appealing to me, like some others, but I don't think I could/would justify buying a $200 set just for some minifigures. Although the Haunted House is appealing, but I probably won't afford that one either.

Hope everyone that wants this ship, gets it and enjoys it. And everyone that doesn't want it, constructs their own to enjoy.

Happy building.

Don't, get me wrong! It's a great looking set and super creative too, it's just that it is lacking considering the price you expect us to pay. More and more people are turning to the secondary market to create their own versions of their favourite Star Wars ships and scene. Its just that Lego set prices, especially outside of the US, are becoming cost prohibitive for many who love their products, i.e. kids!!! The same kids that Lego's marketing dept. know are addicted like pokemaniacs. Altruism is always easiest on a stack of money! ;) I just feel a set with this high of a price and this low of a parts count, should be extra special. The normal reasons for inflated price are absent, except for the UCS title and it smacks of market hyperinflation. No harm meant, I love Lego and have for over 30 years. I was just venting an opinion, one that I stand by, I might add. Round stickers on a square tile is a little lame in a set this expensive. ;) Happy building!!!

Ow, amazing model! I am quite impressed! :wub:

the price on the other hand is way to expensive. :sceptic:

Just because it's UCS doesn't mean it should be passed off for $200 with that price to part ratio.

I also noticed that in the video it looks as if the gyroscopic cocpit doesn't work very well. Oh well, minor criticism.

Looks much larger than previous B-wings, though! Anyone know how close to minifig scale it is?

I went back 30 pages and I did not see anything, what is Template for future sets?.

Okay, so my son and I looked at the pictures of the new B-Wing a little closer today and he just told me something very interesting. He thinks it looks like The Twilight from The Clone Wars only smaller. I don't think I've ever heard that comparison.

Anyone else notice the cockpit rotates depending on the model's orientation? This is one sweet set. A bit disappointed that there are no minifigs though. TLG doesn't seem to know when it's appropriate to put minifigs. This is so close to minifig scale, but has no minifig. The capital ships, like the Correllian Corvette and the SSD are not to scale, yet they come with out-of-place minifigs. The only ones they did right were the MF and the shuttle (though you can argue that the shuttle is smaller than minifig scale). Not sure if I'll get it. Probably will during next year's May 4th promo if anything.

Price increase may be across the board, I'm afraid. Inflation may finally be forcing TLG to raise prices. Haunted House would've been $120 two or three years ago. Now it's $170.

I went back 30 pages and I did not see anything, what is Template for future sets?.

It's just there to make it easier for us to add sets with the proper formatting to the first post. It doesn't actually represent any set.

Wondering why the canopy from the Jedi Starfighter was used, instead of the cone part used for the cockpit of the current Millenium Falcon, the salon/escape pod of the current Republic Frigate and the hammerhead of the Tantive IV. Seems like that piece would be the proper size and shape...

At that price point I think they really missed the mark by not including an exclusive minifig. My personal preference would have been for the whole model to be minifig scale like the shuttle and UCS MF, but as soon as the designer said "I did the UCS X-Wing" I immediately thought internally 'guess that means no way it'll be minifig scale'.

On the plus...there have been two B-wings previously, both minifig, and the first model was wildly inaccurate. The second was closer but still left some to be desired...a sort of kit-bash between that one and this UCS model might be the way to go.

From a sculpture/display model point of view, getting past it being too big for minifigs, I think it looks great. Only area I don't like is the cockpit area.

I love how they say "the laser guns are non-functional." Well yeah...they don't shoot actual lasers...

This set looks really, really good, it's easily one of the better UCS models. Unlike most ships, this one doesn't have any "dead" areas where all you see is undersides of plates, instead it could be displayed from pretty much any angle. The functionality is great, the wings move smoothly, as does the cockpit. It's a shame it's $200 when its more like a $150 model size-wise, but this model is good enough to where it could be excused.

Wondering why the canopy from the Jedi Starfighter was used, instead of the cone part used for the cockpit of the current Millenium Falcon, the salon/escape pod of the current Republic Frigate and the hammerhead of the Tantive IV. Seems like that piece would be the proper size and shape...

At that price point I think they really missed the mark by not including an exclusive minifig. My personal preference would have been for the whole model to be minifig scale like the shuttle and UCS MF, but as soon as the designer said "I did the UCS X-Wing" I immediately thought internally 'guess that means no way it'll be minifig scale'.

On the plus...there have been two B-wings previously, both minifig, and the first model was wildly inaccurate. The second was closer but still left some to be desired...a sort of kit-bash between that one and this UCS model might be the way to go.

From a sculpture/display model point of view, getting past it being too big for minifigs, I think it looks great. Only area I don't like is the cockpit area.

I love how they say "the laser guns are non-functional." Well yeah...they don't shoot actual lasers...

Good point. That cocpit piece would have been more fitting.

I think that they should have kept the same price of $250, but made it minifig scaled, or added an exclusive minifig.

What are you talking about? Don't all Lego sets actually shoot lasers? :laugh:

Okay, so my son and I looked at the pictures of the new B-Wing a little closer today and he just told me something very interesting. He thinks it looks like The Twilight from The Clone Wars only smaller. I don't think I've ever heard that comparison.

Hmm, never thought of that before, but there are similarities.

The twilights just boxier and uglier :tongue:

When I saw the B=wing I put mine in the parts bin, they have got the shape almost perfect if I was going to update mine I would have done the wings the same, I don't like the cock pit but that may change when i see it in the flesh.

9.5/10 Lego

I definitely thing this is a gorgeous model with the fact that everything is mirrored. :wub:

It also has a great design and was one of my favorite ships when I was younger.

The price point is what I think killed this model. I really can't see myself paying that much. I can only imagine other countries where the prices are even higher. :wacko:

I genuinely cannot understand the level of negativity here. I suppose everybody is merely stating their opinion, but it comes off as sweeping condemnations.

No amount of acronyms, matters, and in reality, there should be no such divisive ideas as AFOL or any such thing. Lego makes great products, and as a company has an a mazing record and standing both in its local and international community, and in the business world. They can be enjoyed by a wide variety of peoples, and the products are for us all, you should not feel slighted, or relegated to a specific demographic based on your perception of a model.

That being said, I hope someday, despite the freedom the interent, and forums allow, every naysayer takes a moment to breathe, and realize that the model is MADE out of LEGOS. You can change anything you do not like about it. And so if the worst thing about it is that it costs too much, then you can Download the instructions for free from Lego, and build your own. If you do not mind the price, and dont like the parts, you can substitute your own. You can use it as a guideline for a great creation of your own.

Expressing yourself here is one thing, but this all reeks of vitriolic exaggerations, and really detracts from any sort of productive, sensible discussion. Any employee of Lego, or outsider reading this, could not help but to be left with the impression that Lego fans here are never satisfied, constantly disappointed, unable or unwilling to compromise, and for some reason still buying Legos, like some sort of addict in denial. Is this how you mean to portray yourselves?

Are you sure you're not getting a wrong impression here NoteWorthington? I think every member of this forum will tell you that the first and foremost reason to join the Eurobricks community is their great love and passion for LEGO. A good number of us have been collecting and building for many years, which gives us a good deal of experience with both the product and the company that produces it. That does give us a somewhat different perspective compared to the average customer. When new products like the 10227 UCS B-Wing are released or announced, we may look at it with a more critical eye than the average customer because we have a greater understanding of what can or can't be done with bricks. An official model like the 10227 will also undoubtedly be compared to some of the outstanding MOCs of the B-Wing we have seen on this forum, like the ones made by Cavegod and RenegadeClone.

People around here do have strong opinions. But where you only see negativity, i find that enthousiasm gets voiced with equal passion.

When I saw the B=wing I put mine in the parts bin, they have got the shape almost perfect if I was going to update mine I would have done the wings the same, I don't like the cock pit but that may change when i see it in the flesh.

9.5/10 Lego

Are you sure you don't want to keep yours cavegod? I really like the 10227 B-Wing (even with the awkward cockpit), but i think your version still holds its own compared to the official model. It looks a bit sleeker somehow.

The B-wing looks really great - a must buy for me! Can't complain much over the cockpit, pieces built up and around it to make the perfect size.

My only concern (except the high price - of course) is those big orange spots... Stickers I guess (can anyone confirm?)... These spots must be placed in the exact middle of the plate, otherwise it will look weird. Oh I wish these are printed...

To me it looks almost great. Not perfect, but, close! The cockpit will need to be worked on a little, but, the shape of the rest is spot on, IMO! Angles are close. Can't to see this one, next to the UCS B-Wing I built.

Jamie

Edited by jamie75

The B-wing looks really great - a must buy for me! Can't complain much over the cockpit, pieces built up and around it to make the perfect size.

My only concern (except the high price - of course) is those big orange spots... Stickers I guess (can anyone confirm?)... These spots must be placed in the exact middle of the plate, otherwise it will look weird. Oh I wish these are printed...

I think that the spots are square stickers, with the circle in the centre.