XimenaPaulina

LEGO Star Wars 2012 Pictures and Rumors

So a set that costs more than the figures from bricklink is somehow a cost effective way of getting them?

Lego could have included exclusive minifigs but instead goes with a veritable 4th tier of figures...

But how many kids or parents know about bricklink? A lot of people will see this as a cheap way of getting those figs. The planets will make good little presents as they "should" be cheap.

I would say the Escape pod is pretty well built and was what caught my attention in the first place. When I first heard about this set I was like oh this will probably be a pass, until I saw how good the escape pod was built. Then seeing the figs that go with it was just gravy. :classic:

I thought the same until I compared it to the official model. Yes, it's better than the original but it could be better.

Regarding the third leg, TLG couldn't do it without a new piece, because the typical way of adding one (Technic half pin with stud plus cheese slope) uses an illegal connection. Keeping the Technic half-pin inside the underside of R2-D2 would compress the end of the Technic half-pin, meaning it would have a weaker connection with actual Technic pieces in the future.

mmmm… I get your point, though people having a third leg here would'nt use it back in a technic set, I don't find the third leg (half pin) destroyed and anyway I won't put it elsewhere.

I agree that for TLG it may seem "illegal" IF it breaks/folds the pin (doesn't here, I've checked after months of use in an R2, with a cylinder "female" hole, no white "pushed too much" marks for me) but it is nothing compared to putting this pin on a gun (as for Fett's gun) where the pin gets immediately too widened (white marks), TLG does that no?

What do you mean by "honey-colored" and "gold-coated" C-3PO? The Threepio fig in the Droid Escape set seems to be 297 Warm Gold (BL's Pearl Gold), the same color he's appeared in for years. Unless you're comparing him with the older ones in 127 Gold (BL's Pearl Light Gold) or 310 Metalized Gold (BL's Chrome Gold).

I mean that this C3PO looks, to me, more darker than the 2nd version (I have both also so I understand - it reminds me the beginning of ep.IV where 2 C3POs meet in the Tantine IV, the other C3 has a lighter gold), plus the chrome gold from the pen, cheapest, low quality but still interesting for some settings).

It may be the overal pict that renders a darker color, I'm not sure, but I see the wires above the "belt", I see lighter/almost shining eyes (zooming on the PDF) so C3 may be darker to render the eyes more "glowing". If you look at R2 next to him, his head is a light grey (probably the usual one, not metallic) very soft white rendered, like if the pict as a low contrast (or flash effect), so how come C3 looks so much "orangy dark honey" than usual? Zoom on his eyes !!! They're more pink/glowy (should be yellow). I think it's a really new C3 so why not a new color? And so, I wish the definite R2 gets the metallic grey and a third leg as to get improved as well, I know there it's a dream, but a reasonable dream.

As for the Hoth game, I prefer it with the microfigs just considering the sheer number of figs it has. Minifigures are much more expensive than microfigs, containing multiple pre-assembled parts, so that would drive up the price a lot-- and the price, being a licensed set, will probably already be pretty high! Also, I like the "novelty" of microfigs... they can be really cute, and I expect the pint-sized Chewbacca microfig will be adorable!

Microfigs I'm not very keen on, but if it makes you happy then I'm happy for you :) The "price" is a fake argument, a playmobil is much bigger than a minifig, costs less, we're talking about plastic. Liscence, OK, one microfig is perhaps 3 cents out of factory, minifig 9 : I don't pretend to know the exact cost, but if the box is sold 20$, with 10 figs, I guess if it is sold 25$ instead with minifigs, TLG sells 4x more of this game set. Because AFOLs and wise kids will pick plenty up for use as Battle Packs.

I also look forward to seeing people make 1/2 scale versions of existing sets using the Star Wars microfigs (microfigs are two bricks tall, compared to standard minifigures which are four bricks tall)

I agree, it's another dimension for creativity (but AFOLs didn't wait for microfigs to appear for small scale stuff.)

It was nice chatting with you anyway :)

Edited by anakin66

The final design, 'Crimson' ARC trooper, is pure beauty :wub: I can't believe TLC are putting it in a cheap battlepack, one of this detail should be in a set a lot more pricy!

I'm not sure if this was mentioned before, but Barriss has a new half-cape that goes about halfway down her arms.

Unless they'll make a new piece, whick is very Unlikely.

I must say I'm a fan of the new figs, They do look very nice. But it's to much detail en less lego to me. Also the sets still focus more on the figs. I mean 4 figs in a tie fighter.1 or 2 would be fine.

Unless they'll make a new piece, whick is very Unlikely.

I must say I'm a fan of the new figs, They do look very nice. But it's to much detail en less lego to me. Also the sets still focus more on the figs. I mean 4 figs in a tie fighter.1 or 2 would be fine.

Think this is the first wave in a while where the sets have been more high profile vs the minifigs

Looks like the new x wing and TIE are significant improvements. The Genosian set is embarrassingly bad - so that's certainly a case for the opposite...

Jan wave is always the more 'basic' but it's better than last years, surely?

A third leg on R2-D2 or any other astromech droid would lack it's playability, as a leg in the middle wouldn't fit the studs.

hi, for playability check http://www.youtube.c...h?v=OuiOpv4zVyQ (around 0:50) and you can always take off the leg easily to put in an X-wing, studs are no problems here !! On the contrary, you see less of telescopic gray tube when R2 is on a studded plate than on a flat surface (the idea is not to tilt R2 too much).

As for a spinning head, a new mold for a >10 years old lego R2 is not soooo much to ask. Don't tell me it's too pricey, the novelty would make the new minifigs sell (as Boba mk2).

If TLG was more interested in playability, they wouldn't hesitate. So it may be too late for 2012, but it is part of a reasonable wishlist, added to my demand for a dewback AND a jawa in the escape pod set for example! Jawas are so rare and overpriced, and the originals are perfect for me. But no hope there…

I realize I was wrong in my precedent post, new C3PO will probably be same gold as last model, I've seen pictures of "old" C3 looking as dark, but does anyone else also think the eyes seem to shine/contrast more than before?

mmmm… I get your point, though people having a third leg here would'nt use it back in a technic set, I don't find the third leg (half pin) destroyed and anyway I won't put it elsewhere.

I agree that for TLG it may seem "illegal" IF it breaks/folds the pin (doesn't here, I've checked after months of use in an R2, with a cylinder "female" hole, no white "pushed too much" marks for me) but it is nothing compared to putting this pin on a gun (as for Fett's gun) where the pin gets immediately too widened (white marks), TLG does that no?

Incidentally, putting a half-pin on Fett's gun shouldn't stress the piece at all, no more than putting any other 3.2mm bar into the receptacle of a Technic half-pin. Perhaps the gun or pin you received was defective?

I mean that this C3PO looks, to me, more darker than the 2nd version (I have both also so I understand - it reminds me the beginning of ep.IV where 2 C3POs meet in the Tantine IV, the other C3 has a lighter gold), plus the chrome gold from the pen, cheapest, low quality but still interesting for some settings).

It may be the overal pict that renders a darker color, I'm not sure, but I see the wires above the "belt", I see lighter/almost shining eyes (zooming on the PDF) so C3 may be darker to render the eyes more "glowing". If you look at R2 next to him, his head is a light grey (probably the usual one, not metallic) very soft white rendered, like if the pict as a low contrast (or flash effect), so how come C3 looks so much "orangy dark honey" than usual? Zoom on his eyes !!! They're more pink/glowy (should be yellow). I think it's a really new C3 so why not a new color? And so, I wish the definite R2 gets the metallic grey and a third leg as to get improved as well, I know there it's a dream, but a reasonable dream.

If it's a new color, then it's a real surprise since I had expected we would have known about any and all new colors for 1H 2012 by now. I personally think it's just some quirk in the photo that makes him appear darker.

Microfigs I'm not very keen on, but if it makes you happy then I'm happy for you :) The "price" is a fake argument, a playmobil is much bigger than a minifig, costs less, we're talking about plastic. Liscence, OK, one microfig is perhaps 3 cents out of factory, minifig 9 : I don't pretend to know the exact cost, but if the box is sold 20$, with 10 figs, I guess if it is sold 25$ instead with minifigs, TLG sells 4x more of this game set. Because AFOLs and wise kids will pick plenty up for use as Battle Packs.

If Playmobil figures are cheaper than minifigures to produce then there must be cheaper materials or a cheaper production process involved. As it is, note that minifigure torsos on the online Pick-A-Brick cost 60-68 cents apiece (USD). In contrast, a minifigure head (probably closer to the price of microfigs, since it's a part with no pre-assembly, only one decoration surface, and a simple mold) is 24 cents. A full minifigure would invariably be over a dollar. And while the prices on Pick-A-Brick are no doubt higher than production costs for these pieces (partly just to make a profit; partly to subsidize the cost of your order being hand-picked in some Dutch warehouse rather than mass-produced with parts in standardized quantities), I still think it's clear that minifigures are extremely expensive compared to microfigures, especially in the quantities in which they appear in Battle of Hoth.

I agree, it's another dimension for creativity (but AFOLs didn't wait for microfigs to appear for small scale stuff.)

It was nice chatting with you anyway :)

I just think microfigs would be a bit of an invitation to work in a particular smaller scale (about 1:2), something I rarely seen done with mini models in Star Wars. I have seen it done in non-licensed sets even before microfigs were introduced; examples can be seen here, here, here, here, and here.

I suppose one reason you don't see as many strict resizings of licensed sets is that the original sets might not have been totally accurate in scale to begin with, so a person wanting to make a micro version of a Star Wars vehicle or location will base their measurements on the official vehicle rather than on previous "set versions" of that vehicle. Still, I think it would be cute to see a Millennium Falcon with the Han and Chewie microfigs seen in the background of this game image! Or an AT-AT using the snowtrooper microfigs!

Incidentally, putting a half-pin on Fett's gun shouldn't stress the piece at all, no more than putting any other 3.2mm bar into the receptacle of a Technic half-pin. Perhaps the gun or pin you received was defective?

OK you're right, my son played/forced with the half pin the wrong way. Never received a defective lego piece yet!

but in R2 I see no forcing.

If it's a new color, then it's a real surprise since I had expected we would have known about any and all new colors for 1H 2012 by now. I personally think it's just some quirk in the photo that makes him appear darker.

I agree, see post above, we're writing at the same time (here from France).

If Playmobil figures are cheaper than minifigures to produce then there must be cheaper materials or a cheaper production process involved. As it is, note that minifigure torsos on the online Pick-A-Brick cost 60-68 cents apiece (USD). In contrast, a minifigure head (probably closer to the price of microfigs, since it's a part with no pre-assembly, only one decoration surface, and a simple mold) is 24 cents. A full minifigure would invariably be over a dollar. And while the prices on Pick-A-Brick are no doubt higher than production costs for these pieces (partly just to make a profit; partly to subsidize the cost of your order being hand-picked in some Dutch warehouse rather than mass-produced with parts in standardized quantities), I still think it's clear that minifigures are extremely expensive compared to microfigures, especially in the quantities in which they appear in Battle of Hoth.

I just think microfigs would be a bit of an invitation to work in a particular smaller scale (about 1:2), something I rarely seen done with mini models in Star Wars. I have seen it done in non-licensed sets even before microfigs were introduced; examples can be seen here, here, here, here, and here.

Nice MOCs yes indeed !!

"Pick a brick" : "hand-picked" resumes it all. SW licence+LEGO Marketing, shipping cost to retailers, taxes, etc.

Retailer takes 50 to 70%. Out of the factory, with huge production, a minifig or microfig : it doesn't change more than max. 10% of the overall consumer price.

I'm no LEGO cost expert but I'm into industrial product design. Figs even in quantities (and we could've had 2 to 3 times less for the Battle of Hoth game), are not the whole weight of the set. Reasons are not economical here… it's marketing and they know what they are doing, but they're from the dark side sometimes ;)

A third leg on R2-D2 or any other astromech droid would lack it's playability, as a leg in the middle wouldn't fit the studs.

There isn't a third leg. The shadows on the box are playing tricks on our eyes. :hmpf_bad:

As for a spinning head, a new mold for a >10 years old lego R2 is not soooo much to ask. Don't tell me it's too pricey, the novelty would make the new minifigs sell (as Boba mk2).

And Boba needs a firing jetpack too, right? :hmpf: The old method works fine - there's hardly any need for a new mold, and in any case poor playability is inherent in LEGO minifigures.

but in R2 I see no forcing.

It's hard to tell by looking, but as Aanchir said, the end of the half pin is compressed - it's no different from forcing the pin into the underside of a 1x1 brick. If you try putting the pin into a Technic pin receptacle you'll find that the fit is looser (assuming that the pin stays there in the first place).

And Boba needs a firing jetpack too, right? :hmpf: The old method works fine - there's hardly any need for a new mold, and in any case poor playability is inherent in LEGO minifigures.

*huh* Is that customized or was it ever released in sets?

*huh* Is that customized or was it ever released in sets?

I've never seen that before either. Looks customised to me. :wacko: I think the separate jetpack mould was a necessity though.

I've never really worried too much about whether Astromechs could rotate their heads. It's a minor annoyance if you want to, for example, set up a scene, but then again, what about the fact that minifigures can't move their arms and legs sideways?

Edit: I found an image of the planet sets' packaging! Here!

Edit again: More images!

R2-D2 does not have a third leg. As for the minifigures... you can see there yourself. *oh2*

Edited by Delta 38

I'm surprised Barris's dark blue hood hasn't been mentioned. :sweet:

Did anyone notice C-3P0's new torso print? *oh2*

Looks like he has eye printing as well. The minifigs alone in the Droid Escape already justify purchasing the set. Looking at those Sandtroopers, I'll probably buy two.

I finally see now that Barriss is indeed different, and Gree looks great. The ARF Trooper is different then the one we've got in the previous battle pack, and while it's plainer, the ARC Trooper is definitely the highlight of the set.

Looks like a multiple-heavy year ahead. :classic:

Edited by Delta 38

Anyone notice the little 4x4 tile with printed details about the ship and Minifig on the Planet Sets' stand?

Take a look at the bottom of this picture.

Edited by Lord Of The Fries

Again,Dose anyone have any information on the y-wing?

I'm stating to lose hope about this set. :sceptic:

I was thinking about it and we usually get two limited edition sets in the first wave, so what are the two limited edition sets this wave?

Edited by North Lego Star

Again,Dose anyone have any information on the y-wing?

I'm stating to lose hope about this set. :sceptic:

I was thinking about it and we usually get two limited edition sets in the first wave, so what are the two limited edition sets this wave?

The Y-Wing and Jedi Interceptor are the limited edition sets.

I can't recall completely, but I believe at one stage, Mirandir said the mini-figures for it are a ceremonial Leia, Dutch Vander and some Astromech Droid...