22kane

What set/sets brought you out of your dark ages?

As I child I played with Lego for years, but as time passed I forgot about it and moved onto video games. Now 30 watching the Lego movie and a trip to Lego land Windsor reignited my interest.

The purchase of this set, McLaren P1 75909, was the first thing I had built in years and really sparked something I had forgotten for so many years:

19276263529_9a86587ed4_c.jpg

Edited by tweedbean

I was fortunate--my dark ages were very short. They started in 2004, when I was 15. When I was in my first year of college, I saw set 7648: Mobile Mining Unit, and picked that up. The rest, as they say, is history.

My dark ages is totally between November 2012 until March 2014.When I once again interested with Lego,I have already missed many good sets.

The set that take me out of my dark ages will be totally 44019 Rocka Stealth Machine,my first Hero Factory set.I love the Rocka mini figure in the set more than Bionicle minifigures.I also get Furno Jet Machine this year as a birthday present,but Rocka Stealth Machine is still my favorite,because this set is the one that bring me out from my dark ages.

A set that brought be back from the dark ages? This was probably in 2012 or so.

It was actually a MOC between me and an old time friend when we started talking about Legos. I grabbed my bin from the closet, cracked it open (first time in over a decade), dumped it out and built a big over-sized Technic truck for my minifigure. He sorted my minifigure parts built a minifigure, then a mecha.

For my birthday the following year he bought me 4201 Loader and Tipper. At that time we were going to make a spoof stop motion/live action Lego movie inspired by "Action Figure Therapy". It got worse for me when I went to the store at night and bought several sets mainly for the parts but didn't take them apart for the parts... What the heck am I gonna to with some completed Hobbit sets?

I had my first dark age in the mid nineties. The last set I bought back then was 1888. I went to college, kicked around, took myself way too seriously... You know how it goes. In '99, I was working security at a nightclub, when I guy I kind of knew came in on an off night and started building the X-Wing and I suddenly had to own all the Star Wars sets... But then the Lando fiasco started and I didn't really care for what I had seen of the prequels, so I lost interest. I did my second Dark age from '02 until '08, when I went into a retail store I used to work at to catch up with some friends who I hadn't seen for a while, and I saw an endcap full of Agents stuff and that truck was so awesome that I had to buy it all right then.

And it just spiraled from there.

It was a combination of a few factors.

First, my brother bought me the Ninja Turtles "Kraang Lab Escape" set for my birthday a couple of years ago. Then, I saw the LEGO Movie. And finally, after finding some of my old LEGO and building the most terrible little tower, my girlfriend informed me that she had never had a proper LEGO set of her own. I promptly bought her one, and our collections have continued to snowball from there.

Technically it's Jurassic World Indominus Rex Breakout for me. My son asked for it for his 7th birthday last month so we bought it for him. I'm 30 years old, and having been out of LEGO since about 14 I was way out of the loop. I sat down and spent about 3 hours building that set for him, and I felt like a kid again. He got two more Jurassic World sets for his birthday from grandparents, and I had those built tootsweet. I showed him how to follow the instructions and he started tearing them down and rebuilding, now he's addicted. These sets were his first LEGO.

I had an inkling that I wanted to get into LEGO again, but my wife and I have become very frugal people and it seemed silly to me. Then I saw the newer minifigs and thought I might just decide to collect those, and I began with a few Harry Potter's, but it really took off when I bought the Avengers Age of Ultron set 76029 Iron Man vs Ultron. I knew right then I had to have at least every minifig in that series, and in acquiring these minifigs, I have bought nearly all the Age of Ultron sets and I decided that I loved building way too much to ignore it. "Normal" be damned, I like LEGO and I'm not ashamed of it! I have all three versions of Ultron, Iron Man MK45, nearly all the sentries and officers, and the Scarlet Witch. I also just finished paying for 4 of the 6 sets in the series, they will be here next week. I'm having a ball!

Edited by Mercury

Nothing brought me out of my current dark age like the Lego dimension Back to The Future set (71201). I am specifically interested in the delorean.

I don't plan to purchase it directly. I plan to buy the pieces individually and put it together with the help of the PDF version of the instructions from the Lego site.

Meanwhile I an busy enjoying the emerald express (31015) and the RV/canoe (60057). :laugh:

It was the viking ship 7018 and the Dwarves' Mine 7036, both in 2010, both are absolutely gorgeous and great sets (if you mod/expand them a bit, they become awesome)

Yeah i know, both themes wheren't especially new in 2010.

I'm always a bit too late, lol.

Edited by Murrig Icehammer

7346 seaside house - it was the first set I bought without any input from my son because I was going to get it whatever he thought. Made me realise it was going to be a hobby for me as well as him.

A634663.jpg

Remembered how much I enjoyed fiddling with Legos when I was in my teens, and picked this up one day.

Always liked cars, but the interior, opening doors, and opening glass engine cover sealed it.

A good amount of useful pieces too. A lot of my car builds have a good deal of white on them.

Well...when I saw the first Iron Man LEGO figure it killed me that I did not have that :laugh: So I started again...and it got sooooo out of hand!! I am hooked on everything LEGO Super Hero related, and I got into CMFs too. Series 9 or 10 was the first I got some figures from.

When I saw my wife's niece collecting the CMS. I looked for my old space figs, and that's when it started.