1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

gallery_101_23_281.gif

gallery_6705_157_17796.png

Plo Koon and his trusty astro droid, R7-D4, travel the galaxy in search of the evil head of the Seperatist army, General Grievous. Will they be able to find the scheming General, or will they be forever lost in space? Follow their adventure as we build 8093: Plo Koon's Jedi Starfighter.

opening_pic.png

Review: 8093 Plo Koon's Jedi Starfighter

Name: Plo Koon's Jedi Starfighter

Number: 8093

Theme: Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Pieces: 175

Minifigures: 2

Price: 24.99 USD/25.99 GBP/27.95 EUR/39.99 AUD

Brickset

Peeron

Bricklink

LEGO.com

Here's what Shop@Home has to say about it.

Lead the search for General Grievous" with Jedi Master Plo Koon"!

Jedi Master Plo Koon, leader of a Clone Army task force, scours the space lanes for General Grievous new superweapon, Malevolence, as seen in Star Wars: The Clone Wars. If the mission proves too dangerous, Plo Koon can eject from his starfighter and live to fight the Separatists another day!

• Includes 2 minifigures: Jedi Master Plo Koon and R7-D4 Astromech Droid
  • Eject minifigures from the cockpit ejection seat in the Starfighter!
  • Plo Koon's Starfighter measures 10 (26cm) long

The Box:

8093a.jpg

The front of the box features Plo Koon flying his Jedi Starfighter though space under the 'Star Wars' logo. (Box pic from onetwobrick.net)

The Instructions:

instructions_1.png

The instruction booklet features the same art as the box. Now we can clearly see that Plo Koon is being shot at by some unseen enemy. Watch out, Plo Koon! :wink:

instructions_2.png

A random instruction page. This features steps 22 and 23, in which the 'main' part of the ship is being finished up. There are piece call-outs in the instructions, which can be quite helpful to kids who are relatively new to LEGO building.

The Pieces:

pieces_1.png

The first part of the pieces. Here we have the light and dark gray pieces accompanied by some black and yellow bits. There seem to be lots of technic and hinge pieces in this set!

pieces_2.png

The second part of the pieces. Here we ahve the white and blue pieces (mostly wedge plates) 8093 contains 175 pieces in all, which is alright for 25 USD. Please keep in mind that those blue wedge pieces are not printed; I just applied the stickers beforehand.

interesting.png

Obviously, the most 'interesting' piece in the entire set is Plo Koon's head, which is made from a similar rubber to the S4 Mad Scientist hair. Other pieces of interest are the astromech body and head, the metallic silver lightsaber hilt, the round 2x2 tile with the Republic insignia, and the trans-black cockpit. Although not all of these pieces are particularly 'rare' (the cockpit and the lightsaber hilt are good examples of this), I'm still happy to get them.

The Minifigures:

minifigs_1.png

The minifigures for 8093 are Plo Koon and his astro droid, R7-D4. Personally, I think this a great minifig selection, and I don't think that LEGO could've added any more without making the set over-crowded.

minifigs_2.png

Here's the back of the minfigs. No back printing in this set (apart from the back of R7-D4's head), but I don't really think it's needed for either of the 'figs.

The Accessories:

accessory.png

We only get one accessory in this set- Plo Koon's lightsaber. Generic as it is, I love getting another lightsaber hilt in metallic silver. :wub:

The Build:

build_1.png

Here's the build after step seven. Those hinge pieces are for holding on the landing gear and wings of the ship. It's not much yet, but don't worry, it gets better. :wink:

build_2.png

The build after step fourteen. Now we've started to build up the cockpit and added the nose. As you can see, there's a number of 'regular' bricks used in the build, which isn't something you see every day in Star Wars sets.

build_3.png

The build after step twenty-one. Now we've built up the 'main' part of the ship even more with the slope and wedge bricks. Not much to go now!

build_4.png

And after step thirty-three, the ship is finished! We've added the wings (which were built in their respective sub-steps), finished the cockpit and the 'main' part of the ship, and added the fin in the back. I have to say, the ship looks superb.

Complete Set:

complete_build_1_v2.png

Here's the right flank of the ship. The ship looks just about the same on both sides, but the right flank has the nice Republic insignia and lightsaber on it, while the left flank does not.

complete_set_2.png

Here's an overview shot of the ship. From above, the blue and white striping pattern looks wonderful!

build_5.png

The cockpit. Despite being stickers, I think the control panels are pretty nice. You can also see the Republic insignia and the lightsaber over on the right side there. Although I'm not sure why you'd want to leave a released lightsaber on the side of a ship... :look:

build_6.png

The underbelly of the ship. You can see the landing gear now, which can fold into the ship for 'takeoff'. It's a great way to make landing gear for a ship, much better than LEGO's old method of using these.

Play Feature:

play_feature_1.png

The 'Play Feature' for this set is triggered by this little technic ball.

play_feature_2.png

The little technic ball is attached to this dark tan piece, which gets pushed up when you press the ball piece up. You place Plo Koon (or whoever you want) on top of the dark tan piece, which...

play_feature_3.png

'Ejects' the driver out of the seat. I have to admit, it's a pretty entertaining 'play feature', although Plo Koon doesn't always go very far when 'fired'. I suppose the 'ejection seat' is meant to be used when the ship is on a slope.

Final Verdict:

final_verdict.png

8093 is a really nice set. It represents the 'real' thing well, and it's a nice cheap way to get Plo Koon (and a beautiful new astro droid to boot! :wub:). Now let's go onto the scores, shall we? :wink:

SCORES:

Design: 9/10

I've got to admit, the ship looks great. I know it's based on the Clone Wars television show, but the blue and white color-scheme goes perfectly on a Jedi Starfighter.

Parts: 8/10

You get plenty of blue, gray, and white plates for your money, as well as some pretty interesting parts and stickers.

Figures: 10/10

I personally think that Plo Koon and R7-D4 are all this set needs. Both 'figs look fantastic, and they're great additions to any Lego Star Wars fan's collection.

Playability: 9/10

The 'ejection seat' is a pretty cool 'play feature', although it doesn't always work perfectly. Plus, the set is a spaceship, so I'm sure that any kid would be happy to 'swoosh' it around.

Value for Money: 8/10

$25 USD isn't that bad for 175 pieces, and frankly, the ship itself is worth the money. I think LEGO could've lowered the price by about $5 USD, but it's still reasonable enough.

Overall: 44/50

This really is a fantastic set, and like I said before, it's a nice cheap way to get Plo Koon.

Parting Shot:

down_with_the_ship.png

Due to budget cuts, the Republic couldn't afford to put an ejection seat under the astro droid, so while Plo Koon gets to eject safely, poor R7-D4 has to go down with the ship.

Thanks for reading! :sweet:

Nice review Captain Tamamono, You have the format right. I bought this but havent build it yet and now I know what Im in for.

I was surprised that TLG had the courage to make this set considering it's colour scheme, but I think they did well with a minimum of stickers. Thanks for the review! :sweet:

Pretty cool set, my first SW set since the dark ages, together with the clone BP. It's not that special, as we have already seen plenty of similar Starfighters, but it's still a nice set; even though blue isn't that unique, all the wedge plates are useful. And the minifigs are good enough for me too, we haven't seen that astromech droid before I guess.

Great review. This set is great, but again, the price is terrible. $35 CAD for this? Give me a break.

Wow, excellent review, thanks!

But I do agree that this set is overpriced - and still cluttering the shelves at the local TRU, Target, Lego store, etc....