jasonsmith

10179 UCS Falcon Pricing

I'd say that person has more than just a loose brick in their head.

... and plain wrong (or simply endorsing misinformation for financial gain). More than 10,000 collector editions of 10179 were released so we can add 'opportunism' or idiocy to his lunacy!!

Still, if it sells then I'm happy to eat humble pie. It will be a stunning reminder that there is always an even 'looser' brick out there!!! :sick:

Well I finally got around to building it after collecting all the pieces many moons ago. I went one step further and added lighting. I wanted to go Lego only which posed a challenge both logistically and financially. There are 28 LED's (14 Lego light kits), with a bunch of both 20" and 8" Lego PF Extension cables. It all runs off of one battery box. The photographer in me has checked out so for the time being here is a quick and dirty video showing the lights. It's taken from my Galaxy Nexus phone so please don't mind the quality. It's also taken in the dark with no audio other than ambient noise. Not the greatest video but you'll get the point.

I'll post up some good quality pics when I can.

Edited by jasonsmith

Well I finally got around to building it after collecting all the pieces many moons ago. I went one step further and added lighting. I wanted to go Lego only which posed a challenge both logistically and financially. There are 28 LED's (14 Lego light kits), with a bunch of both 20" and 8" Lego PF Extension cables. It all runs off of one battery box. The photographer in me has checked out so for the time being here is a quick and dirty video showing the lights. It's taken from my Galaxy Nexus phone so please don't mind the quality. It's also taken in the dark with no audio other than ambient noise. Not the greatest video but you'll get the point.

I'll post up some good quality pics when I can.

Hi, this looks really nice, well done! :classic: Please can you include some photos showing how you connected the LEDs to the engine section. I've been wanting to modify mine for a while (since I saw Marshall_Banana's version) and I'd like to go via the 'purist' Lego route as well!

Hi, this looks really nice, well done! :classic: Please can you include some photos showing how you connected the LEDs to the engine section.

I'll take some pics when I take it apart. You know what though... I too sat around thinking and thinking about how I was going to make it work, looking back and forth at the manual etc. In the end it was easy when I decided to just do it rather than think about it. Give it a go, you'll be happy you did.

Here are some pics as promised: As stated before, 100% Lego. About an extra $100 bucks or so in lights, cables etc but well worth it for such a spectacular model. Oh and sorry for the dirty pics, I think my sensor is dusty.

IMG_2448_v1.JPG

IMG_2451.JPG

IMG_2456.JPG

IMG_2459.JPG

IMG_2464_v1.JPG

IMG_2473.JPG

IMG_2475.JPG

IMG_2477_v1.JPG

IMG_2488_v1.JPG

Thanks for the photos, very nice work!

I'm intrigued as to how you did this; is it anything like my attempt below? (obviously with the 2x3 plates & bricks replaced with trans-clear!). I used a 1 x 2 clear brick - the LED is slightly off-centre but it seems to work.

Did you remove the dark-grey technic beams & pins as they don't look like they do much in terms of strength? Also, did you use trans-clear or trans-light blue? Cheers, Robin :classic:

img_2085.jpg

I'll take some pics when I take it apart. You know what though... I too sat around thinking and thinking about how I was going to make it work, looking back and forth at the manual etc. In the end it was easy when I decided to just do it rather than think about it. Give it a go, you'll be happy you did.

Here are some pics as promised: As stated before, 100% Lego. About an extra $100 bucks or so in lights, cables etc but well worth it for such a spectacular model. Oh and sorry for the dirty pics, I think my sensor is dusty.

That is absolutely gorgeous! It make me want to plop down $2100 for a Falcon and lights right now, as it is just sooo spectacular. Very impressively done, especially since it's purist.

Don't worry about the photos as your skills as a photographer far overshadows any technical glitches with the equipment - they're beautiful!

That's awesome. :wub_drool:

The light streaming out onto the landing struts and out of the boarding hatch give an incredible effect to the complete look of the Falcon. I love the fact that you've taken the time to do this with only LEGO's lighting, too.

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

Thanks for the kinds words fellas, appreciate it. No need to spend a whole pile of money. This was a BrickLink project with the important bits purchased through Lego. I think with the lights I came in around the $750-$800 mark. All new parts and 100% accurate color. The only things I don't have is the 30th anny sticker and the certificate.

Thanks for the photos, very nice work!

I'm intrigued as to how you did this; is it anything like my attempt below? (obviously with the 2x3 plates & bricks replaced with trans-clear!). I used a 1 x 2 clear brick - the LED is slightly off-centre but it seems to work.

Did you remove the dark-grey technic beams & pins as they don't look like they do much in terms of strength? Also, did you use trans-clear or trans-light blue? Cheers, Robin :classic:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Lobot/BespinWIP/img_2085.jpg

Not quite like your attempt although I like your method better. Yes you will need the 2x3 clear plates but also get some 1x2 clear plates as the 2x3's are hard to find and there is no need to have 3 2x3's stacked on each other when you could stack 2 on top of the 1x2's. Your lights need to be dead center to each of the blue/clear plate packs or the lights will be seen at angles.

Yes I removed the existing technic beams and replaced them with connectors to attach to longer beams to so the lights simply just plugged into the back. The path from your lights to the trans clear engine modules needs to be straight on and center, so when aligning the beam in the back there really is only one place it can go so it all works out.

I used trans-clear, they give a "jewel" sort of look into the trans blue tiles.

The only issue per se was the outer most engine modules because they have the technic lift beams attached to connect to the main structure for support. That lift beams on each side need to be there but I think I rotated mine and moved it over a hole to make room for the lights. You'll see when you get to that point. I'm a Technic guy so I have a ton of Technic bits to choose from, if you have some kicking around it won't be a big deal.

Build the whole thing first though so you know how and why it's put together the way it is then do your modding.

I'm sure you will all find a better way of doing it. In the end though what ever you do back there won't be seen, the structure hides it all very well.

The unofficial, maybe not required depending on your style Parts List:

Battery Box

Lights

Extension Cables

2x3 Trans-Clear Plates

1x2 Trans Clear Plates

Technic Beams (1x13??)(1x5??)

Technic Connectors

That's awesome. :wub_drool:

The light streaming out onto the landing struts and out of the boarding hatch give an incredible effect to the complete look of the Falcon. I love the fact that you've taken the time to do this with only LEGO's lighting, too.

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

Awesome! thank you.

Edited by jasonsmith

IMG_2477_v1.JPG

Just wanted to point out this pic, it really reminds me of the Space Slug Cave in ESB :thumbup:, Absolutely wonderful job on the lighting.

Just to prove that there are some bargains about if you look around: (link here). I'm amazed how little this sold for; it looks like there's a few bits missing (the feet, for example!), but still a bargain :classic:

You said the exact same thing in the other UCS Falcon thread. Why resurrect this one that's almost a year old...?

You said the exact same thing in the other UCS Falcon thread. Why resurrect this one that's almost a year old...?

In fairness, the previous post in the thread was made just slightly less than two-thirds of a year ago, which I think is a bit of a stretch to call "almost a year" old (unless you're referring to the time the thread was started, which is well over a year earlier, but I'm not sure why that would be important)...

gonna pop mine on ebay for £4000 BIN i will even deliver it anywhere in uk lol

Hmmm, guess I'll have to sell mine for 5000 then - it is only fair, because it has at least 500 more bricks :P