Brickdoctor

[MOC] AT-ST

gallery_101_23_281.gif

5951956503_4d0b99d83f_b.jpg

The AT-ST's always been one of my favorites. The overall design is just awesome. Building mine, I went with my usual sizing, with emphasis on high amount of detail and low amount of studs. The most challenging part of the build was, probably as expected, getting the model to stand on its own two feet. It does - and with full articulation - but I did end up making a stand for it, since displaying it by itself was too scary.

5951956847_27fc6b85de_b.jpg

For this MOC, I also attempted to work the Technic required to hold it together into the overall design and shape, and not just as greebling or hiding it.

5951957085_1d340f86a8_b.jpg

Weapons! Everyone likes complicated guns, right? The main gun was a challenge, because of all the little cylinders on it. Binoculars solved that well, I think. One of the things I don't like about some AT-STs (my previous Midi-scale included) is that the concussion grenade launcher is too big, so I attempted to get that right in this model.

5951957311_6f6a88117f_b.jpg

The repeating guns on the side were a little troublesome as well; I still think they're a little bulky.

5952510764_49746be40e_b.jpg

I love this shot. The hoses and shapes on the back of the 'head' work so well together.

5951957985_3305d5340a_b.jpg

One thing a lot of people I've talked to assume about the AT-ST is that the cockpit hatch opens to the back. Actually, it opens to the side. To make things more difficult, I decided that a 3-wide hatch was the right size.

5952511418_6015b2c310_b.jpg

Full interior, of course. Seats two, comfortably. No shots of the whole interior at the time, but I'll probably take some eventually.

5951958689_2848a41ba9_b.jpg

This was one of my favorite parts to work on. I see all those great cheese slope mosaics others do, but I've never previously had a chance to do something like that myself. No, they're not all attached. Most are, but six are held in only by friction.

5951958989_66dc8925ba_b.jpg

This is probably the only place where I strayed from the basic design of the studio model. Instead of the leg rotating on a piece attached to a hinge, I went with a ball joint, which was much stronger than any of the other LEGO assemblies I could come up with.

5951959235_fba9d647e9_b.jpg

Ooh, very tough, these. If you ever desire a feeling of intense satisfaction with an MOC, go build something that has to hold up a chunk of heavy SNOT with two legs that include multiple joints and have to be skinny and detailed. If you've never done a fist pump before, you will do one when you get it to stand up on its own.

5952512562_33872399e9_b.jpg

Not totally satisfied with these. Couldn't find anything good for the fence cutters other than these, which lots of people use but are a bit on the small side.

5952030941_c34ebb1ed5_b.jpg

This is the only point in this vehicle where one can really greeble. I did want to point out two parts in the above shot - the 'neck' is a rubber tire flipped inside-out, and the greebling includes a samurai helmet.

Much credit and inspiration is due to marshall banana. Source material I worked with can be found here. FInished July 2011, C&C welcome. Thanks for looking! :classic:

Truly Epic in all proportions, I have Lego's original out of the box, but this is monumental. Such detail and attention to such.

I had no idea you were an engineer, well done Sir, and thank you for sharing such a magnificent creation with us.

I think George would be proud, perhaps you should eMail him, he might offer you a position, if he truly appreciates talent.

Edited by legodac

You didn't, you just imply it with your modelling skills. By the way, what crossed your mind when I suggested that George may....?

I think George would be proud, perhaps you should eMail him, he might offer you a position, if he truly appreciates talent.

By the way, what crossed your mind when I suggested that George may....?

:sweet: That's a huge complement. Working for Lucasfilm probably would be a fun job, but right now I'm not that excited about the way they're straying from the established storyline, and unfortunately LEGO is about the only modeling medium I'm good in. I can do some 3D, but that's also with LEGO and I still can't do any good building without the physical bricks in my hands, and in things like clay all I can make are balls, pretzels, and strings.

As I stated on Flickr, this is epic in many ways! The cheese slopes on the back of the head are a nice technique. Love the overall shape, legs, etc. The only thing I would change would be the middle "toes". I would try slope/curved slope parts of some sort or hinge plates with tiles. Otherwise, this is PERFECT! :wub:

What was that curved part on the top of the hatch?...never seen that piece before unless its one of those tubes.

What was that curved part on the top of the hatch?...never seen that piece before unless its one of those tubes.

Yep, it's flex tubing.

Beautiful work Brickdoctor, you are honestly one of the best Star Wars builders out there on the Internet. Phenomenally amazing accuracy and detail, and a fine integration of Technic and System elements.

Yes Is one of those flexable tubes.

Doctor, you have done and awsome AT-ST, I relly like it. Really nice unusualy building technieques. As always I will agree with you on your critasims but I think you are being a bit to hash on yourself. Great job, and love how you spent the time to the features and proportions right. The only thing I really dont like is the T-47 tile from the mini set. If it was flush with the frount it would look better but cant really pick anything else. + IMO yours is much better than marshall banana's.:thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited by wokajablocka

Easily the best AT-ST I've ever seen, mini, fig, midi, Miniland, or UCS scale. Fantastic work, BD.

Awesome. I fully agree with Pie on this one. This is one of the best AT-STs I've seen.

The rear is my favourite part, especially with the cheese slopes :thumbup:

Easily the best AT-ST I've ever seen, mini, fig, midi, Miniland, or UCS scale. Fantastic work, BD.

Agreed! Spot-on, and great details. Those legs are fantastic...best I've seen.

Thanks, everyone. :sweet:

As always I will agree with you on your critasims but I think you are being a bit to hash on yourself.

But if I settled for the current level I'm at, I'd never improve, right?

Another fantastic MOC, Brickdoctor! There are so many aspects of the original - the hollowed-out back of the head, the thick midsection, the spindly legs - that you've achieved in bricks, and the end result does a very nice job of recreating the "chicken walker" feel of the AT-ST; I applaud you for this. It is simply amazing how all the little details fit together seamlessly to create a quality look. The detail on the back of the head would have to be my favorite part of this MOC, as it resembles the original quite well, and the mix of greys and bleys you've thrown in throughout the build adds a nice touch. The greebling on the torso and legs is great as well; that's a rather clever use of the samurai helmet. And of course, the fact that you've managed to pull this off amongst your contributions to the RCB and, less recently, mafia games, are impressive as well.

How does the angle at which the sides of the head taper compare to this? From the images you've provided, the angle appears to be a bit steeper on your model, but I can't tell for sure.

I am also curious as to how big this is. Seeing as your AT-ST, in spite of having brickbuilt sides, is able to seat two minifigures side by side, it seems like it would be a little bigger than the ideal scale, since it is suggested by this and various scenes in Jedi that the head of the full-scale model is unable to seat more than one person comfortably. Then again, full-scale models are traditionally built undersized...

A few minor nitpicks:

- There should be another boxy section under the hexagonal area in the back, as seen here; it looks like that would be a quick fix though.

- I am wondering whether it would be possible to relocate the ball joint so that it connects the inner leg to the torso because it appears from the beginning of this clip that the AT-ST's innermost joint has a greater range of motion than the one just outside it, which consists of a hinge.

@wokajablocka; as fantastic as Brickdoctor's MOCs are, it seems to me that it is the fact that AFOLs constantly strive to further improve on their and each others' work that keeps the community alive. Just compare lowlead's T-47 with psiaki's and you can see just how much the AFOL community has changed over time. :classic:

Good work Brickdoctor! :thumbup: All of the greebling and SNOT work is amazing. And I agree that the cutters on the foot are a bit small. :grin: I was starting to get a bit worried since you hadn't posted any Star Wars MOCs in a while.

This is lovely. I was hoping to build one of these myself, now I know where to come for 'research'. I remember saying that I thought you had redefined the definitive Lego T-47, I think you've just done the same for the AT-ST. A fine job sir :thumbup:

Full interior, of course. Seats two, comfortably. No shots of the whole interior at the time, but I'll probably take some eventually.

This is called procrastination and I'm sure it leads to the Dark-Side. I'd love to see some interior shots, only much sooner than 'eventually'. Please :wink:

One word 'Brick Doctor'......AWESOME ! :excited:

The detail sells it, scale prefect....but can it take a Chewie ! :iamded_lol:

May the Eurobrick be with you always 'BD' ! :excited:

I concur. Really really good brickdoctor :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:.

Another great-looking build Doc, it was really a pleasure looking at the various details you've put into this beauty - it's like you 'left no stones unturned' with regards to the highly-articulated detailing of this MOC. Really an impressive work on this one! :thumbup:

I already mentioned this on MOCpages Brickdoctor; you just surpassed yourself! An absolutely lovely representation of one of the most epic OT vehciles there is. Although the legs are probably the best part, I don't think the hull is less fantastic, especially the back of this thing is stunning. Well done on this!

How does the angle at which the sides of the head taper compare to this? From the images you've provided, the angle appears to be a bit steeper on your model, but I can't tell for sure.

It is steeper. I settled for a compromise because I didn't want the 2x3 wedge plates used on the front of the 'head' to look too angled. I also tried slightly different angles, and in person, I think it looks better this way.

I am also curious as to how big this is. Seeing as your AT-ST, in spite of having brickbuilt sides, is able to seat two minifigures side by side, it seems like it would be a little bigger than the ideal scale, since it is suggested by this and various scenes in Jedi that the head of the full-scale model is unable to seat more than one person comfortably. Then again, full-scale models are traditionally built undersized...

As with my T-16 and T-47, it's scaled to the width of the minifigs. Might be a bit on the larger size, but still close enough. I've also opted for the display pose where the legs are extended further than what I think is the resting position, so it is taller, and compared to my T-16 it's the same scale.

- There should be another boxy section under the hexagonal area in the back, as seen here; it looks like that would be a quick fix though.

The reference material I used had the stand inserted there, so that's why I missed it. I'll fix that. Eventually. :grin:

- I am wondering whether it would be possible to relocate the ball joint so that it connects the inner leg to the torso because it appears from the beginning of this clip that the AT-ST's innermost joint has a greater range of motion than the one just outside it, which consists of a hinge.

There has to be a ball joint where it is now for the leg to rotate. Originally the inner leg had ball joints on both ends, but it was too weak.

This is called procrastination and I'm sure it leads to the Dark-Side. I'd love to see some interior shots, only much sooner than 'eventually'. Please :wink:

But the Dark Side has some lovely craft I want to MOC. :cry_sad:

I'll do it soon. Sun's not out right now, though, so I can't get a good pic, today. Maybe tomorrow. Or the day after. Or eventually. :grin:

I already mentioned this on MOCpages Brickdoctor; you just surpassed yourself!

Surpassing oneself should be the goal of every MOCer. It forces you to improve. :classic: