Trent

Cataloguing your collection

Looking for advice on how people manage their parts inventory?

I started out using lugnet and peeron, just adding whole sets. Then I imported those into brickset and rebrickable. I'm trying to keep them all up to date as I'm not sure which is better to use.

Now I've started to buy loose parts from bricklink, and I'm a bit stuck as to how to proceed. Are there some sites that are good at importing directly from bricklink, or that support relatively easy importing of loose parts lists? Peeron/lugnet seem to be slow/old so are they less well maintained?

Looking for some guidance on the current state of Lego inventory tools so I invest my time into the best way forward.

Looking for advice on how people manage their parts inventory?

I started out using lugnet and peeron, just adding whole sets. Then I imported those into brickset and rebrickable. I'm trying to keep them all up to date as I'm not sure which is better to use.

Now I've started to buy loose parts from bricklink, and I'm a bit stuck as to how to proceed. Are there some sites that are good at importing directly from bricklink, or that support relatively easy importing of loose parts lists? Peeron/lugnet seem to be slow/old so are they less well maintained?

Looking for some guidance on the current state of Lego inventory tools so I invest my time into the best way forward.

I am the creator of Rebrickable and am currently working on a feature to import parts from a Bricklink orders file. Hope to finish in the next few days :)

Personally I've never been able to find a good tool for this either. I just remember what all parts I've bought and in what quantities.

You can now import a Bricklink XML export of your parts orders into your Rebrickable My Parts list. If you have any troubles with it please let me know!

You can now import a Bricklink XML export of your parts orders into your Rebrickable My Parts list. If you have any troubles with it please let me know!

That is an awesome page and a lot of effort.

Congrats. :thumbup:

I've had a great experience with Basebrick. The Basebrick interface allows for much more granular management of your parts inventory, but is much less pretty and "Web 2.0" than Rebrickable. I also find it nice that with Basebrick I can say I have 2888 1x1 round plates (207 white, 40 blue, 7 dark purple, etc).

I've had a great experience with Basebrick. The Basebrick interface allows for much more granular management of your parts inventory, but is much less pretty and "Web 2.0" than Rebrickable. I also find it nice that with Basebrick I can say I have 2888 1x1 round plates (207 white, 40 blue, 7 dark purple, etc).

Yes, but can you mass import from either peeron, brickset or bricklink? If you have to update piece by piece by hand, its next to useless for me, I might as well use a paper and pencil.

worked beautifully. Imported 11 orders in one go without issue. Thanks so much for the quick update.

Yes, but can you mass import from either peeron, brickset or bricklink? If you have to update piece by piece by hand, its next to useless for me, I might as well use a paper and pencil.

Yes, it does mass upload from BrickLink, Peeron, and Brickset, and (hopefully soon) Rebrickable.

but is much less pretty and "Web 2.0" than Rebrickable

Hello, I'm the guy behind basebrick.

Web 2.0 :laugh: ! We all have our limitations. Some more than others LOL

Rebrickable is pretty indeed.

Yes, it does mass upload from BrickLink, Peeron, and Brickset, and (hopefully soon) Rebrickable.

I will add that of course at some point (didn't realise it was nessessary until now).

thanks. Its difficult to tell as the homepage is very sparse unless you register.

I am looking for a better way to inventory my parts. I have a number of sets, still in boxes that I bought primarily for the parts. Most of them I may build once just to learn what can be learned.

But I really want to know where my parts are!

What I have done so far is to enter my sets into Brickset. What a surprise in terms of number of parts I have just waiting to be used, and what I spent on them.

Then I exported my sets to Peeron and deleted the sets from my Peeron inventory that have been assembled or parted out for other purposes, so now in Peeron I just have sets listed that are still in boxes.

What I want to do is to be able to look at a list of my parts, then from the list see what sets contain those parts. Peeron does this to some degree, but Peeron does not have inventory for all the sets, most that are missing inventory for sets that are 1-3 years old. So I have a good list of all my unopened sets in Peeron, but not all my parts contained in those sets.

I also have a copy of Brickstore for Mac OS X that I have not explored fully, but it appears that it is intended for Bricklink integration for sellers.

So, any ideas about how to accomplish what I am trying to do?

In case what I am asking got lost, here is what I want...

I want to look at a list of my parts, select the parts I want to use and be able to find what of the sets I own contain those parts and in what quantity.

Thanks for any help,

Andy D

I use Basebrick.com. It is the best way to track your parts and sets, bar none. It allows you to track loose parts and parts from sets separately, and make notes to help you track where parts are used. The inventories are more complete than Peeron. It also has a very handy "Can I build it?" function that lets you choose an official set and see if you have the parts to make it.

It also tracks minifigs separately.

You can import lists from Brickset or Peeron very easily as well.

Wow! I just tried BaseBrick. Thanks to Chorduroy for suggesting this, thanks to MarcoB for his hard work on making BaseBrick what it is.

I set up an account, and in under 10 minutes I imported my sets and parts list from Peeron and was actually using it. I was able to see a list of my parts, see how many of each I have and where they are. This is great! I can now go shopping for parts for MOCs in my own inventory of sets.

If you want to get organized, use BaseBrick!

(see my motto for 2013, BaseBrick is a big help to achieving this)

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I have been using Excel up until now and that has been good. My other passion is programming so I am just starting to design my own custom software that does exactly what I wantt, the way I want.

Hi all - I'm going to embark on a storage/organizational project where I combine all my Creator house sets into one storage solution. Before I start buying storage containers, I'd like to see an inventory of all my pieces. Basically, what I'd like to do is find a website where I can enter my 8 sets, and be able to print a list of all the pieces I have. Several of my sets have white bricks, and I'd like to see combined how many white pieces I have so that I know how many boxes, etc. to get. Does that make sense? I know I could look at the parts lists of each set separately, but I'm wondering if I can find a way to combine the sets' parts list, so that, for example, I know how many 1x2 white bricks I have (from all my sets). Thanks for any help!

Try BaseBrick.com, you can enter your sets and get a listing of combined parts. It willeven tell you wht parts are in what sets.

Andy D

Excellent, thanks! This is exactly what I want. I knew someone here would be able to help!

I took apart most of my sets long ago and dumped them all into a series of boxes... Now I'm in the process of counting and cataloging them all into smaller storage containers. It's quite the labor but a labor of love. Long story short, I just count all my bricks as opposed to looking online for inventories.

I'll probably do the dump and sort tactic at some point, but I just wanted to get an idea of the number of different parts and different colors I had first. That way, I can start to determine what types of storage containers I want to purchase. I'm sure it will be a work in progress for a while, I just wanted to see if I could get an idea of what I had. The Basebrick recommendation was perfect for what I needed. All I needed to do was enter the sets I had, and then I could click on a link to see the combined inventory. Thanks everyone!

Another idea is to use Bricklink.

If you already have an account as a buyer, set yourself up as a seller, very simple. All you have to do then is upload your sets to your store, making sure you have the stockroom flag set, so your sets are not visible to buyers. Once all your sets are loaded you can then look in your store inventory and see all your parts. You can also use the "My Remarks" field to enter details such as location.

Hi all, this might have been covered already, but the only topics I can find are those regarding complete sets.

What I'm looking for is an easy way of creating an inventory of all my loose Lego pieces which can then be used to tell me what sets/partial sets I have hidden in there.

I have a lot of odd bits and am sure there are sets hidden, but without a way of cataloging all of the pieces and having something to compare thm with its impossible.

I have already tried Peeron and used that to find which sets unusual pieces belong to, but its not easy describing some of them lol

Ideally I would like a site were I can put in I have 20 of part X, 15 of part Y and 3 of part Z and it then tells me which sets I can create.

Thanks in advance for any advice