Sign in to follow this  
501st Commando

Republic Gunship

gallery_101_23_281.gif

For my latest MOC I decided to take on the most iconic PT vehicle, the Republic Gunship. From the start I knew I wanted it to have some play features, so the proportions (mainly the height) are a tad inaccurate as of now, but I plan on improving it in the future! I also plan on trying some color variations, and adding bubble turrets. That's it for now, and C@C is welcome as always!

5937230294_d636855d1e.jpg

5937230298_654650e936.jpg

5937230318_7c569538a1.jpg

More on Flickr.

Edited by KielDaMan
Indexed

Quite nice work there, 501st Commando! The SNOT work is well done. I agree, though, the proportions are off, and that does make it look a bit weird in the main pic.

Nice, can only see a few studs left over the whole ship. Im interested in seeing the next round of your modifyed gunship.

The fact that this is SNOT makes my eyeballs pop outta my head! I love all the details and shape, but I can definately see room for more details to be added (turrets, inside details, etc). :thumbup:

Hey not bad. The doors are the best part. :thumbup: This makes me want to restart my own one of these........

Very smooth and angular-looking, 501st Commando. I think the proportions are fine--the exaggerated chunkiness of the ship gives it a nice cartoon-y charm, like something out of the first Clone Wars cartoon. :thumbup:

Nice job capturing the impressive wingspan of the LAAT/i. I'm really liking the SNOT work on this. :thumbup: I also like your use of the new trans-black bubble canopy as well as how you've done the wing-mounted turrets.

I think the proportions are fine--the exaggerated chunkiness of the ship gives it a nice cartoon-y charm, like something out of the first Clone Wars cartoon. :thumbup:

Seconded.

As far as constructive criticism goes, I would try and add some more details as M<0><0<DSWIM suggested. I also think the front could be improved slightly if it were done in a fashion similar to this. :classic:

Ignoring the proportions, it looks great without the studs. Nice work.

I'd argue the claim of it being the most iconic PT ship though...simply because the PT has no iconic ships ignoring the Slave I. If you surveyed 100 people, the most "well-known" PT ship would probably be the N-1.

Edited by StoutFiles

Great job 501st Commando :thumbup:. I like the proportions, even if they are wrong it looks kinda cartoon-y like that. The fact that this is SNOT for the most part is quite impressive. Adding the turrets would be a good idea, but don't change the shape or colour of it :grin:.

Oh I love how the doors are done :blush:.

The proportions seem all correct to me. I love the SNOT, the features and the overall shape, very well done! :thumbup:

The only critique I would have is already mentioned before: the details. Oh, and another detail, I would add more dark red around the cockpit, I think that's accurater. :classic:

Edited by Hollander

What's SNOT to love about this one eh ? :laugh:

AWESOME creation '501st Commando', the large amount of SNOT work especially the doors is just fantastic. :thumbup:

May the Eurobrick be with you '501st Commando' ! :grin:

The wings , the sliding doors and the cockpit area are perfect , just work on the front a bit and the moc will be a total win !

The proportions seem all correct to me. I love the SNOT, the features and the overall shape, very well done! :thumbup:

The only critique I would have is already mentioned before: the details. Oh, and another detail, I would add more dark red around the cockpit, I think that's accurater. :classic:

I actually don't think the proportions are too terrible. Looking through these, the only really glaring error is the height and a few alignment issues. I'm sure 501st Commando will address those...

Argh! My eyes!

?

Main post updated! The height is now 2 bricks shorter and more to scale with the EP.II version. I still want to fix some things, such as the nose, but for now I'm happy with the end result.

@-Thanks for the great C@C everyone! :classic:

Looks much better shortened! :thumbup: Something about the way the angles line up on the front seems odd; can't quite place it.

It's a big improvement ( not to say that it wasn't good before , read my previous post ) , but to make it perfect you still need to work on the front a bit ....default_sceptic.gif Again , it's one of the best mocs I've ever seen , I just hope to help you make it the best default_satisfied.gif

Although I don't own Lego's version I've always thought from pictures that it's one of their better SW sets but I've never liked the clam shell effect created by their use of curved slopes at the top. Your SNOTted solution looks really good and as mentioned by others the sliding door is an excellent feature. Well done :thumbup:

You really did an excellent job on this RGS MOC 501st Commando, this one is very uniquely-built and highly-accurate too in terms of the proper smoothened surfaces. This is certainly one of the best RGS MOCs I've seen. :thumbup: I've planned on doing this type of SNOT build too before but the main reservation I had is the angling of the 'sloping surface assembly at the top' (the plane carrying the cockpits). I couldn't tell by your pics but is that assembly sturdily connected to the body? Or does it just rest on top of the slopes?

Looks much better shortened! :thumbup: Something about the way the angles line up on the front seems odd; can't quite place it.

Thanks! I agree, the transition doesn't sit well with me either. Someday I'll figure out a better solution.

It's a big improvement ( not to say that it wasn't good before , read my previous post ) , but to make it perfect you still need to work on the front a bit ....default_sceptic.gif Again , it's one of the best mocs I've ever seen , I just hope to help you make it the best default_satisfied.gif

Thanks! As I said above, I totally agree the nose doesn't work, and any ideas would be very much appreciated!

You really did an excellent job on this RGS MOC 501st Commando, this one is very uniquely-built and highly-accurate too in terms of the proper smoothened surfaces. This is certainly one of the best RGS MOCs I've seen. :thumbup: I've planned on doing this type of SNOT build too before but the main reservation I had is the angling of the 'sloping surface assembly at the top' (the plane carrying the cockpits). I couldn't tell by your pics but is that assembly sturdily connected to the body? Or does it just rest on top of the slopes?

Thanks! In the inner structure there is a hinge which holds to cockpit in place, and other hinges hold the curved slopes running down the side.

Thanks! I agree, the transition doesn't sit well with me either. Someday I'll figure out a better solution.

Thanks! As I said above, I totally agree the nose doesn't work, and any ideas would be very much appreciated!

I think part of the problem may be that the red surrounding the cockpit area is a bit "thin" and that the 'sloping surface assembly' is somewhat bulky. You may want to try partially SNOTing the sides (something similar to this) and bringing the cockpits closer to the nose, as seen here. :classic: Hope this helps.