Theme: City

Pieces: 831

Minifigures: 4

Year of Release: 2011

Price at Release: $159.99

LEGO SAH (USA)

TRU (USA)

Brickset

First I want to apologize for the quality of the photos. Hopefully there will be another, more in-depth review by another member of EB. This review is my first and is really just a general overview of this set, so mostly pics. Enjoy...

BOX

1.jpg

2.jpg

CONTENTS

I was disappointed in the condition the contents. Bent instructions, loose bricks that are normally in bags, but everything was there. I guess this was the first (crap) batch of this set.

3.jpg

INSTRUCTIONS

Since coming out of my dark ages I have extremely disliked the multi-instruction booklets. I wish they could go back to the One Set, One Booklet format...

4.jpg

PARTS

Seven labeled bags, the engine was the only part of the set split into two bags.

5.jpg

The set comes with one battery box but two battery covers, a red and a dark bluish gray.

5b.jpg

MINIFIGS

5a.jpg

ENGINE

The Engine is pretty large, I did not expect it to be about as big as the 7939 engine. No light capabilities, unless someone out there is extremely creative.

6.jpg

Sticker alongside the IR receiver.

8.jpg

Easy access to the on/off button.

9.jpg

Comparison to 7939.

10.jpg

Comparison to 4512 & 4564.

11.jpg

Didn't even attempt a Emerald Night & Maersk Train comparison, Big Red wouldn't stand a chance.

FLATBED WAGON & REPAIR VEHICLE

I'd rather a container car but this is unique I guess.

12.jpg

It seems to combine two 9V set into one car. (4546 & 4552)

13.jpg

13a.jpg

13b.jpg

13c.jpg

BALLAST "TIPPING" WAGON

14.jpg

Tipping contents into the depository.

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

HAZARDOUS GOODS WAGON

18.jpg

Uh Oh...

19.jpg

Nuclear Waste?

20.jpg

BALLAST LOADER & DEPOSITORY

I'm not at all sure what is the purpose of this track-side structure.

21.jpg

22.jpg

How does one load this thing?

23.jpg

24.jpg

No claw-crane?

25.jpg

Tilt the ballast loader to allow the train to pass underneath.

26.jpg

EXTRAS

27.jpg

CONCLUSION

Pieces: 8/10 - There are some different pieces on this set. There is a good amount of diversity and colors.

Minifigures: 5/10 - Nothing special, generic Train minifigs.

Build: 6/10 - Very basic, easy build, nothing ground breaking. Approximate build time: 45 minutes to a hour.

Price: 7/10 - Of Course I would like it cheaper but I am surprised at the price from a piece perspective. It has eight less pieces than 7939 but at $159.99 it's $20 cheaper. So based on that precedence it's not too bad.

Playability: 7/10 - There is some with the ballast wagon, flatbed car, and ballast loader.

Overall: 7/10 - I feel this set is a decent starter set for those who are looking for a start in LEGO trains. There is however much to be desired, like a transport truck, a better road to rail connection from the ballast loader, engine light capabilities, for example.

28.jpg

I hope I've helped those of you on the fence about this set come to a decision...

Take Care...

Edited by typo

Cheers for the review, typo.

I see a lot of positives in this set. Real curves plus flexi, very glad to see this as I was worried Lego might go to flex track only for curves which would be awful. You also get quite a nice long oval of track to play with in comparison with the other starter sets which makes up for the lack of points to a degree.

It's also got some cool pieces and personally I like all the new wagons. The loading gantry is nice too. How do you load it. Buy three sets and load it with the extra conveyor belts. :-)

Thanks for sharing.

:classic: :classic:

Nice review Typo.

I guess one needs to go out and buy the new harbor set to reload the conveyor with it's claw crane. :laugh:

I like the red engine with this set. This engine model is the one that comes to mind when I picture European cargo trains.

I like the comparsion pictures you did with the other trains Typo.

The yellow cargo train is the first I plan on buying out of these two still.

I like the green box car and it amuses me on the back of box that the minifigs are handling the hazardous waste by hand. :wacko:

The road rail truck is a nice match to the uni mog from the level crossing.

Overall I agree with AussieJimbo on this is a nice starter set.

Looks like your gonna have to change your class pic in your sig again Typo. :grin:

Wow, well the set is indeed decent, nothing special. But for me it seems it is. I get the feeling that Lego tries to go back to the golden ages of City with these new train sets. Also very good review, clear and I totally agree with the conclusion. I found it funny that they put (nuclear?) waste in the train since I believe that in Germany there were some protests about it, but I do not live there so I don't know the full story :wacko: Deffinettly getting this set :laugh::thumbup:

Thanks for the nice review!

While I think the inclusion of the green hazardous goods wagon is a bit odd, it's really a decent set and I guess I'll get it when I can get it at a nice discount (the next TRU 20% is bound to happen sometime^^); with the track maintanence features, it will fit in my future setup better than the yellow 7939 which I don't have.

Brickviller, yes, we got "some" protests about nuclear waste transports in Germany; guess I'd protest too if they'd use just some little barrels like in this set – the real "Castor" units are a bit bigger and a bit more secure...

Nice review, but I don't really like the set. The engine feels too long, would've looked better to me 2 or 4 studs shorter, and the cars all have this 'big brick plasticky feel'. The single piece conveyor belt is also a sad example of everything that LEGO should not be.

- Sok.

Edited by Sokratesz

Thanks 'Typo' for this review of a cool train set ! :drool::excited:

Okay, so I can't wait until TRU have them here....unless I can score one at a good import price ! :grin:

The engine is great with a cute control panel hiding behind a door.....very realistic ! :thumbup:

Down side.....yeah, the DSS....man, there are a lot of stickers to apply......but it needs them ! :blush:

I really like the flat bed and repair vehicle combo as this set appears to take ideas from the old 9V era and rehash them in 2011.....but it works ! :wink:

Brick On everyone ! :grin:

Great review, typo!

I will definitely be buying if only because I am still early in the train game so these kits are a great way to pick up cars and track.

Great review 'typo'. I like this set a lot. I have to agree about the odd "nuclear" transport wagon. It does seem a little out place for a rail maintenance train. The ballast loader seems to have to small of an opening for the material. Other than those issues, I say I can't wait to get one later this year or next default_classic.gif

Thanks for the review.

I really like this Train set, since I already own 7939 this is a great compliment. You get 3 new/different cars, a great shunter Loco, and a red battery box. Plus throw in all that track and PF and we have a winner. I am surprised at the piece count, higher than I expected which makes it even better. The Matience car reminds of the glory days of 9v, guess this is the glory days of PF as we have 5 Trains on the market right now!!! The ballast loader is great and matches the new Harbor set :wink: . As well as the Farm from 2009. The box car and ballast wagon are nice additions and will look good being pulled by my BNSF. :laugh:

4 minifigs is good, I like the selection, however no engineer but oh well I have Max already.

I rate this set as Outstanding.

Thanks for the early review Typo. I think it's a nice starter set for younger train fans. It's got some interesting components like the Flatbed Wagon with Repair Vehicle. I also like the boxcar which has a little more design than that of the last Green Cargo Train.

I've added a poll to this review and indexed. On a side note, the yellow Train Tech logo is used to show that the Review/Topic has been Indexed. As it has now been indexed, it's okay that you added it to your review.

I give it a solid "4".

EDIT: oh, I see the inclusion of the Haz Mat Minifigure for containing that soon to occur nuclear waste spill for added play (interesting choice of cargo). Also, it's time to get some new minifigs for cargo trains. There's only so many minifigs with orange/blue torsos needed for one's train yard.

I am very excited about this set. Although I liked the last cargo set, this one appeals to me a bit more. The locomotive has a more classic industrial switcher design to it unlike the previous set that had a more "passenger" styled locomotive. I am interested in the box car and maintenance car the most. The only other box car I had was from the Load n Haul set back from 1992 and the doors were always popping off, I have since converted it into a gondola car. Maintenance cars are rare in the Lego line and this one really catches the eyes. I am also glad to see a new car like the ballast car as we need a wider variety of train cars without building our own.

I was a bit skeptical of the PF system at first but have become quite comfortable with it. I hope that Lego continues to push more train sets and "special sets" as they have in this past year. The newer parts used in the Lego trains are far better than those made throughout the 90's and just a few years ago. Details have become much better as well as their operational abilities. I noticed in the review it said the set came in $20 cheaper than the previous so I am assuming we are talking $160? Regardless, I will have no problem shelling out for this set and look forward to more of these "industrial" themed sets. Thanks for the great review!!

The additional battery cover in bley is an unexpected surprise.

It's almost as if LEGO knows that us AFOLs are looking at this set as just a source of parts! :excited::laugh:

The additional battery cover in bley is an unexpected surprise.

As I understand it's cheaper to just add the standard PF kit (with the grey casing) and include an additional Red casing.

Instead of adding the red casing and taking the grey casing out.

In the end more parts to play with is better ;)

EDIT: oh, I see the inclusion of the Haz Mat Minifigure for containing that soon to occur nuclear waste spill for added play (interesting choice of cargo). Also, it's time to get some new minifigs for cargo trains. There's only so many minifigs with orange/blue torsos needed for one's train yard.

Where is that pictured?

CONTENTS

I was disappointed in the condition the contents. Bent instructions, loose bricks that are normally in bags, but everything was there. I guess this was the first (crap) batch of this set.

3.jpg

My Instructions where packaged like those of the Maersk Train, I ordered trough S@H:

2011-07-16%25252018.48.06.jpg

EDIT: Also my box lacks any mention of special edition whatsoever.

Edited by ZueriHB

My Instructions where packaged like those of the Maersk Train, I ordered trough S@H:

2011-07-16%25252018.48.06.jpg

EDIT: Also my box lacks any mention of special edition whatsoever.

Many thanks for the review. My favourite part is the unimog style road/rail vehicle. I've built one based off the photos. I had some trouble fitting the rail attachments (hinge) to the vehicle. In the end i used the same method as used in the level crossing set 7936. To bind the super structure to the base chassis a few 1x2 jumper bricks were used.

Looking forward to seeing how this was done by Lego.

IMG_1607.jpg

IMG_1608.jpg

IMG_1609.jpg

IMG_1610.jpg

Cheers

Aaron

Hm, why so few posts about this cool train?

Thanks for the review, man! And the comparison with some other Cargo trains!

I like this one, in my opinion it's better than the previous cargo train (the yellow one). It offers very good playability for kids... Not that many details for us AFOLs, but still a good train. I give it a 4 out of 5.

Yes, putting light on it looks like a very difficult task... Has anyone here done it already?

Hi All,

First time poster, long time reader. Great review of 3677 :thumbup: . FYI TRU.com has this set reduced to $129 then a buy one get on 1/2 half off. Just ordered 2 for $195 with free shipping :sweet:

Here's the link...

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11815467

Cheers

That's a great deal, especially for someone who's just getting into trains. Although I find this set abit more junior-ized compared to the 7939 cargo train.

Hm, why so few posts about this cool train?

Thanks for the review, man! And the comparison with some other Cargo trains!

I like this one, in my opinion it's better than the previous cargo train (the yellow one). It offers very good playability for kids... Not that many details for us AFOLs, but still a good train. I give it a 4 out of 5.

Yes, putting light on it looks like a very difficult task... Has anyone here done it already?

Agreed, and i kinda find it odd that Lego would have a red cargo and red passenger train available in 2012, along with the Maersk train, since the yellow cargo train and Emerald Night are apparently discontinued. I have 7939 on order from Amazon.fr, I like fact it has track switches, more realistic rolling stock, and a cargo crane.

I have a problem with a locomotive. When I made the train and put him on the track and turned on the motor. The train started and the locomotive began to sway strange. The rails were lying on a flat table. I took off the locomotive and turned on the engine itself.

It turned out that the black axes were straight, but one of the orange axes in which the black axes slips is uneven. Holes on both sides of the motor are uneven! The difference is minimal, 0.5-1 mm. This causes the motor driving the rocks, and with him the whole locomotive.

What to do, because I do not know how to fix it?

It turned out that the black axes were straight, but one of the orange axes in which the black axes slips is uneven. Holes on both sides of the motor are uneven! The difference is minimal, 0.5-1 mm. This causes the motor driving the rocks, and with him the whole locomotive.

What to do, because I do not know how to fix it?

If you think it is a manufacturing defect, just contact Lego customer service and they'll send you a new motor.

Good set, my kid likes it.

One serious flaw

- the conveyor falls over. It needs a substantial baseplate. One should have been included. My kid wants to play with the conveyor but it's useless until I buy a baseplate. Lame.

One nitpick

- the chassis of the boxcar is overbuilt, it's heavy and stronger than it needs to be. The equivalent red boxcar from cargo train deluxe is more lightly built and is strong enough. Not a big deal.