I added a motor to the HOG steering. I have since reused the steering m-motor in a GBC module.

unimog3.jpg

Not sure if its accurate to the real truck, but I rebuilt most of the rear axle to put in Sariel's 3 stud wide differential lock. I changed the mounting point for the towball after taking pictures as it was interfering with the gears

800x618.jpg

800x529.jpg

Now to figure out how to do this on the front axle

Edited by Rishab N

I probably should have looked it up before ordering it, but how make of those transmission setups does it come with? like, a setup being the 2 end gears, switch, and slidey thing in the middle? yes I know that sounds funny, I don't know the terminology and can't be bothered to look it up.

That Diff-lock mod is amazing, now, for the front axle it will be a very hard way to make it, but it looks good.

i have made some small improvements to my moded cabin, now it doesn't need any custom sticker to get an enough realistic grille:

640x381.jpg

I know it doesn't look as you may expected, but that is because LDD, and in real life the 2x2 tile is placed in an "ilegal" position, i will try to post the real life picture soon (the LXF file: http://bricksafe.com/files/imanol/unimog/cab-v3/unimog%20u400%208110%20cab%20v3%2009-01-16.lxf)

I have also started to make some "accesories", so far i have made an air conditioning, some roof mounted headlights and 2 (possibly train) horns, any suggestion to improve these accessories or to make other ones is well received:

640x381.jpg

LXF file: http://bricksafe.com/files/imanol/unimog/cab-v3/unimog%20u400%208110%20cab%20v3%2009-01-16%20accesories.lxf

Let me know what you think.

Hello again, after many time watching some Unimogs, specially the series of the U400 and U500, i realized that none of the previous Mod´s that i made weren't enough to match the real shape of the Unimog, and i decided to make a drastic change in that, so here is the current model rendered in Bluerender (special thanks to Gabi_BC for helping me to finally install it):

1280x960.jpg

The first improvement i made was in the axles, as i wasnt satisfied with the wheels turning pivot i made a new system which uses knob gears based in Didumos69´s knob wheel drive axle, which lets the pivot point to stay 2 studs closer to the wheel, this also required some extra reduction from the differential with a 12:20 relation (Because the previous 1:3 reduction was removed to improve the turning pivot), this also made the planetary gears to have half stud less of clearance under them, but it is not a big problem because the overall clearance was improved with the removing of the previous gears:

800x423.jpg

800x423.jpg

The final steering angle is about 30 degrees (After some testing, i found that the tires don´t collide with the chassis, even when compressed):

800x423.jpg

I also added an axle guidance in the front axle, i borrowed this idea from Efferman´s Unimog UHN, and it resulted to work pretty good:

800x423.jpg

A good thing is that i successfully kept the anti-roll bar system, it is the crossblocks connected to the connector with crossaxle:

800x423.jpg

About the cabin, i changed many things, the front was heavily modified to be similar as possible to the real Unimog front angles and shapes, the turning lights are bigger and more vertical, the cab also ends 1 stud lower and the hood is 1 stud bigger:

800x423.jpg

800x423.jpg

I also improved the locks, now they are easily accesible (I hide some parts to make the mechanism more visible, this part is actually much more reinforced):

800x423.jpg

The mudguards were improved too, instead of the curved liftarms, i used curved axle connectors, and because wheels displacement is less, the mudguards are very close to the tires but they don´t collide too much, but if they do, the have a flexible design which lets the tires to keep their way, this also let me put the ladder 2 studs forward:

800x423.jpg

The mudguards look a bit weird in LDD because they are not connected, but they do in real life, the other thing that has been one of the most important goals is to make all of this MOD´s with the cheapest parts as possible, i have changed all the 5L liftarms with 3L liftarms and 2L ones with axle hole, and like this many other improvements, other thing that you might see is that there are a few details which are not of the U400 but of the U500, like the lateral mounted lights and the roof small orange lights, i did this as the U500 sometimes has more cool details than a normal U400, but you are free to tell what do you think of this; so, the remaining functions and details needed are:

• Create a connection for the cabin and the chassis to enable tilting (Yes, i needed to remove the old mechanism and a improved one is required because of the new cabin design)
  • Create a new mechanism in the cargo bed to allow the walls to drop
  • Improve the rear mudguards
  • Add an axle guidance to the rear axle
  • Add a new exhaust pipe because the old one doesn't fit with the new cabin locks
  • Make new mounts for the headlights
  • Improve the rear part for better looking

I hope you like it; as always, any suggestion in welcome.

Edited by ImanolBB

2 minutes ago, JJ2 said:

Great MOD do you plan to build this?

Yes, i am planning to build it (Or at least that is what i hope :grin:), that is why i am doing my best to make it not too expensive, my main calculations are that all the parts to make this MOD from the standard version would cost about 350 to 400 Dollars,150-200$ in PF components (1 battery box, 1 IR receiver, 3 switches 4 L-motors and 2 XL-motors) and others 200$ in the remaining pieces, of course that this would be that expensive if you only have the 8110 and no extra pieces, but if you have many spare parts the cost can be drastically reduced.

That U500 looks amazing Pat, the double cab and the extended chassis are really great details, i also see that you kept the the round plate for the MB logo on the hood, i wasn´t sure if the U500 should have or not the logo, but looking at your model and that the logo would still look good i think i will keep it.

Thanks...

Wanna see some more? :)

Lego%20Unimog%20Familie%2022.jpg

Some pieces are missing...

Meanwhile I changed the round tile to a black one with a Mercedes logo...

What a beautiful collection, i wish that i could get a collection of that size in near future, they look really amazing, maybe you could try to make one of those futuristic Unimogs, or one of those old Mercedes Benz Trucks; i really love how all those vehicles look together.

Thanks...

No, those futuristic concepts are fugly...

The last MOCs were this:

Forstwagen%20final%2010.jpg

WF%20trac%20beta%2040.jpg

Oh, and here's a picture of the printed tile :)

U400%20Ausstellt%C3%BCr%2005.jpg

Oh God, those windshield cleaners, i knew there was something missing in my mog, all those those details are very awesome, they give a lot of inspiration.

Thanks for the help and the inspiration Pat, i will see if i can make some progress on my mog (And add those windshield cleaners)

15 hours ago, Pat-Ard said:

WF%20trac%20beta%2040.jpg

^^^ This thing, is there a thread for it or anything? It looks very interesting, i like it.

I have finished the windshield cleaners, they are very similar to Pat-ard´s ones and they add a little bit more of realism (despite they are only for display), thanks to Pat for the inspiration:

800x423.jpg

I have also made some small progress in the cabin tilting system, but it still needs a locking mechanism; and i find something great in YoutTube, it might give a little bit of inspiration for some builders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R53WpYOkeCY

On 9/26/2016 at 4:28 PM, Pat-Ard said:

Oh, and here's a picture of the printed tile :)

Can you please share how you attached the tile? Every solution I have tried in LDD is terrible :D

Does anybody have an idea for a dropping sides bed? i know there are very simple designs, but the main problem here is that the bed has the same width of the mudguards, and it is not possible to make the pivot points directly under the sides:

800x423.jpg800x423.jpg

I have made an small experiment that could work, it uses sides built in two parts to enable them to bend above the mudguard and this way they cab be of the same width without colliding when they are dropped; but it is a bit ugly (and with "a bit ugly" i mean very very ugly and not very realistic):

800x423.jpg800x423.jpg

So, if you have any better system or you know a way to make this one better, or at least to look not that bad, i would really appreciate it.

Edited by ImanolBB