I usually don't visit this topic because it crashes my computer with all the pictures but that's a really good crane arm and it seems like it would look great on the unimog.

I recently tried to rebuild the cab following ImanolBB's design and it seems impossible, for now. Too many 5L orange liftarms and other rare bits unfortunately until the Porsche is out.

therealjustion, it happened to me too, i almost die of a heart attack when i searched for the pieces in bricklink, i hope you get all the pieces to complete the cab, i also tried to make the modded cab too to check if all worked how is thought, some of the pieces arent of the same color, or even arent there because i dont have them, for me, the unimog now seems a bit closer to the original one:

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

i made some modifications to the chassis, the middle of it is now 2 studs wider to match the new mudguards and the wheels, this gives me the opportunity to put some "covers" for the BB´s (they should be black):

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

EDIT: Here are some more modifications:

I added 2 driving rings to the transmission, so i am able to lock both front and rear transmission separately, or unlock both and put the truck in "neutral", for manual movement (it is thought to work only with planetary gear rims, so the rings wont be under high load):

800x600.jpg

I also added stabilization bars to make the mog a bit more stable, this lets me put the shock absorbers a bit closer together and it let the tires steer more without colliding the absorbers, they have 2 main functions, maintain the whole axle aligned, because it doesn't use rods, the axle wont moves sideways, the other function, of course, is to give more stability to the truck (you can add the bar and remove the absorbers to see how it works), an optional function, is that you can lock the bar, to make the axle be completely horizontal:

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

And here is the LDD file of the chassis: http://bricksafe.com...is 05-19-16.lxf

Edited by ImanolBB

My Mod of white rail road Unimog fully motorized with two Sbriks and 9 motor and battery

1a80f27f-dace-4a74-911f-9383bba63b81.jpg

19692bd5-ed88-4529-9504-12680af3b451.jpg

2c74c2ff-481b-4860-b41d-6629bba432f3.jpg5f56e649-4f13-488b-a0bb-8b952d7ea435.jpg

Edited by GBryan22

thank you :sweet:

it is not over yet I blocked by lack of space on the Unimog , the lack of air compressor and two motorized valvle :sceptic: :sceptic:

It looks really good, it is very sad that there are not Lego tires that could look just like the railroad unimogs, the motorcycle tires are enough narrow, but the rims are too big, however, it is still a really good mod, i can also spot some really nice modifications that match perfectly the real thing, i would like to see more pics of the mog once finished (or maybe even a video) :thumbup:

It looks really good, it is very sad that there are not Lego tires that could look just like the railroad unimogs, the motorcycle tires are enough narrow, but the rims are too big, however, it is still a really good mod, i can also spot some really nice modifications that match perfectly the real thing, i would like to see more pics of the mog once finished (or maybe even a video) :thumbup:

Yes , you're right lego the tires are not suitable for the railway. Thank you for this return, I try somehow to reproduce the original Unimog .

Pictures are coming, when I finish and then the video will come . :wink:

I have been working a little bit in the cab of my mog, and after watching more pics of the real one, i found that the grille hadn't enough inclination, and the curved shape that it has cant be perfectly made with tiles, so my solution so far is using curved parts and a sticker to add enough inclination and shape to the grille:

640x473.jpg

I have also improved the steering system inside the cab, because i found that the previous version which used a worm gear had a lot of friction:

640x473.jpg

Feel free to tell my what do you think about these modifications and what else i can do for it.

Some more modifications to the cab, this time, i tried to make the interior much more similar to the real u400 cab, the 2 copilots seats are close together, which lets me put some kind of controls for the pilot:

640x473.jpg

640x473.jpg

Edited by ImanolBB

Here are my advanced Unimog . Both valves and compressor are installed :classic:

It remains for me the details to the left side and found some parts and it is ready for video :wink:

Some pictures :

0bf90f1a-0b85-4d94-a853-65684e6e8774.jpg

b3167d75-d48d-48e3-9f6b-36f6e38ed138.jpg

f71051d8-23e2-4c1c-bdec-2ad96cfd6497.jpg

9c218f2b-5637-485c-8bb5-0f0b0a483573.jpg

efbd19dc-b4d1-4d1f-8520-3155d226b019.jpg

e4a5f2fb-1177-498c-8008-efc75b00acc9.jpg

If you have questions not hesitated :sweet:

It looks really good, i cant wait to see it in action, i am very impressed by the quantity of wires, motors, cylinders and hoses, it looks very functional; also, my cab is (i hope) finished: https://rebrickable...._moc?s=MOC-5189 if the link doesn't work is because it is not approved yet.

EDIT: here is the gallery in bricksafe: http://bricksafe.com...l/unimog/cab-v3

Edited by ImanolBB

My Unimog has been a parts donor for too long and it's been sitting on my shelf. So I decided to rebuild it. Are there any necessary modifications that you guys would recommend? Also has anyone found a way to motorize steering with an M motor? I know there's an easy way with a servo but I think they're a bit expensive

well, I've finally saved up enough money to get one of these things, and I wasn't planning on building it as I mainly want it for pieces, but I figured if it's relatively easy to make if RC, I might build it. however as a human being, I have a limited lifespan, and don't have the time to read through this whole thread, so I'll just ask. how hard is it just to do a basic steering and drive mod? with maybe 1 or 2 XL motors for drive and probably an L for steering. I only have one reciever so functionality is somewhat limited sadly :sceptic:

btw I haven't looked at this topic in a while, and it just amazes me that even after HALF A DECADE, there are still people cranking out these interesting and beautiful mods and rebuilds and everything else! to everyone so dedicated to this model, give yourself a pat on the back! :thumbup:

My Unimog has been a parts donor for too long and it's been sitting on my shelf. So I decided to rebuild it. Are there any necessary modifications that you guys would recommend? Also has anyone found a way to motorize steering with an M motor? I know there's an easy way with a servo but I think they're a bit expensive

Nicjasno's front axle.

Edit: crazy youtube link removed.

Edited by thomol

...however as a human being, I have a limited lifespan, and don't have the time to read through this whole thread...

It only took me one sleepless night!

Nicjasno's front axle,

, building instructions in the description.

Ok then...

Edited by Technic Jim

Hm, sorry for that, I have no idea what happened when I put the link to the youtube clip of that excellent front axle.

I don't dare to make another try, so you just have to search for it instead; I know it's discussed in this thread.

Back to lurking...

Hey MRP, for a basic motorized drive and steering for the unimog, i think this video is really helpful:

By the way, has anyone ever made a rear steering mod for the mog?

Alsom GBryan, the mog looks pretty good, i would love to see a video of it in action.

Edited by ImanolBB

thanks! I might just build the chassis and skip the bodywork, cause I'm still not 100% sure, but I'll try all wheel steering as well!

That is really good, let me know if you make any progress on it, and also, another question, what would you think about putting the Tatra´s suspension system with portal hubs on the mog?, i made some small experiments in LDD, but seems that it might work, i will post some pics soon.

Here's my version of RC steering. Not sure how it will work as I have the chassis disassembled. It looks a bit bulky but seems like it should work alright800x843.jpg

Edited by Rishab N