Most of the enhancements I made to my copy of the 8110 are not very original or particularly elegant, but I wanted to share them here anyway.

First of all I redid the front axle/steering setup as per Darjan Platinovsek's design. The steering is still very tough but at least it handles obstacles much better than with the original axle configuration. Thanks Darjan!

DSCF5721.JPG

Secondly I converted the grabber from 42006 to pneumatics and transplanted it onto the Mog.

It does not have much power but in my opinion looks much better and it a lot of fun to play with.

DSCF5733.JPG

The battery was moved to the bed, to make room for a DIY airtank.

DSCF5723.JPG

I acquired proper Lego airtanks meanwhile but this old acetone bottle worked just as well.

DSCF5727.JPG

RC conversion is made in a modular way. The inline engine was modified to be easily removable and replaced by an L-motor.

DSCF5729.JPG

RC Steering is also easy to place and remove, only real problem is that there is no clutch gear in this setup, neccessitating a light touch on the remote control.

These modifications for RC required moving quite a few pins in the frame so if you are looking for an easy to implement RC-job this is not the one.

The reward is worth it though, the Mog can be RC-d in under a minute and vice versa.

DSCF5732.JPG

The locking mechanism for the cabine has been replaced with this setup using two axles 8. It's not the prettiest solution for this problem I've seen on these forums but I wanted something that can be operated while a 1,5 year old boy is hanging from my arms screaming to see the "auto" drive around by magic hahaha.

Happy bricking!

Hi

I'm new here, new to Lego too, didn't even know about techinc until3m ago... And then I bought 8110 and everything changed...

Finally my parts box arrived (9398) :look: and got round to trying to motorise. Haven't read ALL 62 pages, so forgive me if it's repeated

Was suprised how easily servo motor slotted in to chassis, ZERO mods needed, it's like it was designed for it! I see some people have placed theres over front axle, I slotted in in just in front of rear axle and sterring works very well.

post-100709-0-55591000-1383416323_thumb.jpg

To drive it I fitted 2 L motors into battery box recess, needed a few rebuilds to re-inforce the gears enough (hey, zero technic experience before this, so it was a learnign curve) but drives it well.

First tried to run an 8 tooth gear onto centre diffs large toothed ring, but kept skipping if going got tough, so settles for a 16 tooth onto the smaller tooth section at the front of the diff. Was hoping to not have to change the gearing in the portal hubs, and speed was fine with the 8 tooth, apart from the skipping. :wacko: with 16 tooth installed at the diff, had to gear down the hubs...

post-100709-0-63607200-1383416324_thumb.jpg

Great seeing what everyone is doing!

I will have to get a servo motor sometime and install it. Anybody have a price as to how much it cost them to fully r/c their unimog?

well, If you will buy all your parts from S@H, it would cost already $50-$75 for the L/XL motor, Servo, receiver and remote..

But to go on a cheaper route, you can buy a used 9398 and you get all the extra parts for your MOCS

I have to introduce me as well her as I am new to this forum, and new to the Lego world as I have not tought lego in the last 25+ years. I have ordered the 8110 box to start hopefully in a fue day from now. I must have some old lego but that is not workingvery well any more due to old and not strong anymore. I am wondering why no knowboddie has build a three point linkage behind and up front on the MOG? to attach all machines to it like in the agri world?

Hey folks!

I have built a rear steering trailer with one steered axle for long wood or pipes. At the moment the steering is realized by a servo motor similar to the stone trailer truck from Designer-Han. The whole MOC is still work in progress.

The transportation device is mounted on a scissor construction and the height can be changed by a mini LA to make it suitable for the Unimog in the case that the springs are compressed. I will try to replace the mini LA by a standard LA. The transportation device just falls down into the lowest position when there is some load on it. The connection bar between the Unimog and the trailer is just not mounted on the pictures.

8tibnxyg26k6.jpg

ls6tf1d6sn6n.jpg

h9voryppiacx.jpg

kqwe67topnpr.jpg

The steering angle with just one steered axle is very small and I'm not very satisfied with this solution. Therefore I searched for an alternative steering method by using the turntable of the trailer. The turntable measures the position of the trailer in relation to the position of the Unimog and transfers this difference directly on both axles of the trailer. The next step is to combine my existing trailer with this steering method. I hope it works...

bxoepppnanxg.jpg

k432poho3ilo.jpg

j9lsgwwue2lv.jpg

As you can see on the pictures I used a gear combination of 12-12. To get this steering angle in the final model the turntable has to turn more then would be possible. Therefore I will try to play a little bit with the gear ratios to get a reasonable steering angle for both axles although the turntable turns not very much. I think a gear combination of 20-12 or 24-8 should work fine.

Unfortunately in the current setup the steering doesn't work 100% accurate. The problem of this steering method is the use of different gears and that there are no gears with an uneven number of teeth existing. My only idea how to solve this is the use of a 24-24 gear combination which compensates this lack of accuracy because the same 24 tooth gear is used inside the turntable. Any ideas how to handle this?

Edited by stefan_betula_pendula

can someone post a pic the mod to the steering to make it easier ? also has anyone got any tips to make this full RC ?

can someone post a pic the mod to the steering to make it easier ? also has anyone got any tips to make this full RC ?

The search button will find results for you. There have been many many posts regarding both steering and rc'ing the unimog.

So many good ideas here. Another two axle trailer straight in the design of the Unimog. Added also an ldraw file, run lsynth to complete the hoses and LED-cable.

post-101656-0-27062500-1383859843_thumb.jpg

post-101656-0-38713600-1383859870_thumb.jpg

Trailer.zip

@Markus53: nice trailer and thanks for sharing the instructions... do you have a ldd file too?

Edited by Pat-Ard

@markus53: Thank you very much for the ldraw file. I really appreciate if technic freaks sharee their instructions, I myself know that it needs lot of time and patience to create instructions.

Best greetings

Alex

Hi Pat-Ard, i tried to convert it into ldd quickly, but only half of the bricks were placed. Maybe anyone can do it better than me... sorry.

I don't know if this has been done before but how about a lowrider Unimog?

bagged-mog2.jpg

I got the idea from flipping the portal axles over, the rest of the build is almost stock. Here it is at ride height:

ride-height.jpg

I had to move up the cab and bed two units to make room for the cylinders. A cylinder on each end acts on angle arms to move the short shocks into position.

front-up.jpg

The pump raises the truck, gravity brings it back down!

front-down.jpg

The rear end is built the same way. Here is front down "California Rake":

cal-rake.jpg

Rear down "Taildragger":

tail-drag.jpg

And almost laying frame, "Pancaked":

pancaked.jpg

You can slide a piece of paper under it when it is this low but it won't roll as the wheels are resting on the fenders,

ok,

erix

Sure thing! Hope these work as I tore it all apart last night...

Here's the flipped portal axle and short shcok in the rear:

flipped_portal-2.jpg

Here's a top view with the ram extended.

rear-raised.jpg

And here's the top view in the lowered position:

rear-lowered.jpg

And lastly,.here's the front end up close:

flipped_portal.jpg

ok,

erix