Sign in to follow this  
Bellicose

7897 - parts or complete set?

I've really liked the shape of 7897 (R/C High-speed train) for some time now, and I've wanted to get it. I've read some not-so-great things about the R/C system, and I've seen some cheaper sets that were incomplete parts only, and that's definitely better than paying a ridiculous amount for some MISB set from a reseller. So I'm wondering - how easy would it be to simply adapt the current train and power functions parts to make it work if I get something incomplete/broken? And what functionality will I lose - obviously the horn, but the lights too?

Thanks.

Edited by Bellicose

If you compare RC to PF trains, the difference in functionality is only the horn (if you add the PF lights to your train).

PF has (in my opinion) a huge advantage on RC though; the ability to control up to 8 trains with one controller.

I have recreated this set from Bricklink parts and using PF. It is almost similar to the current 7938 passenger train. I would download the instructions to see the parts your will need.

Except for the front car, they all use the readily available white train chassis 6x24. This is the same that the 7938 uses.

The 1st car uses the white train chassis 6x30 with integrated battery (6xAA) and RF controller. As there is no plain 6x30 train chassis, you will need to work around the 6x24 or 6x28 standard train chassis and add the PF components to motorize it.

There are several Bricklink sellers that you can buy the sloping front of the train.