legodac

MOC: The Water Tower

The Water Tower was designed on the original LegoDigital Designer. Inspiration came from a train website and I used severalpictures of actual Water Towers as my guide to building.

LDDScreenShot1.png

There is something somewhat interesting though, when Ifirst designed the tower on LDD, I had to come up with a way to make squarebricks look round in the end.

afterwatertower006.jpg

I think I pulled it off nicely, however, when Iordered the bricks from Lego, I soon discovered that LDD had fooled me intothinking that this would be possible.

NewWaterTowerpic001.jpg

Construction as per the LDD was impossible. The greyjointed bricks I used for the interior bent on LDD to a certain angle thatwasn’t consistent with the actual bend the real brick were capable of.

NewWaterTowerpic005.jpg

NewWaterTowerpic010.jpg

No, problem, I reduced the circumference by a few bricksand was still able to build the model, and I got a few left over bricks.

NewWaterTowerpic011.jpg

You can see this difference when you look at thescreen shot from LDD and then compare the view with the finished model.

CopyofLDDScreenShot1.png

There is also something else I would like to shareabout LDD. I really did love the original program and wish I still had it, forwhen I tried to download the new version, I found that my laptop graphics cardwouldn’t handle the download. What a drag, and now I can’t get the old LDDback. To bad, I have a lot of designs still saved in the old version.

NewWaterTowerpic011.jpg

On an up note though, I did order 3 of the kits and 2are still in the boxes. I also have an extra train shed and a Pony Truss too.

TrainYard2andthen001.jpg

I would also like to apologize for the dirty conditionof some of the pictures, cleaning a Lego Train set of this size is a very longwinded process. I used to clean every other week, it would take about 6 hrs.every time.

TrainYard011.jpg

My ultimate goal is to tear everything down, then boxthe whole thing in with wood framed glass doors for every section, now thatwould look cool eh?

desktop007-1-1.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this as much as I enjoy all ofyours

Edited by legodac

There is also something else I would like to shareabout LDD. I really did love the original program and wish I still had it, forwhen I tried to download the new version, I found that my laptop graphics cardwouldn’t handle the download. What a drag, and now I can’t get the old LDDback. To bad, I have a lot of designs still saved in the old version.

I've PM'd you.

Cheers

Rog

Excellent water tower 'legodac', though is it high enough....looks a little low ? :wink:

I look forward to your next creation......Brick On ! :grin:

You guys are cool, thanks for posting, and yes Mr. LighteningTiger, you are correct, The spout is to low, thanks rriggs I returned the mail you sent, I would love to have the old LDD back again.

Btw, this is next...

LEGOTRAIN005.jpg

Edited by legodac

Very nice design Legodac. I'm a huge fan of Wild West trains and old-fashion water towers. You've pulled off a nice look despite the challenge of having to create the round design. I like the colors you selected reminding me of Playmobil's Western Water Tower:

4567524218_b3e484bfd5_z.jpg at least the top.

I am curious why you made it short. Was it the height of your LEGO trains?

In any case, you've got an awesome layout with some really nice components like this water tower. Oh, the use of the round 1x1 plates work well for the water level. Love it! :thumbup:

wonderful creation! I can only add that I cannot find the link to your ldd file to steal... oops, I mean take some inspiration to make a similar one!

have a nice train lego day

mrBlue

I know what you mean, I can't get the new LDD on my laptop and I've been trying all day to restore the old version, to no avail.

I have been given the addresses to download both 3.1 and 2.4, and I even found the original install from when I first had it.

It always installs, but then it just doesn't show up at all. To bad to, I have literally dozens of designs stored in a folder on my computer that I can't even open.

If anyone has the old LDD on their PC, I would love to here about it, at least then I would know that LDD is no longer an option for me, oh well.

I love it except for the actual piping/spout. It looks too wide; perhaps it should be one stud wide or made from Technic bits.

Edited by gotoAndLego