Sign in to follow this  
TalonCard

Theme and set stories from boxes, catalogs, magazines...

Hi all! I can't say how pleased I was to find this site! I grew up with LEGO Pirates, so this is fantastic!

I'm working on a series of fan fiction stories based on the characters and sets from the LEGO Pirate line. Sort of the "rise and fall" of the Pirate line. I've got a copy of the old comic (a childhood favorite!), the 1995 and 1996 Mania Magazine pirate issues and one of the Ladybird books (which I didn't even know existed until a few years ago!) for background information, but I also remember that the set boxes used to have interesting little stories printed on them: "The settlers had their serenity interrupted by the LEGO Pirates of the Sea!" etc, etc. Sadly, only a few of mine have survived, and I didn't get many of the big sets back in the day.

So, I was wondering if anyone here had some intact boxes, and was willing to post the text from them. I'm also interested in any information from old catalogs and Mania Magazines. I know the 1994 Pirate issue featured Islanders, and the Admiral Woodhouse character was never (so far as I know) introduced in the U.S. (he was just Governor Broadside in a new outfit) so I'd love to hear more about that character. I know that there was a two-part series of comics produced as an ad for Disney Adventures around 1993 also. I'd be really grateful if anyone could help me out here, and I be willing to share, I be. ;) I'll post what information I have upon request! :)

Looking forward to participating in many Pirate discussions!

TC

Hi all! I can't say how pleased I was to find this site! I grew up with LEGO Pirates, so this is fantastic!

Welcome Mr TalonCard! You've come to the right place!

The 1995 and 1996 Mania Magazine pirate issues and one of the Ladybird books (which I didn't even know existed until a few years ago!) for background information

What are the Mania Magazines?

but I also remember that the set boxes used to have interesting little stories printed on them: "The settlers had their serenity interrupted by the LEGO Pirates of the Sea!" etc, etc. Sadly, only a few of mine have survived, and I didn't get many of the big sets back in the day.

I've seen these stories too in eBay pictures of LEGO boxes, so I've asked the seller what it says but most of them can't be bothered writing it or have no idea what I'm referring to.

So, I was wondering if anyone here had some intact boxes, and was willing to post the text from them. I'm also interested in any information from old catalogs and Mania Magazines.

I've got a few intact boxes but the only one with a story on it is Pirates Perilous Pitfall. I'm assuming the stories were on printed on the boxes sold in select countries because all my other big boxes are storyless.

I know the 1994 Pirate issue featured Islanders, and the Admiral Woodhouse character was never (so far as I know) introduced in the U.S. (he was just Governor Broadside in a new outfit)

This is news to me! I've got the Australia 1994 catalogue however and he's known as Woodhouse in that.

so I'd love to hear more about that character. I know that there was a two-part series of comics produced as an ad for Disney Adventures around 1993 also. I'd be really grateful if anyone could help me out here, and I be willing to share, I be. ;) I'll post what information I have upon request! :)

This is good! If you seen The Great Library of Honduras sub-forum you'll notice it has sub-forums for catalogue and box scans. One day I hope to fill those forum with everyone different pirate catalogue page and box panel from every different country.

Looking forward to participating in many Pirate discussions!

TC

Welcome aboard laddie!

Thanks for the warm welcome! It seems that some background information is in order!

The Mania Magazines are what I looked forward to every two months for years. :) It was part of a LEGO club one could join in the US and Canada. They had comics, little biographies for the minifigures, some pretty pathetic MOCs and alternate models...I loved it. :-) They've since been replaced by the Brick Master magazines. I remember that there was a similar magazine before the Mania Mag, so there may be some pirate information to be had there as well.

So what does Pirates Perilous Pitfall have to say? :)

And how about those Lady Bird books? I've got Will and the Gold Chase. They seem to follow the storyline of the comic, but with more detail. There's a map in the back of the book with some great information! The islands in the Tropical Sea are given names! Sabatina is where Port Royal and the Eldorado Fortress (Fort Sabre) are located, as well as a port called Fenzance (which was a name given to the Imperial Trading Post in some country or other, am I right?) There's also a picture that had me fascinated: a huge Man 'o War called the Ironram--Broadside's ship! I can only imagine what that would be like as a real LEGO set...

There's also an interesting early reference to islanders...

TC

The Mania Magazines are what I looked forward to every two months for years. :) It was part of a LEGO club one could join in the US and Canada. They had comics, little biographies for the minifigures, some pretty pathetic MOCs and alternate models...I loved it. :-) They've since been replaced by the Brick Master magazines. I remember that there was a similar magazine before the Mania Mag, so there may be some pirate information to be had there as well.

By all means scan any pirate pages and post them here! It would be good for building up the information resource.

So what does Pirates Perilous Pitfall have to say? :)

Captain Redbeard and his renegade Pirates want to get their hands on the Imperial gold. With building sets from the LEGO SYSTEM

Welcome Taloncard

The ladybooks mainly carried on the main theme of Governor Broadside and the soldiers Vs Captain Redbeard, which was the main theme in the comic. I once had 'Captain Reardbeard's (captain roger?) Birthday' and 'The Royal vist'. It would be great if you could get a few scans of your sets!

Since we are talking about the story thought that there seems a be a lack of consistant characterization between the comics (Daft thing to say about a childrens Set of books and comics, which are primarily there to sell more toys!). The differences being in the Lego pirates sets portray Redbeard as a go getting Scourge of the caribbean whilst in the Books he is a bit of an oaf. The same can be said of Broadside, he's proactive in the toy theme going so far as to take personal command of the clipper. In the books he's more likely to be found stuffing his face.

*phew* Bit of a monologue there!

I do remember wning a large Lego space A4 Size Book at one stage, Might there be a posibility of a pirates one?

And how about those Lady Bird books? I've got Will and the Gold Chase. They seem to follow the storyline of the comic, but with more detail. There's a map in the back of the book with some great information! The islands in the Tropical Sea are given names! Sabatina is where Port Royal and the Eldorado Fortress (Fort Sabre) are located, as well as a port called Fenzance (which was a name given to the Imperial Trading Post in some country or other, am I right?) There's also a picture that had me fascinated: a huge Man 'o War called the Ironram--Broadside's ship! I can only imagine what that would be like as a real LEGO set...

There's also an interesting early reference to islanders...

TC

This intrigues me, can you scan this map and this picture of the Ironram? I would like to try and build it or see someone else do so.... if i see any stories I will let you know... just read my SES box, it says:

"The Pirates, led by Captain Redbeard, are a powerful force of renegades. No Imperial treasure is safe when these seafaring mates are around. Their sailing ships are as fast as anything in the Imperial Fleet. Their island outposts are fortified and well hidden. whether on sea or land they are a strong adversary for Govenor Broadside.

The Pirate adventure really begins with you, the LEGO maniac. Using your imagination and the building sets from the LEGO SYSTEM Pirate collection you can create your own exciting high seas adventures. Who will control the enormous royal treasure , thepirats or the imperial guards? Onlyy you can decide because... you're in control of the action... your in charge of the fun... youre the lego maniac!

then it is in french so i mgiht have a canadian box, i am not sure. i bought it on EBAY a long time ago

Ska and Phes, thanks for sharing the box text. For comparison, here's what I found on my Lagoon Lock-Up box:

The Adventures of the LEGO Pirates of the Sea

Lagoon Lock-Up

During the 18th century, a peaceful colony of settlers enjoying the island treasures they discovered, suddenly had their serenity interrupted. The invaders were those who called themselves the LEGO Pirates of the Sea! For years, the Pirates had been searching for the same buried treasures that the settlers were now claiming as their own. This, of course, disturbed the Pirates, as they knew the doubloons (Spanish gold coins) the settlers found had belonged to their ancestors.

Gold seeking pirates had become such a problem for Governor Broadside and the other settlers that they were forced to strengthen many of their existing settlements. One such fortification was the Lagoon Lock-Up. Prior to the invading Pirates, this peaceful establishment was an inn of sorts for the settlers to grab a bite to eat and relax. It has now been fortified to protect the lagoon and to hold captured Pirates for questioning.

Governor Broadside is determined to protect the gold which he and the settlers have hidden at the Eldorado Fortress and Sabre [sic] Island. The Pirates, however, have their own plans for the gold and they don't include sharing it with the settlers!

Use your imagination to continue the adventures of the LEGO Pirates of the Sea!

Later, the American boxes began having all their text printed in English, Spanish, and French, and so the stories got shorter and shorter as time went on, and eventually vanished altogether. :(

Well, looks like I've got some scanning to do in the next couple of weeks! In the meantime, here's some images from BrickLink of the magazines I was referring to:

Islander Mag (first issue!) http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?B=mn1994win

Pirate Mag '95: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?B=mn1995sep

Pirate Mag '96: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?B=mn1996mar

I love the Adequate review site, but unfortunately the stories are written by the reviewers--they're not from the boxes. The Adventurers ones are my favorites, though. :)

What can you tell me about Escape from Shark Island, Phes?

The Ironram seems to be more than the Caribbean Clipper on steroids--it's pretty massive. And, for some odd reason, it's got the number "9" on the back...

The Islanders reference is on the page with Jimbo and Will in the rowboat: "...that's Old Binnacle's boat. He doesn't come to Port Royal. He sells his fish to the islanders."

Commodore: I also noticed the somewhat tame nature of the characters in the books/comics vs. the set descriptions. I'd like to try and reconcile some of these issues in my story. It's true Broadside is a glutton, but when there's treasure to be had, he's ready to take command of the flagship himself. All the descriptions also point to him attempting to maintain law and order in the islands, so he's not really a despot; just a bit ruthless. I see Red Beard (or Roger, if you like) as being pretty unstable, which allows him to be alternately murderous and oafish depending on the situation. This would also make him a pretty feared pirate.

Do you still have the pirate books, or are they long gone?

TC

Ska and Phes, thanks for sharing the box text. For comparison, here's what I found on my Lagoon Lock-Up box:

The Adventures of the LEGO Pirates of the Sea

Lagoon Lock-Up

During the 18th century, a peaceful colony of settlers enjoying the island treasures they discovered, suddenly had their serenity interrupted. The invaders were those who called themselves the LEGO Pirates of the Sea! For years, the Pirates had been searching for the same buried treasures that the settlers were now claiming as their own. This, of course, disturbed the Pirates, as they knew the doubloons (Spanish gold coins) the settlers found had belonged to their ancestors.

Gold seeking pirates had become such a problem for Governor Broadside and the other settlers that they were forced to strengthen many of their existing settlements. One such fortification was the Lagoon Lock-Up. Prior to the invading Pirates, this peaceful establishment was an inn of sorts for the settlers to grab a bite to eat and relax. It has now been fortified to protect the lagoon and to hold captured Pirates for questioning.

Governor Broadside is determined to protect the gold which he and the settlers have hidden at the Eldorado Fortress and Sabre [sic] Island. The Pirates, however, have their own plans for the gold and they don't include sharing it with the settlers!

Use your imagination to continue the adventures of the LEGO Pirates of the Sea!

Later, the American boxes began having all their text printed in English, Spanish, and French, and so the stories got shorter and shorter as time went on, and eventually vanished altogether. :(

Well, looks like I've got some scanning to do in the next couple of weeks! In the meantime, here's some images from BrickLink of the magazines I was referring to:

Islander Mag (first issue!) http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?B=mn1994win

Pirate Mag '95: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?B=mn1995sep

Pirate Mag '96: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?B=mn1996mar

I love the Adequate review site, but unfortunately the stories are written by the reviewers--they're not from the boxes. The Adventurers ones are my favorites, though. :)

What can you tell me about Escape from Shark Island, Phes?

The Ironram seems to be more than the Caribbean Clipper on steroids--it's pretty massive. And, for some odd reason, it's got the number "9" on the back...

The Islanders reference is on the page with Jimbo and Will in the rowboat: "...that's Old Binnacle's boat. He doesn't come to Port Royal. He sells his fish to the islanders."

Commodore: I also noticed the somewhat tame nature of the characters in the books/comics vs. the set descriptions. I'd like to try and reconcile some of these issues in my story. It's true Broadside is a glutton, but when there's treasure to be had, he's ready to take command of the flagship himself. All the descriptions also point to him attempting to maintain law and order in the islands, so he's not really a despot; just a bit ruthless. I see Red Beard (or Roger, if you like) as being pretty unstable, which allows him to be alternately murderous and oafish depending on the situation. This would also make him a pretty feared pirate.

Do you still have the pirate books, or are they long gone?

TC

cool

cant wait to see a scan of that map and the ironram... sounds interesting....

I never even noticed there were stories until this post, thats pretty sweet. wish i had more pirate boxes, i think i have a RBR at home still in box, maybe i will check if there is a story there.

When I was a kid, I never really paid any attention to the storyline, to tell the truth, I never really knew there was on. I was always to excited to open up the box and play! The fact that there was a story is pretty neat, and the fact that it isn't as bad as the KK story makes pirates even better. Take that castle!

When I was a kid, I never really paid any attention to the storyline, to tell the truth, I never really knew there was on. I was always to excited to open up the box and play! The fact that there was a story is pretty neat, and the fact that it isn't as bad as the KK story makes pirates even better. Take that castle!

Yeah; I don't know why I liked the story element so much as a kid, but I did. There was something about being able to indentify Red Beard as Red Beard and not "the pirate captian", and that the ships actually had names. For some reason I didn't really give names to characters if they didn't already have them. We had the Playmobil pirate sets also, but the ship was always "the playmobil pirate ship" and we had "the lady pirate" and "the pirate with the hook" and "the cabin boy"...I was such a strange child... :-D

I grew up with Captain Roger... Captain Redbeard is Americian thing...

True. It made even less sense when they changed the name for the comic, since he's not drawn with a beard at all! *wacko* Fortunately, these names aren't mutually exclusive: obviously Red Beard isn't his real name. So just as Blackbeard was really Edward Teach (or Thatch) Red Beard is really Roger.

There is still the Darkshark vs. Black Seas Barracuda issue, though...

TC

I'm assuming the stories were on printed on the boxes sold in select countries because all my other big boxes are storyless.

I think the US sets had stories, while the European/Australian didn't. I've got two Imperial Flagships with boxes, one of which doesn't have a story and has shooting cannons (European) and one with a story and non-shooting cannons (probably US). I'll post the story from the box later when I go back home where the box is.

Sabatina is where Port Royal and the Eldorado Fortress (Fort Sabre) are located, as well as a port called Fenzance (which was a name given to the Imperial Trading Post in some country or other, am I right?)

The name Fenzance appeared in Polish catalogues as well, I already mentioned it in the What's in the name... thread.

I grew up with captain Roger too, I haven't heard the name Redbeard until when I started looking for Lego Pirate stuff on the internet.

Thanks, Dreamweb! I'm basing the first story heavily on information I barely remember from the Flagship box--it'll be nice to see if it actually says what I remember it said back in '93.

TC

OK, so here's the story from the Imperial Flagship's box (note that the first and last paragraphs are the same as in Lagoon Lock-up so I just copied them from your earlier post):

During the 18th century, a peaceful colony of settlers enjoying the island treasures they discovered, suddenly had their serenity interrupted. The invaders were those who called themselves the LEGO SYSTEM Pirates of the Sea! For years, the Pirates had been searching for the same buried treasures that the settlers were now claiming as their own. This, of course, disturbed the Pirates, as they knew the doubloons (Spanish gold coins) the settlers found had belonged to their ancestors.

Many years ago, a wealthy king summoned the best shipbuilders to design and build what is known as the Imperial Flagship. He called to duty the finest Soldiers to guide his ship on a journey across miles of ocean. Their mission was to retrieve millions of dollars worth of treasure he had hidden on a deserted island. The Soldiers, thinking this an easy task, were not prepared for what was ahead of them. Spotting the royal ship leaving the deserted island, the Pirates knew instantly what the Soldiers were carrying aboard the ship. Will the Soldiers be able to protect the king's royal treasure from the Pirates?

Use your imagination to continue the adventures of the LEGO SYSTEM Pirates of the Sea!

And BTW aren't those dollars a bit out of place here? ;-)

And BTW aren't those dollars a bit out of place here? ;-)

Maybe not. I found this on Wikipedia:

The name "Spanish dollar" was used for a Spanish coin, the peso, worth eight reals (hence the nickname "pieces of eight"), which was widely circulated during the 18th century in the Spanish colonies in the New World. The use of the Spanish dollar and the Maria Theresa thaler as legal tender for the early United States are the reasons for the name of the nation's currency. However, the word dollar was in use in the English language as slang or mis-pronunciation for the thaler for about 200 years before the American Revolution, with many quotes in the plays of Shakespeare referring to dollars as money. Spanish dollars were in circulation in the Thirteen Colonies that became the United States, and were legal tender in Virginia.

Coins known as dollars were also in use in Scotland during the 17th century, and there is a claim that the use of the English word, and perhaps even the use of the coin, began at the University of St Andrews. This explains the sum of 'Ten thousand dollars' mentioned in Macbeth (Act I, Scene II), although the real Macbeth upon whom the play was based lived in the 11th century, making the reference anachronistic.

Interesting stuff, if true. I already knew about the dollar being derived from Spanish currancy, but the rest is new to me. Thank you so much for posting the story--it fits right in with what I'm planning. :)

TC

So it's not out of place... I was never good at history, thanks for the enlightment!

I've posted a scan of the map from Will and the Gold chase over in the Library thread. I'll follow up soon with the Darkshark's crew page, and the Mania Magazines. (It's high time I scaned those magazines in--they're falling apart! :( )

TC

I just managed to obtain a Forbidden Island in absolutely AMAZING condition; I'm really pleased with it. More on that later.

As a bonus, it came with the original box. Here's the text:

The Adventures of the LEGOLAND Pirates of the Sea

Forbidden Island

Sometime during the 18th century, a peaceful colony of settlers enjoying the island treasures they discovered, suddenly had there serenity interrupted. The invaders were those who called themselves the LEGOLAND Pirates of the Sea! For years, the Pirates had been searching for the same buried treasures that the settlers were now claiming as their own. This, of course, disturbed the Pirates as they knew the doubloons (Spanish gold coins) the settlers found had belonged to their ancestors.

Forbidden Island was named by the settlers because to them it was forbidden. It was the island where only pirates could live.

It was there that Captain Red Beard and the other buccaneers made plans to "steal" the gold from the settlers. Little did the pirates know, however, that the settlers had Governor Broadside guarding the gold and that they would have to deal with him first if they wanted it.

The Governor lived for the day he would have to defend the Eldorado Fortress and the gold. What he did not know was that the day of confrontation would be coming soon...

Use your imagination to continue The Adventures of the LEGOLAND Pirates of the Sea!

TC

I grew up with Captain Roger... Captain Redbeard is Americian thing...

He got in every country an other name I think, In Dutch he was called" Kapitein Knoest"

This is an interresting thread, I've never heard from this pirate stories :)

Edited by Wout

Here's one from another recent acquisition, the Caribbean Clipper (this is REALLY cool, because I NEVER had this set when I was young):

Somtime during the 18th century...(etc)

The gold the settlers found on a neighboring island needed to be transported back to their Fortress so that it could be kept hidden from the Pirates.

The crew aboard the Caribbean Clipper was called to action. Their task was to return the gold safely to the Eldorado Fortress at whatever cost. Once they reached the Fortress, Governor Broadside would take over and find a safe place to hide the gold.

The crew was a group of very proud men. They would not let anything or anyone come between them and the gold. The Pirates, however, had other plans...

Use your imagination...(etc)

Classic Pirates rule!

TC

The crew aboard the Caribbean Clipper was called to action. Their task was to return the gold safely to the Eldorado Fortress at whatever cost. Once they reached the Fortress, Governor Broadside would take over and find a safe place to hide the gold.

Doesn't this suggest that Governor Broadside is not a part of CC's crew? He is in the set... Strange...

Edited by Dreamweb

>Doesn't this suggest that Governor Broadside is not a part of CC's crew? He is in the set... Strange...<

I'd say that he does not command the Caribbean Clipper/Sea Hawk on a regular basis, no. As Governor, one would assume he had far too many shore based duties for that. Perhaps in this case he came aboard as a passanger, in order to make sure that the treasure was recovered safely. Clearly, he's a hands on kinda guy.

TC

Edited by TalonCard

I'd say one of these:

1)He's another man completely

2)He's Broadside, but in command in a way that he's still admiral.

I'd say one of these:

1)He's another man completely

2)He's Broadside, but in command in a way that he's still admiral.

Probably #1 if you also have the Eldorado Fortress with another Broadside figure. #2 if you don't. ;)

I was really excited to get my first Broadside figure. The soldier commander chap just doesn't have his commanding presense. :)

TC