Sign in to follow this  
Waterbrick Down

Photo Uploading Opinion Question

So this may just be a matter of personal opinion for some of you, but I was curious, why do some people use Brickshelf/MOCpages for uploading their photos and others use Flickr? I've searched through the topics and haven't come up with one that explained the trend of people towards Flickr lately. I've had my Brickshelf account for a few years now and was musing about switching over to Flickr. Any thoughts on the subject, or if you know of a topic where this has previously been discussed, if you could please link to it I would be most appreciative.

I just use Imgur myself, because it's fairly stable, and very easy to use.

brickshelf is literally just for LEGO, so it's appealing to AFOL's, but with multiple crashes I have never been a fan of brickshelf.

I use flickr because it is backed by a major player, yahoo. Therefore you are far less likely to have crashes, and in my opinion, other sites reduce the quality of your picture when uploaded, where flickr does not.

It's mainly personal preference though.

I also think it is Flickr allows non-Lego photos, so I can take a photo of my kids and put it up for Grandma, a photo of my favorite Lego MOC and post it, and only need one account. Not two. :wink:

Edited by Daniel's Dad

I also think it is Flickr allows non-Lego photos, so I can take a photo of my kids and put it up for Grandma, a photo of my favorite Lego MOC and post it, and only need one account. Not two. :wink:

Of course that too.

I use all three, though primarily flickr. flickr is for my MOCs, and I use those photos on a variety of sites. Good quality, no limitations on picture type, and the 200-picture limit for free accounts can be worked around by creating a group and adding all your pics to that group. Brickshelf for things that require lots of pics, like reviews and RCBs, since it's good quality and unlimited space. Crashes are annoying, though. MOCpages pictures stay strictly on MOCpages. Quality is just awful. I only upload there when I post an MOC there, and even then it's only the main pic that gets uploaded. The rest are deeplinked from flickr.

Historically speaking, I've almost always used Brickshelf. It had more to do with the fact that it was the only imagehost of which I was aware for many years (bar Majhost for obvious reasons). Even now, I appreciate its lightweight design with very little cumbersome decorative imagery, cutting the excess and getting straight to the point of the uploading and displaying of hosted images, all the more appreciated a few years ago when I had utterly laughable bandwidth allowance. I later discovered Photobucket, virtually the antithesis in that it's absurdly bulky in filesize, imagery and advertising, and consequently is not the most pleasant to load or use (and a recent amendment has made things slightly worse); but hey, when working on private collaborations as I do it's great to have the ability to render one's imagehost folders private and files accessible only through deeplinks/embedding. While there's probably a better solution than Photobucket, screw it, I'm there and they gave me unlimited hosting space for some reason so I'm content. That said, I've never used Photobucket for MOC storage; for that purpose it never really clicked with me. A year or so ago I started a Flickr account, intending to use it for MOCs. For various reasons I haven't managed to use it with much frequency, but from my experience it's a great service, especially as far as handling MOCs goes - though I have no idea how to use it as of yet, I quite like the notion of tagging portions of an image to comment or query on that specific point. It helps that the LEGO community there generally feels quite mature compared to what I've seen of MOCpages, in the sense that said maturity and the resultant comments and criticism would be more useful for receiving feedback on MOC work.

These days, I use Flickr for what few MOCs I have, whereas I reserve Photobucket for more menial image jobs and files intended to be kept private for a small audience - things like reaction imagery, collaborative project files, and personal images of varying utility; needless to say, my Photobucket sees much more use. I've kind of phased out of using Brickshelf/Majhost, possibly because of how detached I've been from the LEGO community and how most of what I've done for the past year or so has fallen more into the criteria of my use of Photobucket. I can't really make a recommendation as to which to use because, well, I haven't made much of a decision myself in that regard.

Right now I use MOCpages and upload duplicates of everything on Flickr, but I don't think I'm going to be using MOCpages anymore because I find it is often too slow, crashes too much, often has problems with displaying images, it takes forever to put images into groups, I prefer the Flickr user interface, and MOCpages really just sometimes seems like 90% of the people on there must be 3 years old (Bad spelling/grammar, inability to post any comments more constructive or interesting than "Nice <Insert whatever the picture is> dude", and comments such as "Cool. Come check out my stuff!"). Also on Flickr you can upload non-LEGO stuff, which I use sometimes. And so far I've never experienced any problem on Flickr other than a it of slowness on rare occasion.

I prefer to have my family photos separate from my Lego/Online Community photos.

I use a different source for each. Luckily there are lots of options.

I enjoy Google's Picasa most if only because the standalone Picture Inventory/Editor is pretty handy.