After half a year of very little Lego-time, I'm proud to present my Fully remote controlled Power Function Backhoe Loader:

The main dsesign-goal for this model was to make a backhoe with Power Functions only (sorry, pneumatic-fans :blush: ) and to try to electrically implement all 9 essential functions of a Backhoe loader:

* Steering

* Driving

* Outriggers

* Loader Up/Down & Bucket

* Backhoe Rotate, Up/Down, Arm & Bucket

afb256_800x600.jpg

I specifically chose not to use pneumatics, to make the model totally free with no hoses connecting the model to the remote (as with my previous Backhoe Loader). Since the power functions-system only has 8 channels, I had to include a remote-controlled gearbox that swithes functions of 2 motors to achieve 9 funtions (5 + 2x2). Besides the motorized functions, it has a pendular front-axle and PF-lights on front and back.

afb244_800x600.jpg

The Power-Puller wheels were the largest wheels I have (and exist as far as I know of), so they were te obvious choice for the rear wheels. These wheels are too wide, resulting in a model which is too wide and a central chassis of only 9 stude wide. There was very limited space inside the body to put in all the functions. The batterybox was placed under the hood, and as much motors were places outside the chassis as much as possible. 2 motors are inside the backhoe and 2 other motors were placed at the sides. The model turned out quite heavy, too heavy for the wheels, but driving still worked.

afb253_800x600.jpg

The gearbox switches functions of 2 motors. The red lever on the remote switches between operation of the front loader and the backhoe. This way, operating the model is quite intuitive. I used Jason Railton thumbstick to operate the backhoe & the loader. It was combined with the steering wheel I designed for my small racecars.

afb249_800x600.jpg

Moving up and down the backhoe turnded out quite slow. I had to use an M-motor inside the chassis, there was no place for an XL-motor anymore. The driveshaft goes through the gearbox and through the turntable. The weight of the backhoe caused quite some friction, so some gear reduction was neccesary to prevent overloading the M-motor.

afb248_800x600.jpg

You are a very, very bad person Jurgen. I was thinking of building a backhoe like this, and now you already did it ;)

On a more serious note, this is a very impressive MOC, congratulations. If I may have a suggestion, perhaps some small bodywork of wedge plates or old Technic panels could be added on the rear digging arm - it looks very 'skeletal' right now. Nevertheless, this is a job very, very well done sir.

You are a very, very bad person Jurgen. I was thinking of building a backhoe like this, and now you already did it ;)

On a more serious note, this is a very impressive MOC, congratulations. If I may have a suggestion, perhaps some small bodywork of wedge plates or old Technic panels could be added on the rear digging arm - it looks very 'skeletal' right now. Nevertheless, this is a job very, very well done sir.

:blush: Oops, sorry. Actually, the biggest part of the model was completed about half a year ago, but due to limited building time, I only recently finished it.

And as experienced builder you know that you have to choose between functionality and looks, and I mainly focussed on functionality. It isn't my prettiest model, but everything works fine. But you're right, some panels could do wonders.

Fantastic! I'm impressed! You managed to squeeze in a lot of functions in a small space! I've been working on a backhoe for a few months as well, and finding space for the motors and gearbox is difficult. My backhoe has all the motors in the chassis with shafts going to the rear boom, and to be honest, I like your idea of placing motors in the boom better.

Very good job. I like it. :thumbup:

I like this very much, along with the your other MOCs. :classic: Your own music on the YouTube video is very good too. Do you have plans to add Building Instructions for the backhoe to the Jurgens Technic Corner download page? please-490.gif

An awesome job.

It was totally worth the waiting!

BTW: you should put the music up for download as well... :thumbup:

Edited by JunkstyleGio

Great creation ! How does it weight? I don't notice any problems about the wheels which don't support the weight of the backhoe.

By the way, if you're interessted, I have made an amelioration of jjrailton controller which have some illegal builds. Here is mine :

img_2594.jpg

Other pictures to create it

Great work, the way you managed to motorize all functions is just crazy! How is the drive? Is it RWD?

I like this very much, along with the your other MOCs. :classic: Your own music on the YouTube video is very good too. Do you have plans to add Building Instructions for the backhoe to the Jurgens Technic Corner download page? please-490.gif

Due to time limitations and the high complexity of the model, I've decided not to make instructions, sorry. I have very little Lego-time at the moment, and I'd like to spend that time building new models instead of sitting behind a computer-screen.

Great work, the way you managed to motorize all functions is just crazy! How is the drive? Is it RWD?

Yes, RWD with 1 XL-motor & 10:3 gear reduction (12-20 --> 12-24).

Another great piece of engineering there Jurgen!

Incredible work on getting all the functions in such a small design

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

(did not see it at LowLug -yet?-)