Matn

Tia Dalma's Shack

In Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest Jack Sparrow and his crew travelled to Tia Dalma in order to find the Flying Dutchman. The mystic Tia Dalma lives in a tumbledown shack in the Cypress Forest on Cuba. Later his crew returned to the swampy forest to mourn Jack's death and to be confronted with the resurrected Barbossa.

eb1.jpg

eb2.jpg

eb3.jpg

eb4.jpg

img_7481.jpg

More photo's at:

Brickshelf: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=477565

MOCpages: http://mocpages.com/moc.php/278773

Flickr: Tia Dalma's Shack

I had a couple of other ideas including important scenes like Isla de la Muerta or the blacksmith workshop, but I hope this is still recognizable as I prefer building scenes with a lot of greenery. After seeing On Stranger Tides, I almost started on the fountain scene, but this was almost ready anyway. I finally bought the smallest set to at least have Jack Sparrow in it (the others are also expensive, that's why there's no Gibbs or Turner). So I hope you enjoy it! Comments and suggestions are, as always, very welcome. :pir_laugh2:

EDIT: If I'd happen to win the first price, I'd prefer the Mill set.

Edited by Matn

Very recognizable indeed, love the minifig combo on Tia Dalma, she doesn't look very happy though :P

I like that shack, I must say it's a very clean entry yet the jungle feel is there. Good luck.

where are her crabs? she looks not so happy indeed, maybe she got a surprising gift from Davey :p just kidding! Really nice MOC you've created! Good luck in the contest!

Very impressive. I've been thinking to make my own Tia Dalma just for myself and have been stumped on what body/head to use. Sorry if this is bad form here (I'm new) but what body is that?

This really is one hell of an entry! Recognizable and also clean. The characters are very nicely picked and just out of curiosity I'd suggest you put this boat further to the dock and the second one on as well. Just to see what you'd come up with the characters!

Good luck in competition!

Wow :pir-oh: !

This is the coolest entry I've seen. What theme and minifigure are Tia Dalma's clothes from? I may have to use those for a custom one myself.

Wonderful rendition of the scene. I was thinking the first few photos were great and then the one showing Tia and the cottages interior photo put it over the top for me. Great job!!

All those plants really add to the sense of realism in this MOC. The house itself is also excellent with that slightly worn-out look.

I do prefer SNOT water, but that's just personal taste I guess. And this doesn't look bad either.

And you also did a nice job on the Tia Dalma minifig :thumbup:

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

The only thing I think now is...

...Wow...

...and I'm looking at your MOC's charm and beauty in silence...

...and this silence continues...

...continues...

...continues...

...continues...

...OK, my shock and body&soul paralysis is over at the moment, so I may be able to write something now:

The crocodile is nice. =D

The house with nice inside and nice outside as well is nice. =D

The water is nice and the quantity of tr.blue bricks makes me jealous - I have none. =D

The plants is nice. And yes, quantity of plants makes me jealous too. =D

The ladder is nice. =D

The boat is nothing interesting, but I wouldn't do it better and I guess you couldn't do, because if you could, you'll do it, so the boat is nice. =D

Your MOC is nice. =D

The Dalma's fig is wonderful. =D

I'd like to advise you something, to write some hints to improve your MOC... But here's nothing to improve.

Good luck!

Edited by Toltomeja

This looks really good, I especially love Tia, you nailed her look perfectly.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your comments! :pir-blush:

I'd suggest you put this boat further to the dock and the second one on as well. Just to see what you'd come up with the characters!

I was going to do that at first, and in the second boat Gibbs, Turner and the other three pirates. I really wanted to do that, but I haven't got Gibbs or Turner (the sets they come in are just too expensive right now). If I get my hands on the figures really soon (because I don't think this will stay together for a long time), I'll certainly retake a picture or two with all the characters. :pir-wink:

As for Tia Dalma, she consists of Yeoman Zombie's head and arms, Troll Queen's torso (which fits perfectly with the head colour) and dress and of course Bellatrix Lestrange's hair.

Thanks again!

Sweet build! Great scene to choose and you have done an excellent job at making it instantly recognizable. The interior has some nice details and you have shown that you don't need to use all official figs. One of the beat entry's I've seen! Good luck in the contest

Fantastic entry Matn, you've really set the scene: suitably overgrown, dank and menacing. Your Tia Dalma custom is wickedly great too.

Best of luck in the contest!

This enrtry is perfect. You really nailed Tia Dalma with the pieces available to you and her shack, wow it's perfect! I love the vegetation growing on everything and the little river breaking the scene in two. The way that you added a little hill that the shack is on really makes this scene more interesting.

The only thing I might do would be to add some dead trees in the water along with some dead foliage.

An excellent entry, almost equal to the real movie scene! Outstanding work on all the details, and smart touches. :thumbup:

My favorite of all the entries so far :thumbup:

Your greenery work is awe inspiring, I'm still a noob at doing greenery though I horde all the parts i can that might be useful for this type of thing.

In the first image, which is my favorite, I was instantly transported in memory to the PoTC ride at Disneyland :pir-wub:

Of course as others have said, your custom fig is perfect too.

This is very impressive. I love all the greenery and how this MOC looks good from all angles. The Tia Dalma figure made me laugh too. It's a challenge trying to make a fleshie like that, having few female heads and none to speak of in a darker skin tone.

It's so hot and steamy in the jungle! Great build Matn, I love the hut exterior and the foliage especially, so evocative.

:pir-classic:

Very nice entry Matn!

It's not easy to make a hut like this and let it blend in with a jungle like you did. It's one of those MOCs that look pretty close to the real thing if you can ignore the LEGO studs. I'm very impressed by this entry!

Hi Matn, this is one of the greatest scenes in all of "Dead mans chest" and you have captured in perfectly, the very reason it works so well is the subtle details you over look on first observation.

These details such as the small dock and ladder (Nice parts use by the way :pir-wink: ). Other positives are your coherent colors all working in positive harmony together (Don't ask) , specific parts where you can see this is in the sand leaking into the water which was one of the best colors to use. My only criticism, is the back wall, when i first saw the back f the entry, i thought how wonderful the shack was, but how it could be expanded.

Maybe a wine cellar below, or a comfy bed for Barbossa?...But otherwise, great color scheme, strong style, and overall a great entry! :thumbup: :thumbup: