retrosalad

old school rules

somebodys swoped me lego set 119 and this set 810 ive tryed google but not much comes up any ideas please :classic:

100_5928.jpg

100_5932.jpg

100_5926.jpg

100_5924.jpg

What do you need to know ?

It's an early 1960's town plan set....actually someone in my home town offered me one and some other 60's sets for 500 bucks....sadly I don't have that much scratch. :sadnew:

But like I said what do you need to know about it ? :wink:

I just LOVE the pictures on the box! A pity there's no street poster map and the cars are not included, though...

Great find! :thumbup:

have a been done over then? as i swopped the set for 4 bbs centre caps worth £20.00? he told me theres only 1 car because the box shows different sets together.i wanted to know the year and how many cars as i wanted the vw garage :sad:

have a been done over then? as i swopped the set for 4 bbs centre caps worth £20.00? he told me theres only 1 car because the box shows different sets together.i wanted to know the year and how many cars as i wanted the vw garage :sad:

What ever you see on the box vehicle wise is what you should get, but this set is nearly 40 years old. The truck looks in good nic, and it seems all the parts are there to build to buildings.....plus the Esso sign also looks in good nic. It should also have the HO scale petrol pumps too.

yes the pumps are there and some people on bikes, trees and all that. at first i didnt want it as iv never seen such a set and the parts dont look like lego we see today :classic:

I just LOVE the pictures on the box! A pity there's no street poster map and the cars are not included, though...

Great find! :thumbup:

do you mean?

100_5927.jpg

So let me get this straight, you swapped something worth 20 pounds for this set.....SWEET !

The petrol pumps set is 20 bucks USA alone and the Esso sign is worth 12 bucks US too.

Bricklink parts list

Brick On 'retrosalad' ! :grin:

yeah and now i feel robbed as the centre caps sell for £50!!! this set dosent have any of the cars or the trucks shown :wacko:

yeah and now i feel robbed as the centre caps sell for £50!!! this set dosent have any of the cars or the trucks shown :wacko:

I wouldn't be so down about it, those 40 year old parts are rare and expensive......like 'AJ' said an MISB is available on BL for over 1000 bucks Aussie....that about 500 pound or so ! :wink:

I suggest you check off the parts you have against the list on Bricklink and see what you do and don't have. :wink:

well i think it's a set for real collectors. it's not what the average Lego fan on the internet forums would buy or be interested in. if the set, box and booklet are in good condition, then you may get some collector's interest, but my guess is that 750 euro is too high...

it's pretty nice to have i guess, but not my first choice

"1000 bucks Aussie....that about 500 pound or so !"

Maybe back in the old days. Current exchange rate is now only $1.50 to the pound so $1000 AU is about 666 pounds.

I remember when we used to get $2.50 to the pound on the relo's Xmas money.

@snefroe- Yeah, it's easy to list it, another thing to sell it.

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

Nice find retrosalad. I'm leaving this topic in the Town Forum for now and I'm going to merge it with the Lucky LEGO finds topic tomorrow since it's mostly focused on pricing and you've got the resources info you were looking for.

I'm gonna have to ask you to resize these photos though since pictures posted in EB must be no bigger than 800x600 according to the Site Guidelines. Here's a helpful tutorial on how to do that. Thanks. :classic:

do you mean?

100_5927.jpg

WOW! That's just great! That adds a lot to this set - incredible! :thumbup:

Is it just me or does the bricks seems of a newer date? Did the bricks have those tubes and reinforcements back in the 60's? See bottom of bricks.

But the baseplates and the car is definitive old school...

Another fun thing is if you look at the road plate, the streets are about 4 studs wide, today's streets is around 7?

But the houses was a lot smaller back then too.

Another fun thing is if you look at the road plate, the streets are about 4 studs wide, today's streets is around 7?

Er, the vehicle scaling is HO railway scale hence the road width. :wink:

I have a tow truck minus it's metal hook, cost my wife and son 20 cents at a flea market. :grin: Takes pride of place in a cabinet in the lounge room. :grin:

Is it just me or does the bricks seems of a newer date? Did the bricks have those tubes and reinforcements back in the 60's? See bottom of bricks.

But the baseplates and the car is definitive old school...

ive sorted it out now, it came with set 119 which had those parts missing. the train set is 1968 another good find ,they dont make lego like this anymore (thankgod!) i just wanted to share my finds with you guys and share the love :wub:

Good luck with your next swap, retrosalad. Keep on sharing your interesting finds.

I think you've done well enough out of the deal. Perhaps your swapper genuinely didn't know that the other vehicles should be in the set but regardless you've still got a nice bit of Lego history in your hands.

:classic: :classic: