Sign in to follow this  
dunamis

Review of King's Castle 10176

indexed.gif

Hail good Eurobricks readers! I bring forth the good news of the return to classic castle. As always, comments and complaints are welcome.

Knights Kingdom King

Nice review ! Too bad I have to buy the viking first ! But definitly a cool set, especially with 10 minifigs !!!

This review has opened my eyes a little. I don't like it that much, but it is better in some areas than I had expected although much worse in others.

I won't be picking this up at full price, as I'm building my own castle at the moment.

If you think you had damage, you should have seen mine. It was crushed in all 4 corners, and when I opened it, the green baseplate was cracked. I am getting a new part from lego as we speak. It was shipped UPS, and the outside brown box was in the same condition, with a big rip. One interesting thing about the box. On the top where they show all of the minifigures, instead of the blacksmith, they show another bull knight, identical to the first one, even though there is no other knight.

wtf?!? The sheilds are sticks!?! Oh well, it could be worse. I am overjoyed with the reurn of the chrome greatsword! Ugh, the floor of the first floor is green. :-|

wtf?!? The sheilds are sticks!?! Oh well, it could be worse. I am overjoyed with the reurn of the chrome greatsword! Ugh, the floor of the first floor is green. :-|

Yes, shields are stickers. I couldn't believe it.

The chrome sword is very nice.

I was puzzled by the green 1st floor as well. It's like they have grass in the throne room???

If you think you had damage, you should have seen mine. It was crushed in all 4 corners, and when I opened it, the green baseplate was cracked. I am getting a new part from lego as we speak. It was shipped UPS, and the outside brown box was in the same condition, with a big rip.

Wow, you definitely had worse damage. Mine was only crushed on the edges (although you couldn't tell in the photos.) Also, the sticker seals were broken on my box as well as all the boxes in the store. I figured I was safe since the perforated tabs were still intact. Strange that all boxes in the store were like that though...

Well this set occupated my mind these days,and I'm very pleased woth your review.Thanx :-)

As I see it better now,I can tell that TLC made step in right direction...

Of course it's still somehow <insert that tiresome argument>...

But it has it's better sides

After all,I'm surely going to buy this...

I'm just waiting for it to get in here... It's going to be no less than 130EUR.

Anybody knows the European price?

Greetings from Serbia

For the record the old lego castle sets used to have stickers everywhere : torsos, shields and flags ! Just look at the yellow castle (which is the ultimate reference for a lot of people, I'll never get that).

I don't find this castle so wonderfull. and one think that ii find very horrible is the gost! So horrible! I have an old one that looks more like a gost! I mean it has a black head like the new one but you can't see the head through its cloth. and some legs, what a silly idea, a gost doesn't have ones! and the worts of the wors, the yellow hands :-X ! Why TLC doesn't use white ones?

But the reurn of the chrome greatsword is a very good thing!

Good work Dunamis, I just want to add that the non-yellow minifig are the licenced ones.

Just a few notes for the reviewer:

First of all, FANTASTIC review! I really felt like I was building it with you X-D

This set is rather disappointing, I was thinking I might get it on sale, but on second thought nah. This wasn't from the classic castle line anyway, it was from the dreaded KK1, however at least with KK1 you got some pointed visors...

I love the flow of this review, great job, and please keep it up!

(also, TLG doesn't make all figs in fleshtone, just the license ones)

*y*

For the record the old lego castle sets used to have stickers everywhere : torsos, shields and flags ! Just look at the yellow castle (which is the ultimate reference for a lot of people, I'll never get that).

Well that's right but it's in actually just one castle - the yellow one...

What makes it so legendary? I think it's legendary only for truly LEGO fans who are in this almost for 30 years,and whose love started with this one...I think it's beautiful,but no legendary to me.

Who cared for stickers back then? Nobody,'cause they doesn't seen printed stuff...

Just can't believe TLC couldn't done printed ones... :-(

Greetings forom Serbia

Thanks for the feedback on the review, I enjoyed doing it. :-)

I had forgotten that the fleshie minifigs are only on licensed products - that explains it!

Let me know if anyone has any questions. I'm going to start on the 8285 Tow Truck review soon...

King's Castle is a set I've been undecided on up until now. Without a second thought I'd buy the Viking Fortress because it's a better deal, set design-wise, and piece to price ratio. It does not suffer from the degree of juniorization present in the KC. And the Viking torsos are printed. Structurally the castle is lame. Four towers and a middle section? Hasn't that been done to death? Never mind that TLC claims the KC is a "legend". :-| Because it isn't. ;-) At least they did something right, that ghost is scary looking! :-P

Excellent review, dunamis. I probably won't buy this set, ever. That <insert that tiresome argument> archway is bad enough, but in bley, yuck!

Let me know if anyone has any questions. I'm going to start on the 8285 Tow Truck review soon...

Awesome! That's one of the few technic sets that have caught my attention. I anticipate your musings.

humnahumnahumna i want it sooooooooooo badly!!! *sing*

how come the ghost has human hands?

I think the REAL explanation is that Lego doesn't pay that much atention to details and perfection like they used to. So, mistakes like these happen. Other examples include: errors in manuals. I know it happened in the past too but not so much as now...

i have a question about the glow-in-the dark ghost shroud from this set...

does any one have an older ghost shroud they could compare this new one (from this set) to ???

i am having some GITD issues... please take some time to read my thread here. and respond if you can help !!!

thanks in advance !!!

BrickMiner

EDIT: thanks to eveyone's comments regarding my concern. all was answered in the other thread !!!

Yeah, finally I've seen this...well, eh, jejejejeje, let me say that I really got closed with my MOC 10176!!!!

It's moreless the same and, well, It's a must have set, definitively. *wub*

*y*

I think you can tell when a review is good, because it'll make you want to buy it.

I saw this once and thought it looked ok, but your review made it seem ten times better and now I want it.

Good job. *y*

Thanks for taking the time to review this set. Great pictures! I sort of have mixed feelings about this set. Part of me likes it with the new elements but it's not classic castle. I do, however, like the detail (like the torture chamber) and figs are pretty nice to. I'm not sure if I'll buy.

I bought this set when it first came out because I didn't really have a castle. For a couple weeks, I though it was the best thing ever. Then, I realized in all honesty, it is a pretty crummy set. It has stickers like none other. The stickers for the shields blew me away, and made me angry. It doesn't really fit with any theme, and seems like a mismatch of figures. The castle itself is a front-only castle, which I hate. Overall, it wasn't worth the $100.

I had considered to get this set in the past, and I had no idea that this set has so many stickers for its shields...... In fact, it make me so annoyed that I gave up of buying this set as I need to pay a premium price for it. I don't mind its structure of the castle and the wierd range of minifigs. What I really mind and I can't accept it, is the shields are make up of sticker. I am extremely disappointed with this set, and I will give it a pass unless I need more castles. Even so, I will rather get the 7094 King Castle Siege instead.

I just purchased the King Leo's Castle, and it seems funny to me how similar this set is to that. It's not just the baseplate, the building techniques are nearly the same, and they use the same emblems here as well. There's just a similar vibe to both of the sets, as opposed to other big castle sets.

The biggest difference, though, are the minifigs, which are detailed and unique in King Leo's Castle, but generic and bland in this one. With the stickers to top it off, I'd never put my money on this set. :tongue:

i agree, i also noticed these similarities when i went through the instructions of King Leo's Castle :tongue: But i do think that overall this set here is the better one of the two, not at last because of the great blacksmith place "downstairs", and i think it also has more details.