Sign in to follow this  
Sean

The OS Marathon

Nice creation, Sean. :-)

I like the colors, and there's a lot of nice detials you've managed to add.

I think the exterior of the cabin looks a little on the plain side, maybe if you added some sort of design to it somehow it would look better.

I also think that the center mast should be tallest mast on the ship, not the front one. I don't know all that much about these kinds of ships, so I could be wrong.

Overall, a very nice creation! *y*

Sir Dillon, it looks like he switched them up during shooting (or it's an optical illusion):

marathon_13.jpg

The Marathon's a step up from the Corinithian (which looks way too boxy in my opinion :-/). That picture has me confused, was the middle mast always the highest? The cabin doesn't jive with the ship. It suffers from the boxy syndrome. The railing-muskets are a nice touch. The figurehead with the conquistador helmet and crossed swords is nice.

Overall, the Marathon is a good MOC; toss in a few more details (ship's sides are too plain), and fix the cabin, and it'll be great!

Good job sean! I actually expected something else, really the Corinthian but longer... did you destroyed the Corinthian and build the marathon from it, or is the Corinthian still standing? the cabin is a bit blocky and the center mast should be longer, add some detail to the cabin. Can we except another ship from you????

Arrr

Mr Tiber

It looks nice but the stern castle is somehow out of proportion with the rest of the ship, maybe it's too short or it's too blocky, I think something is wrong.

This is really nitpicky, but I've never liked those blue lanterns, black ones are a lot more realistic.

First off, thanks to all of you for the comments so far. :-)

Now, to the questions.

Sir Dillon, it is indeed an optical illusion. The center mast is (and should be) the tallest of the three, however by only a single brick height, for which I can understand some confusion when looking at the ship front on.

Mr. Berry, I agree the cabin does somewhat stick out. It was something I kinda/sorta noticed as I was building, but I wanted to finish the ship and see if anyone else thought that as well. What kind of ideas do you have to detailing the sides?

Mr. Tiber, the Corinthian did indeed donate the hull and a decent amount of the parts to the Marathon. Again, I do see how the cabin is blocky, I was hoping the slanted back would help some with that. Any reccomendations on how to fix that? Oh, and you can probably expect another ship sometime in the future, although I'm not sure if it will be as big as the last two.

Mr. Bond, I agree black are more realistic, so I will use the excuse that a crewmember got bored one day and wanted the lanterns to be prettier. :-D I think being taller would make it stick out more, so I guess its back to the whole blocky thing.

God bless, Sean

First off, thanks to all of you for the comments so far. :-)

Now, to the questions.

Sir Dillon, it is indeed an optical illusion. The center mast is (and should be) the tallest of the three, however by only a single brick height, for which I can understand some confusion when looking at the ship front on.

Mr. Berry, I agree the cabin does somewhat stick out. It was something I kinda/sorta noticed as I was building, but I wanted to finish the ship and see if anyone else thought that as well. What kind of ideas do you have to detailing the sides?

Mr. Tiber, the Corinthian did indeed donate the hull and a decent amount of the parts to the Marathon. Again, I do see how the cabin is blocky, I was hoping the slanted back would help some with that. Any reccomendations on how to fix that? Oh, and you can probably expect another ship sometime in the future, although I'm not sure if it will be as big as the last two.

Mr. Bond, I agree black are more realistic, so I will use the excuse that a crewmember got bored one day and wanted the lanterns to be prettier. :-D I think being taller would make it stick out more, so I guess its back to the whole blocky thing.

God bless, Sean

I really like it, it is sort of minimalist, but alot of warships were. the sterncastle could be lengthened, that might fix it, also slopes may help to round out the feeling of the ship when connecting the sterncastle and the main deck.

overall, i enjoy it. its a pitty you can not have the corinthian and the marathon built at once.

I find the ship very good, but the sterncastle is weird, and it looks a bit too square, lack of angles! Good job though, keep it up.

One of the thoughts that popped into my head is to add an archway over each gun port. The arches join into a single pillar~(all of them joined in the middle, between each gun port) The pillars can extend to the edge of the white and end in inverted slopes, like the ones already situated on the ship

Ah yes, we have progression! The OS Marathon is like an improved model of The Cornithian. This year's model comes with with several improvements including a more streamlined hull and life raft!

Ah yes, we have progression! The OS Marathon is like an improved model of The Cornithian.

I think it is Mr Phes....thats why he did it..

...The center mast is (and should be) the tallest of the three...

Not quite.

Fore and main masts of the same height were fairly characteristic of French frigates in the late 18th/early 19th centuries. Not all were the same, but enough were for it to be noted, and a common way to identify French frigates at a distance.

Captured French frigates would typically be rerigged by the British, and the result of that was generally to make the main taller than the fore.

Cheers

Richie Dulin

Indeed it's not a French frigate.

My comment was not meant to be exclusive, just indicating that the mainmast was not always the tallest, with French frigates being an example.

Mainmasts were typically taller than foremasts, but not always, and not always by very much.

As with many elements of vessel design, there are not always hard and fast rules, nor always clear answers.

I can see that your Miserable is a french ship! I think it is pretty elegant, the fore and main mast on the same heigt, *starts building a french frigate*