WhiteFang

REVIEW: 8805 LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 5

On a scale of 1 to 5  

247 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this entire Series 5?

2. 2. How do you find this review? Do you find it helpful and useful?

• 1 - Very helpful and useful
    • 2 - Somewhat helpful and useful
    • 3 - Little helpful and useful
    • 4 - Not helpful and useful at all
  3. 3. After reading this review and seeing actual images, do you like Series 5 now?

4. 4. Right now, what is the best released LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series so far?

Argh, they all look so fitting when put together with their partners! It's too bad Series 1 and 2 didn't make it here. :sceptic:

Anyway, nice review. :classic:

Great review!

But I'm not that exited about this new series. I'm not that kind of guy who is trying to get a full collection of all. I've picked out only the Space and Horror figures from series 1-4, and whatever I needed for figure custom projects.

Without any Space and Classic Horror characters in this series - I find it pretty boring. I hope to see more exiting figures in series 6.

Hey, WhiteFang, great review, as always!! How do you manage to get hold of these minifigs before anyone else?

I realy like the Cleopathra minifig. Only her makeup looks wierd, nothing like the traditional Egyptian makeup, I wonder why TLG did it in that way.

The Gladioator is cool too. Yes, I'm more into historical themes.

Edited by Nikola Bathory

I know and we know we're experts now when it comes to feeling CMF pack and identifying them. The trick it isolate a piece that would ultimately identify the minifig. The usual thing to do is to find a small piece, which is easy to isolate (and then identify) since it moves more freely inside the pack than the bigger pieces. Example: banana, bone, magnifying glass, axe handle (wand), and axe blades. Another trick is to find a big/long identifying piece. Example: fishing rod, snowboard, rifle, snake, and skirt just like in Kimono Girl.

I was thinking about this last night, namely what will be the best way to identify the dwarf... and your list confirms what I thought. There's no single element in the rest of Series 5 that will feel quite like the rod that will serve as the dwarf's axe handle. During Series 4 it was this piece that allowed me correctly identify 6 vikings by feel alone. Well, okay, I'm partially lying, originally I mistook the artist's brush as this piece, but I can't truly consider this a failure since I wanted a second artist anyway.

But yes, Richard, you're spot on-- it's not always the big bulky pieces that are the giveaway. Sometimes they get all caught up in the middle of the pack and it's hard to feel them out. Smaller pieces, on the other hand, like ice skates and bones, or even musketeer plumes, will easily fall into the corner of the bag and can be ID'd rather easily.

ALSO --> Anyone else worried that a previous bag-feeler will end up wrinkling your graduate's gown??

Another great review WhiteFang! I have been looking forward to this series since the first previews, and now I am even more excited. By my count, this series has the highest hit/miss ratio. I wish the zookeeper/gladiator ratio was the other way around. The gladiator and dark dwarf are going to be really popular, and in this series everything will be easy to identify by touch, so they will vanish from stores with elven speed.

:classic:

Thanks for the great review, Whitefang! I have to admit, I wasn't too impressed by S5 when the pictures from the Toy Fair and the digital images came online, but seeing this has changed my opinion completely! :thumbup:

Thanks for the review, WhiteFang! I probably will pick up one or two, but with my luck, it will be something I really don't want. I agree about the color as well, it is much easier on the eyes than that ugly orange they used. :sick: Personally, my favorites are the Dwarf, Gladiator, Mafia Goon, Grenadier, and the Graduate. I can already see a MOC of The Graduate with that minifigure.

And with a little modding and painting, I think we'll see the Godzilla MF look like this...

barney-tv-06.jpg

Just saying. :laugh:

Thanks again WhiteFang for a wonderful review.

Some very nice minifigs are waiting and you've made the wait for them even more exciting

now we now in close up how outstanding these figs are made!

Thank you so much for all of your encouraging comments! Your words do mean alot to me.

Just wanted to add a point about the graduate. The graduate's gown is a problematic piece. You will need to press and iron it in order to make it straight. I subtly mention in the reviewing content and also deeplink an image to prove my point. Furthermore, I need to adjust some angle on the hand, so I can keep it still and not letting it fly around.

Only a pity I spend so much money on it, I have much less for other lego sets I still want to buy.

I agreed with you. Getting myself in this theme, had truly made me depleted my disposable income for my other LEGO themes that I am interested.

Fangy, you have excelled yourself! :wub: This is a super review, your best yet. :sweet:

I can see myself going out to get a whole box of these beauties. Possibly my favourite series of them all :drool:

3 cheers for Rufus! For a Special LEGO Themes Regulator, you ought to get tons of these! :grin:

Is there any chance you could take a bigger picture of the barcode on the S5 pack, to scan at the price check point?

I had prepared this image earlier but choose not to feature it. Hope it helps.

7deeplink1.jpg

I only hope the grenadier red torso doesn't have the issue of the red color showing a bit through the white printings (belt) making those look slightly pink.

Err... I took a very careful look and I hate to disappoint you. There was indeed a slight presence of pinkish colour on the white prints... :cry_sad:

It's disappointing that there's only 3 graduates, not because they will be particularly useful (although a graduation MOC would require many of them), but because that's the kind of thing I'd like to give as gifts to people.

I shared the same sentiments as you do, and I am intending to gift it to my brother when he graduates.

- Woodcutter: is it just the angle or is his cap a different format (flatter) than the baseball player's cap?

Both belongs to the same cap design with different prints.

- Cavewoman: does the hairpiece fit better than the rubber hairpiece of the Crazy Scientist? It looks like it...

Yes, the hairpiece for the cavewoman is very fitting.

- Snowboarder: there is no logo or anything printed on his beanie hat, right?

Nope.

I can tell we're going to be getting a lot of these! :grin:

I bet you will. :wub:

I especially love the pose you have for the grenadier. Maybe they should come out with a Queen to compliment him. :laugh:

If I am not running short of time, I will definitely pull that shot! :tongue:

Are you telling me these figs are in TRUs now?! (I'm from NYC btw)

No. They are not available for sale yet.

I know and we know we're experts now when it comes to feeling CMF pack and identifying them. The trick it isolate a piece that would ultimately identify the minifig. The usual thing to do is to find a small piece, which is easy to isolate (and then identify) since it moves more freely inside the pack than the bigger pieces. Example: banana, bone, magnifying glass, axe handle (wand), and axe blades. Another trick is to find a big/long identifying piece. Example: fishing rod, snowboard, rifle, snake, and skirt just like in Kimono Girl.

Very helpful tips! Thank you r1chard.

But I'm not that exited about this new series. I'm not that kind of guy who is trying to get a full collection of all. I've picked out only the Space and Horror figures from series 1-4, and whatever I needed for figure custom projects.

Without any Space and Classic Horror characters in this series - I find it pretty boring. I hope to see more exiting figures in series 6.

I am sure we will see more Space and Classic Horror characters for Series 6 and beyond.

How do you manage to get hold of these minifigs before anyone else?

Nikola, it was sponsored by TLG to Eurobricks. It was explained in the second paragraph.

During Series 4 it was this piece that allowed me correctly identify 6 vikings by feel alone. Well, okay, I'm partially lying, originally I mistook the artist's brush as this piece, but I can't truly consider this a failure since I wanted a second artist anyway.

I am also one of the guilty party too. :laugh:

Another great review WhiteFang! I have been looking forward to this series since the first previews, and now I am even more excited. By my count, this series has the highest hit/miss ratio. I wish the zookeeper/gladiator ratio was the other way around. The gladiator and dark dwarf are going to be really popular, and in this series everything will be easy to identify by touch, so they will vanish from stores with elven speed.

:classic:

Great to see you, Rob. :thumbup:

I am sure this had made you looking more forward to Series 5 ever before. Glad you had enjoyed it. I am sure all of us will love to see 5 gladiators instead of 3.

Thank you for great review, WhiteFang! It was such a pleasure to read it, and it helped me with decision

what figs I'm going to buy and what not.

11) The witty Detective

21.jpg

That magnifiying glass is pointing in wrong direction. :laugh: (trying to make it bigger, ha :laugh: )

:tongue:

The godzilla guy made me think of the (old) A-team :) Now we need Face standing next to him and light his sigar :)

Edited by ChefAgf

Thanks so much for answering my questions, WhiteFang. Again, fantastic review, I keep coming back to this thread to look at the pictures! :classic:

Great review ! Thanks WhiteFang! :laugh:

I always like the idea of having a return of old themes, like Space Villain (Blacktron) in series 3. Now here comes the dark dwarf ! :devil:

And couples for the figures are nice too. I never want my figures to be alone !

Thanks for this great review in general and special thanks for the excellent photos with the comparisons to other (older) collectible minifigs!

I will get this series again for sure (somehow I'm still NOT thinking it's the best series yet - it just finishes (or continues) the lines that have been brought to the market before), but there's one thing that really pisses me off (and although you were asking for not commenting here, I still do it):

Price: 9/10 (Still reasonably priced for detailed unique minifigures despite of its price increase.)

NO!

This is NOT reasonably priced (come on 2,50€ for a simple minifig??? Look at the royal guard and the woodcutter: That's no white printing on the torso - it's reddish white (like Bonaparte already pointed out)...just like the poor quality on the PotC army torso's :hmpf:). One tool (again), where there used to be two (in the first series)? I will surely get less minifigs that in the other series.

I have the strong feeling that these figs are selling so well up to now, that this lead to the conclusion at TLC: Hey, we can ask another 25% more for the figs! Why don't we just do it?

Lousy greedy TLC people!

I really hate you for raising the price. :angry:

May you choke on your greed!

Thanks for getting back to me, Whitefang. I'm disappointed that they have no backprinting on the females, but it's not that big a problem because they're fronts and accessories are all nice.

This is NOT reasonably priced (come on 2,50€ for a simple minifig??? Look at the royal guard and the woodcutter: That's no white printing on the torso - it's reddish white (like Bonaparte already pointed out)...just like the poor quality on the PotC army torso's :hmpf:). One tool (again), where there used to be two (in the first series)? I will surely get less minifigs that in the other series.

I have the strong feeling that these figs are selling so well up to now, that this lead to the conclusion at TLC: Hey, we can ask another 25% more for the figs! Why don't we just do it?

Lousy greedy TLC people!

I really hate you for raising the price. :angry:

May you choke on your greed!

Is this a worldwide price increase, or just in certain places? I certainly hope that they don't go up to £2.50. I mean, 50p doesn't seem much, but I does add up if you want to get them all.

It's quite a big issue IMO that they're bringing the prices up by 25%, but I don't think it's a cause for caps and coloured letters. And I disagree about TLG choking on their greed - no TLG means no LEGO :cry_sad: !

Thanks for the review and the great pics of these beauties!

But weren't series 5 supposed to come in purple bags? I distinctly remember that (and have a nice dk purple shelf waiting for them). :wacko:

Thanks for the review! I'm waiting for the Royal guard, the Dwarf and the Gangster so much!

Amazing, witty and funny review as usual! God...most of the figs I want are on the low % list. But I'll be trackin' these puppies down.

I didn't read through the whole thread but anyone know a rough estimate of when these are supposed to hit the shelves? Fall perhaps?

Great review, WhiteFang! Can it be assumed that it will be released one month earlier ahead of the planned date? So Mid-July?

And though this might be a dumb question, the pie is a open stud right?

8deeplink1.jpg

I'm pretty sure it is, but can it fit in between four pegs (without encapsulating a stud in it)? Thanks :D

*hands Holodoc a biscuit and a cup of hot chocolate*

I don't like the price-raising either. Maybe we can swap our doubles, so we won't have to buy more and more and more of them to complete the series?

Congrats on 3000 posts btw! :thumbup:

Edited by Miss Kyle

All in all I'm very impressed with this series. Almost every minifig has a unique item.

The Grenadier's torso and hat are going to be particularly useful amongst Pirate fans.

The quality of the review is stellar WhiteFang!

Kudos to you for all your hard work!