• 5: Excellent!
    • 4: Good!
    • 3: OK
    • 2: Poor
    • 1: Horrid

Set Index: Rocka XL

indexed.gif

DSC08275es.jpg

....and so Rocka interfaced the Xtreame Largeness module into his Hero Core and became Rocka XL!... Actually I'm making that up. In any case Rocka XL is a titan version of Rocka 3.0. Is bigger better? Well I don't have the standard version so I can't tell you yet... but I can tell you that someone seems to have sat on this box during transit. :hmpf_bad:

DSC08276es.jpg

The traditional good vs bad image is at the back... which is too edited for my taste. Back box shots of recent Star Wars sets have been less edited lately; I hope the trend extends to Hero Factory in time.

DSC08017es.jpg

Let's start with the contents. All bagged except the torso. To my surprise there's a decent size collection of pins, but I suppose it's hard to go pin free for such a large model.

DSC08021es.jpg

It's got a nice spread of parts though, and loads of gold!

DSC08057es.jpg

Here's the official parts page with the classic "ouch!" on the left side.

DSC08022es.jpg

Back on the gold, he's got a gold chest...

DSC08024es.jpg

...even a gold Zamor sphere. (Yeah, I know they probably aren't called that anymore.)

DSC08025es.jpg

The gold helmet is quite nice. Not as nice as the CG-enhanced box shot, but it's detailed. (Note that since the helmet is the 1:1 shot on the box it's not completely unclear that the eyes don't really glow.) I wonder if the "H" on the side is supposed to be one?

DSC08029es.jpg

From the rear it's a bit bland, but I prefer it to the double-heads so I'll try to not complain too much!

DSC08031es.jpg

It uses the standard two rod connectors; I wonder how many of these helmets will end up being used as figureheads...

DSC08038es.jpg

Maybe this is why he's bigger; two name panels! Like the 2.0s it's a nice print.

DSC08040es.jpg

I do like this new piece; I can see this being useful for many MOCs. It's made of a flexible rubbery material and I quite like the metallic effect.

DSC08043es.jpg

These are also new. There are a few pieces from this new line that have clip style connections. I like this a lot.

DSC08044es.jpg

Loads of these spiky things. I'm not sure if these are supposed to be good versions of the "Quaza spike" things that the bad guys have, but it'd make sense. As a guess it's not; Bulk 3.0 has two.

DSC08046es.jpg

The two sides aren't the same, but TLG have done a good job of making them similar.

DSC08051es.jpg

OK, it's time to assemble! At first a solid core of ball joints is made... it kind of reminds me of a dog!

DSC08055es.jpg

Instructions at the same stage!

DSC08062es.jpg

After that the legs are built up...

DSC08064es.jpg

...spikes are added...

DSC08066es.jpg

...and with a roar he's finished! My first thought is; "What eyes does he see with?" The front of the box implies it's the helmet, but the rear has the internal eyes glowing instead... :wacko:

DSC08279es.jpg

From the back he's passable and he still looks nice and beefy.

DSC08105es.jpg

There's a few spare parts, but nothing exciting.

DSC08069es.jpg

Rocka XL does deserve his name; he makes Von look rather short!

DSC08270es.jpg

Compared to a standard 3.0 figure he's vastly bigger...

DSC08271es.jpg

...and I feel a bit sorry for Waspix too!

Ratings

Posability:

Very good, but it's hardly surprising with the titans. I especially like how you can adjust the angle of the big lower legs. 10/10

Parts:

If you like the gold you'll love this set! It also comes with loads of the new parts, all of which I love. 9/10

Looks:

There's a lot I like about him, and there's a lot I don't. The white insides looks weird to me (same story with the red but that's not as obvious), I wish they found a different solution to the grey Technic Pin Long with Stop Bush in the shoulder and the front of the lower legs seem unfinished with that grey 3 beam. (I might change mine to a black.) 7/10

Fudge:

As I've already said, the titans of this line look a bit unfinished to me. A different part/colour in the legs, some more bulk in the hips... I think just a little bit extra would have made a big difference. 8/10

Overall:

Regardless of what I've said, I do like Rocka XL. Not as much as Von, but I still think he's an imposing figure and I think they'll learn to get on. I would love to see something similar at a higher price point however. (Chances are market research and past experience says it won't sell... :cry_sad:) 8/10

Great Review! :classic:

Did you get this from Germany?

I think he got it from LEGO. If true, I thought you couldn't make reviews till' June 1st?

Anyways, Rocka XL might be an large improvement from Fire Lord , But he's rather sloppy and like you said, unfinished.

I prefer Aldous more. :tongue:

Edited by TheRedGuy

I think he got it from LEGO. If true, I thought you couldn't make reviews till' July 1st?

Yeah, the group email Jan sent out was very clear that there were no reviews until July 1st. So I'm assuming he bought it somewhere.

I have to say, what with all spikes and stuff hanging off of him, it doesn't look like he would do too well in a jungle like enviroment!

Edited by toatyger

There is a new beam piece in the set, in the form of two light grey B-type Beam with two Technic holes, part number 90615.

Great review, maybe the best 2011 HF set, although very similar to Fire Lord.

Not too happy with this guy. He's basically Fire Lord with a new paint job, but also with a lot of new flaws. For instance, his arms don't have the same posability as Fire Lord's, his torso is less streamlined, and his overall look is less unified. His only serious advantage over Fire Lord-- the fact that the legs look less gappy-- could be remedied on the older set just by adding the new piece used on Rocka's upper legs to Fire Lord's. Thankfully, it's in a compatible color so for people who have both sets this is totally possible.

Rocka XL's arms seem a little less obtrusive than Fire Lord's, but it's hard to judge. Their joints are almost exactly the same, but Rocka XL's look a little more compact. It's hard to say whether this assessment is correct, though.

Overall, I imagine I'll be passing on this set. That may change as the months go by, but I don't anticipate it.

I'll definitely be getting this one. The parts are great and he looks pretty decent built. So many spikes... so many.

Also he comes with a old fashioned ball like they used on the chests of some of the Toa Mata? I thought that part was... discontinued.

Also he comes with a old fashioned ball like they used on the chests of some of the Toa Mata? I thought that part was... discontinued.

The one on the top of the chest? I wonder if that's one of those alternate parts things? Like the Indy set that first released the red all the way through versions as a running change.

I had thought it had been discontinued as well. They don't hold friction very well.

Edited by Darth Vader

The one on the top of the chest? I wonder if that's one of those alternate parts things? Like the Indy set that first released the red all the way through versions as a running change.

I had thought it had been discontinued as well. They don't hold friction very well.

Maybe they're emptying stock.

Aaand my opinion of this set remains pretty much the same. Good set, wonderful parts, lots of unnecessary details that clutter it up but are made of delicious new/useful pieces that can be removed easily.

Totally still on the want list.

No, the old-style ball joints were never discontinued. The fact that this set uses one where a new-style one would have worked just as well is a bit odd, but since the instructions dictate that it use an old-style ball joint (and list the old-style ball joint in the inventory), I see no reason to believe it's just a matter of circumstance that this set happened to contain one.

See the summary-by-year of the part here. While this piece is not used nearly as often as it was in 2001 or 2002, its use never waned for any considerable length of time. It was used about as much in 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, and 2010 as it is today. Frankly, the old-style ball joint is superior for most System applications (specifically as a detail piece), and the only surprise here is that it's being used here in a Hero Factory set alongside the newer-style ball joints, when the newer style could just as easily be used throughout.

Yeah, after a quick B-link search I've realized it's still used in system sets a bit, because of the stud connection on the bottom. Still very strange that it's on Rocka, but I welcome any and all balls so I won't complain.

Thank you for the review!

I think it's lovely and the amount of gold in this set is nice! :classic:

Nice set, definitely buying this. Thanks for the review!

I do wonder though, the red ball joint holding the gold armour piece below the hero chest plate seems like it isn't attached securely. Does it wobble a lot? Also, are his blade-fingers loose, due to their soft plastic nature?

Edited by Lockon Stratos

He looks alright, but I'll probably just get it for parts. The set definitely doesn't lack in good parts. Thanks for the review!

Ah, I thought he might have waist articulation.

I think I'll pass Rocka XL because I'm not a big fan of golden parts, and he doesn't seem to have enough other nice parts which outweigh the parts I don't need.

But I like his overall design. Odds are good that I'll pick him up one day once his price got dropped (which is of course rather unlikely, since titans don't get often price cuts).

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Yeah, the group email Jan sent out was very clear that there were no reviews until July 1st. So I'm assuming he bought it somewhere.

Yes it was. But when the sets turned up in Germany I EMailed Jan to explain what had happened and he gave me permission to post them.

There is a new beam piece in the set, in the form of two light grey B-type Beam with two Technic holes, part number 90615.

This piece?

DSC08352es.jpg

Great review, maybe the best 2011 HF set, although very similar to Fire Lord.

I never bought Fire Lord (he looked to messy to me) so I didn't realise that... :blush:

I do wonder though, the red ball joint holding the gold armour piece below the hero chest plate seems like it isn't attached securely. Does it wobble a lot? Also, are his blade-fingers loose, due to their soft plastic nature?

Yes, it does wobble, and the finger blades aren't locked in place as they are held only by a pin-end.

Ah, I thought he might have waist articulation.

Sadly no. It'd be a difficult mod too.

Looks like a good selection of parts but I would need a price to make a decision. Anybody have any idea?

From what I've heard -> Rocka XL <- $24.99 USD. (I didn't pay for these; TLG very generously have donated these to a few sites for reviewing purposes.)

Yes it was. But when the sets turned up in Germany I EMailed Jan to explain what had happened and he gave me permission to post them.

And afterward we sought the same permission. No worries! It's fun to see how we do reviews differently too.

And afterward we sought the same permission. No worries! It's fun to see how we do reviews differently too.

Rocka XL I certainly like it, but I'm what

I do not understand why Rocka 3.0 arm with claws located on the right hand, while Rocka XL hand with claws located on the left hand, and why?

Edited by nikita-33

Rocka XL I certainly like it, but I'm what

I do not understand why Rocka 3.0 arm with claws located on the right hand, while Rocka XL hand with claws located on the left hand, and why?

Same reason why Mata Nui (canister size) has a Thornax Launcher on his right hand, while his titan counterpart has one on his left. It's a set thing.

Kinda a rehash of Fire Lord. I'll stick to the 3.0 incarnation.

Anyone know the piece numbers for the Thornax Launcher piece, a black 3.0 hand, and a gold ball in this set? I can't read the numbers on the page. Thanks!

Edited by cylex7

Kinda a rehash of Fire Lord. I'll stick to the 3.0 incarnation.

Anyone know the piece numbers for the Thornax Launcher piece, a black 3.0 hand, and a gold ball in this set? I can't read the numbers on the page. Thanks!

Thornax launcher piece:4609595

Black HF hand:4612482

Gold Zamor sphere:4594818