eiker86

3677 Red Freight Train

I can confirm that this train will be released in August and will replace the current cargo train from 2010.

Its price will be very similar to last year's cargo train.

That this new train shall be around the same price like the current one is imo really bad since already the current one is very expensive but does include more playabilty.

Imo it's even weird that TLG decided to replace last year's cargo train with this new one. I don't say that the new one is worse designed - but it includes much less playability.

Plus one thing is strange: Why haven't we seen any picture of this train in the dealer's catalogue for the second half of 2011? Or will the current cargo train be discontinued and the new one only be sold via S@H and TRU?

Klaus-Dieter

I am interested in the strategy TLG is taking with this. In my opinion the 7939 is a better set as well. I don't know the figures but I believe the sets were selling quite well, it seems strange to replace it so soon. And will it just be the cargo train being replaced? Will there be be more frequent, but staggered, releases? Will there be one new train every year? After somewhat of a drought there seems to be an influx of train related releases; I wonder whether TLG will get the returns they're after.

WTF ?

'Klaus' did you say same price as the 7939 cargo train....that's 299 AU dollars.....oh, man...need it to be available where they have big discounts...hopefully Myers.

Oh, and no picture in the dealer catalogue.....oh, well.....then it could be a store exclusive....but 'peterab' said it wouldn't be in Oz.....oh, I'm so confused ! :wacko:

Hopefully, Lego will soon put us out of our misery eh ? :laugh:

Perhaps a mould broke - or was needed for another model in higher volumes... or TLG just got annoyed that AFOL'S bought the set and split it them on ebay for huge profits? Or perhaps they considered a cargo train to be less popular with KFOL's, and did a lower production run than the 7938 train... only to discover the reverse was true.

For the new model to be the same price as 7939 I would expect it to appear with track... and motors etc, possibly with switches (like cargo train). Without this it would be an expensive exclusive.

I can confirm that this train will be released in August and will replace the current cargo train from 2010.

That this new train shall be around the same price like the current one is imo really bad since already the current one is very expensive but does include more playabilty.

Imo it's even weird that TLG decided to replace last year's cargo train with this new one. I don't say that the new one is worse designed - but it includes much less playability.

Plus one thing is strange: Why haven't we seen any picture of this train in the dealer's catalogue for the second half of 2011? Or will the current cargo train be discontinued and the new one only be sold via S@H and TRU?

Klaus-Dieter

I think that the answer to all these puzzles is the same: The current cargo train 7939 is selling faster than expected, however, lego has not increased production of 7939.

This means that (a) lego does not see the need to lower the price, and (b) 7939 will sell out sooner than expected, so its replacement, 3677, must be released sooner than originally anticipated.

Perhaps a mould broke - or was needed for another model in higher volumes... or TLG just got annoyed that AFOL'S bought the set and split it them on ebay for huge profits?

Huge profits, are you kidding? Think about the time it takes to pack and ship all these items, the eBay fees, etc., it's hard to make money this way. If there was real money to be made here, then lego would do it themselves.

The people that are doing that (I'm not one of them) are doing us a service by increasing the number of things we can choose from.

The people that are doing that (I'm not one of them) are doing us a service by increasing the number of things we can choose from.

Sorry Irony Icon was not available. Agreed I use that service as well - having just bought two more container wagons that way. But this probably has made sales of 7939 explode. I dont see it happening so much with the 3677 set... to many unusual items. But enterprising people will probably use the split base plates to generate longer wagons for the Maersk liner, and the red loco will be welcome. And a long coal train going to a power station would look grand.

OK, TLG just saved me 120 euro (which I was will to pay for 3677). I was just thinkig how there are a lot of trains this year and how will I get money for all, but now this problem is gone, because there is no way I would buy 3677 for 170 euro. I'd rather buy another copy of 10219 to make proper long train AND PF parts for it.

7939 was about $180 in the US. I'd be willing to buy this set for the same price if it came with a decent track layout, and some accessory vehicles or trackside equipment. Remember, it was shown with a conveyor loader we hadn't seen before.

It has the potential for similar playability to 7939; so if it's really priced similarly, I'd expect we'll see those features once it's officially released.

I talked to the guy from LEGO on the stand and he said its a offcial set comming this year, and the battery box IS red, its no sticker, i asked him!

The battery box is red. You can see the grey top and bottom in the hood. This is no fake, or Mocs. It was officially displayed at LegoWorld, by LEGO.

Well, a red battery box sure would be useful, if they were planning to release a remake of the 6399 Airport Shuttle. Even the stripe (the light gray lid) is almost spot-on. :wink:

It's interesting how discussion about this train stopped after it was revealed that it will be much more expensive than we all thought. I think that it will be the same with sales. For same amount of money 7939 look much better (it has tanker, LEGO container and crane), while 3677 is just service train, with no need for more then one of each wagons (except coal wagon)

Klaus-Dieter

I guess I have a mixed reaction to this news. on one hand, it great to have a new design, with new features, but on the other, I feel the current train really is a good one, and is getting replaced by an overall inferior designed set.

IMO, 7939 was great for several reasons, it had lots of playability, containers could be moved around, loaded, the cars were great sets in and of themselves, it seemed like every part could be taken as a separate set. The standout bit IMO was the fact the locomotive design was that not only did it look built for speed, but it was also omnipurpose - not only did it look good hauling it's train, but it wouldn't look out of place pulling a passenger train - you could even connect three emerald night cars behind it and it would look like a modern orient express. The design was markedly different from most other freight engines from the pf, rc, and 9v eras, and was ultimately better for it.

This new design seems to have been built for one purpose - which limits the playability. Personally it looks like it's purely built for low-speed maintenance operations. You have a locomotive that looks as if it's an upgraded shunting loco (though I have seen locos like this pull trains), a box wagon that looks like it's about to do some short-haul work, an admittedly cool looking hopper car (and loader), and a maintenance car that has very limited use if not MOC'ed. After seeing these pics for the first time my personal guess was that this was going to be a third train filling a niche gap, but I guess that didn't make good business sense. Sad, but personally I don't see this set being half as good a seller as 7939. I'll probably skip this one, especially seeing as the Maersk train already seems to look like a better freight train anyway.

I'm not sure all the gloom and doom is warranted. I think the engine will have wide appeal, I like it because it looks like an older German freight loco, so I guess the German train lovers might too, and Germany is the biggest market for Lego, and town is their favourite theme. It also has appeal as a parts pack, purely because it gives a good cheaper replacement for the Santa Fe windscreen. It also has the red battery box which will be useful in AFOL mocs. It has the vague outline of an American loco too so it won't be as foreign to that market as the yellow engine was when it first appeared.

I think we should reserve judgment on the value for money till we see what comes with the set. I think the playability will be pretty good especially as the loading facilities might tie in very well with the new grain ship in the harbour theme.

Peter

Edited by peterab

I think we should reserve judgment on the value for money till we see what comes with the set. I think the playability will be pretty good especially as the loading facilities might tie in very well with the new grain ship in the harbour theme.

Agreed. It will look good; and if 7939 had not previously been released then a lot of people would probably be raving over it. The main reaction will be from KFOL and parents buying for their children, whereas 7939 appealed directly to KFOL and AFOL.

I look forward to it; and wish people would show a video / photo of a long coal hauling locomotive with the loading bay...

I'm a little undecided about this engine. I will definitely be buying this, but as to whether I buy several of these or just the one, I dont know.

I have 3 7939's and I would probably buy another 4 if I could afford it.

I love the engine, and I could definitely see the Red battery box being of use to me for MOC's and as use as a little yard shunter.

The Green Box car looks a little odd and out of place, it looks very retro, very much like the red box car from 7898, I'm not really a fan of it on the old RC Cargo train and the colors look very out of place.

The Utility car with the little crane, I cant decide if I like this or not, it doesnt jump out at me at all, but I dont hate it, however I cant see the use for more than one.

The coal hopper I feel the same way as I do about Marmite, I like it, but at the same time I really dont! Its a great little addition, but I cant bring myself to say that its brilliant, I think its that big single piece that makes up the hopper.

The utility truck, I love this, its a brilliant little addition. Fits really well with the other utility vehicles for City.

And the Ballast Loader, I'm not sure, I want to see it really, much like most of the train.

Overall I think the kids will love the train, I like some of it, however I'll reserve final judgement for when I have the completed engine on my rails. I'll definitely be buying one, whether I buy any more I'm not so sure, completely unlike the 10219 where I know I'll be spending too much money on several of them.

The coal hopper I feel the same way as I do about Marmite, I like it, but at the same time I really dont! Its a great little addition, but I cant bring myself to say that its brilliant, I think its that big single piece that makes up the hopper.

It's a coal hopper? Whoah, I thought this is a wagon with some new lego boat ;)

It's a coal hopper? Whoah, I thought this is a wagon with some new lego boat ;)

It's neither a coal or grain hopper, the hopper and it's loader is for ballast....this is a track maintance train.

But I guess, you could call it the others just change the colour of the round 1x1 plates ! :wink:

I'm looking forward to this getting this train. A track maintenance train seems like a neat concept. I saw that a few have said it should cost around the same as 7939... I hope not. It looks like it has less going on. Apart from the four rolling stocks, there is only the small truck that goes on the train and a loading station. Doesn't seem like $180 set, at least I hope not. :sceptic: I like the engine a lot. It looks like the one from 4512 Cargo Train from 2003.

Edited by Leg Godt Gud

I'm looking forward to this getting this train. A track maintenance train seems like a neat concept. I saw that a few have said it should cost around the same as 7939... I hope not. It looks like it has less going on. Apart from the four rolling stocks, there is only the small truck that goes on the train and a loading station. Doesn't seem like $180 set, at least I hope not. :sceptic: I like the engine a lot. It looks like the one from 4512 Cargo Train from 2003.

You might be right there 'Leg Godt Gud', there doesn't appear to have as much in it as the 7939, but we haven't seen if anything else comes with it ? :wink:

I wonder when Lego are going to make things official ?

You might be right there 'Leg Godt Gud', there doesn't appear to have as much in it as the 7939, but we haven't seen if anything else comes with it ? :wink:

I wonder when Lego are going to make things official ?

I hope it's official soon.

Lego will probably make it official after Maersk train is released in April.

Then we'll know for sure how much it's gonna hurt our wallets for this nice little PF maintance train. :sweet:

No good news on this set, it did not make an appearance at the Melbourne toy fair....if it's still comming it will be more likely a store exclusive and with the number starting with 36....and three other city sets starting with 36 are store exclusives.....do the math ! :sceptic:

No good news on this set, it did not make an appearance at the Melbourne toy fair....if it's still comming it will be more likely a store exclusive and with the number starting with 36....and three other city sets starting with 36 are store exclusives.....do the math ! :sceptic:

Just because it wasn't at the Melbourne toy fair doesn't mean it won't be a regular city set, just that we wont get it in Australia in the next six months. It is very unusual for Australia to get anything first. I've been told that the red train is designed to replace the yellow cargo train when it reaches the end of its run, and it has been seen in the Lego Australia offices already. the 36XX could all be store exclusives, or TLG could just be using any numbers previously unused in blocks as they find them, which I find more likely.

Just because it wasn't at the Melbourne toy fair doesn't mean it won't be a regular city set, just that we wont get it in Australia in the next six months. It is very unusual for Australia to get anything first. I've been told that the red train is designed to replace the yellow cargo train when it reaches the end of its run, and it has been seen in the Lego Australia offices already. the 36XX could all be store exclusives, or TLG could just be using any numbers previously unused in blocks as they find them, which I find more likely.

That might be true, but this information came from a Lego dealer who was only there yesterday, he wasn't offered any thing train related I will check with my other sources this week to see if this set is being made available to them. If it's not on an independents buying sheet, then it will be a chain store....my bet Myer or Toyworld....since they have always carried trains.

Fingers crossed. :wink:

Seems to be a good year for trains,I am very excited about the release of this set,track maint. equipment is always useful. As it looks like a small set,hopefully it will include some trackside structures.And I am loving the retro cargo engine look!

This new train certainly looks great, but why to spend money, lots of money, to design and produce a new train when you already have a nice 7939.

It's simply too early because the 7939 has been in the stores for only a year, and I don't think people would want a new train that often.

And, how are things going for now, the Maersk train is going to be a success, so the 3677 would be a total waste of money for the Lego company.