eiker86

3677 Red Freight Train

This thread was a fun ride from rumor to crazy speculation to denials to being on the store shelves.

Fantastic.

It's a nice train. My only thought is that LEGO is really pumping out the trains and I'm enjoying the variety. It's nice to see LEGO Trains making a come back.

Outstanding!

I'm going to get it when it will be available on the french store. For now, the picture is here, but we can't buy it. :cry_sad:

Edited by Pazoozoo

It's a buy from me, but just for the extra (interesting) carriages and track (seriously, the flex track being used like that is disgusting). The engine itself is going to be lobotomised to give Mr Maersk a hand, me thinks.

it looks like a regular Lego train set to me, really. it's not bad, but i don't think Lego is going to convince non-lego-train fans to get into Lego train with this one...

I don't think TLG would make another train set after releasing the Maersk train set a few months ago. The train doesn't look half bad for a diesel but, I'm sticking with the Maersk.

I don't think TLG would make another train set after releasing the Maersk train set a few months ago. The train doesn't look half bad for a diesel but, I'm sticking with the Maersk.

To be fair, Maersk and Emerald Night aren't really train sets, they're display pieces. Sure you can motorize them but only after quite a lot more expenditure. Not really aimed at the kiddies in the same way as this is.

This does feel more like a supplemental set though, in the same way as the Pig Farmer felt like an add-on to the larger farm from the year before. It seems a little overpriced too when put in comparison to the two sets the year before, would have expected it'd be closer to the passenger train's price point.

Do we have any date of release?

I can see it's available on the German, Austria and Swiss sites, but nowhere else.

Will it be available this month or next month?

Any information?

Edited by Pazoozoo

To be fair, Maersk and Emerald Night aren't really train sets, they're display pieces. Sure you can motorize them but only after quite a lot more expenditure. Not really aimed at the kiddies in the same way as this is.

This does feel more like a supplemental set though, in the same way as the Pig Farmer felt like an add-on to the larger farm from the year before. It seems a little overpriced too when put in comparison to the two sets the year before, would have expected it'd be closer to the passenger train's price point.

I fully agree with that statement, but seeing how the passenger train and cargo train came out close to each other release date wise; I though they would've made this set just a little bit more detailed. But after seeing what they did with the Maersk Diesel, I think they might have made this for the kids, just like you said.

Well, comparing this to another hobby the set seems appropriate.

I used to build model rockets. You only needed the starter kit once. Once you had the launch pad, igniter, etc. then all you needed were the rockets and small accessories.

The starter kits were usually aimed at the junior levels.

I'm thinking the best place to utilise the stupid flex track may be at stations and level crossings. Has anyone tried using flex for road crossings? All my stuff's in storage at the moment so I can't test it out.

May also be able to get rid of some at the harbour area of my town. That'll help free up more of those useful straight sections! :classic:

I'm thinking the best place to utilise the stupid flex track may be at stations and level crossings. Has anyone tried using flex for road crossings? All my stuff's in storage at the moment so I can't test it out.

May also be able to get rid of some at the harbour area of my town. That'll help free up more of those useful straight sections! :classic:

Also try sidings, or anywhere where you don't strictly need straights.

I got a call from Franz Carl Weber today (a Swiss toy dealership). They told me they can't even order the Red Cargo Train. I'll ask Manor if they may carry it. Toys 'r Us is too much out of my way.

Alas, I just ordered it on S@H.

I got a call from Franz Carl Weber today (a Swiss toy dealership). They told me they can't even order the Red Cargo Train. I'll ask Manor if they may carry it. Toys 'r Us is too much out of my way.

And there was me hoping that toppreise would be my saviour.... I guess a couple of S@H and resold elements.

This train is cute but is too expensive, 150€ is overpriced for what you get in the box. :thumbdown:

I will be buying it just so I can hear my wife say "Don't you already have a freight train?"

Answer: don't you already have a pair of earrings/shoes/etc ?

Hi boys,

I am still thinking about the batery box location. It is in front part, but this part is 4-wide like the existing batery box. Correct me if I am wrong, but the sides are red, top is gray? It looks like red sticker on booth sides? Maybe we are looking on prototype, nobody knows:cry_happy:.

5458887719_cfc794f35d.jpg

I am still thinking about the batery box location. It is in front part, but this part is 4-wide like the existing batery box. Correct me if I am wrong, but the sides are red, top is gray? It looks like red sticker on booth sides? Maybe we are looking on prototype, nobody knows:cry_happy:.

Looking at the box photo that was posted here, it shows that the box's main body is indeed completely red without using stickers.

Any news if this is coming to the US?

With the Maersk train, there was a link on lego.com a short time (one or two weeks?) before the train was available. There is a 3677 link on lego.com (at the moment it says: not yet available in the US). So if history is a guide, you should be able to order this train very soon. Some people here have already ordered it via ToysRus.

lego seems to be selling trains so quickly that sometimes certain items are not immediately available, and costumers end up having to wait for train sets, motors, battery boxes, etc.

[guessing mode on:] I think that the sales volume was higher than anticipated, and that to meet demand for trains, they are releasing this train sooner than originally planned. [guessing mode off] (by the way, that would also explain the high price point, if these things are selling like hot pancakes anyway, then they have no reason to make the price low).

In any case, it is quite unprecendented to release a new train when so many train sets are already currently available. Things must be going very well for the lego company.

Edited by hoeij

TRU seems to be playing with my emotions right now. I got the shipping confirmation email today but only half of my order is being shipped. The Red Cargo Train's status is still in "Item(s) located in stock". Hopefully it ships tomorrow because delivery is promised by the July 13th and more importantly, they charged me...

I don't see that a loss leader would work for lego trains, by far the vast majority of purchasers only ever buy one train. Selling that one train at a loss doesn't help much.

And ... what is really new with this train? That one is plain vanilla stuff put together, or what did I miss? Might be a red battery box (well I am not convinced, used black stickers on the box before and oh my they stick well) - yeah - what else is the kick? All pieces that I see are readily available and might be in you collection already.

Did anybody try to build this train from scratch with existing pieces?

Regards,

Thorsten

Edited by Toastie

Nice find my friend, thanks for posting, my favorite is the trailing car and it's cargo, I have 4 sets of the green version.