eiker86

3677 Red Freight Train

We've had quite a few trains in the last several years, more than I can remember in a long time. While trains are not as abundant as the 12V era and perhaps early 9V, they really seem to be making a come-back. Now if LEGO would offer a few different single car/rolling stock sets, that would be awesome.

In terms of 3677, the train almost seems like a mix of single car sets because each wagon seems so different in color, design, and style. While many LEGO Cargo Trains have similar aspects, I find the wagons in this set somewhat unique, almost as if a non-LEGO designer created them. Maybe it's the mix of colors, but I just can't put my finger on it.

Yes +1 to rolling stock or passenger Cars, or even separate Engines like 10020 or 10157.

3677 is very similar to 4512, the Engine, Ballast & Wagon are very similar. I particularly like the Track Repair wagon in the back though, and yes the color mix is funky but I don't mind since most cargo is mismatched anyway in real life. I hope we see some nice cargo though like in the 03 one such as gold bars :wink:

I wish lego would ease off the Gas a bit sometimes...... I doubt I will be able to afford all these trains before they go out of production..... and I 'll be you knowwhatted if I am going to buy a set from a ridiculously over inflated ebay sale.... As nice as this train may be, I can't really understand why TLG can't sell this in parallel to the current cargo train, after all, it's a maintenance train is it not??? *huh*

I think that we can forget about separate cars or engines. After financial problems in the beginning of previous decade LLG introduced new set policy, which limits the number of different sets and or bricks each year. And with all those themes there really isn't any space left for separate cars.

A good idea might train car set similar to santa fe cars, or hobby train set (with more normal colurs) , that is one set, from wich you could mage complete range of cars. Santa Fe manage to have five cars from two sets, and with few additional bricks I'm sure that all could be squeezed into one set.

But I personally am even not that intererested in train cars or engines right now. We've had really A LOT of trains in last few years (Emerald Niht, Cargo Train, Passenger Train, Harry Potter Train, Toy Story train, Maersk Train, new "service" cargo train, so there really is something for every taste.

What I would like is some new trackside structures. So far we had just (poor) level crossing and train stop (I can not call it station because its so small). We really need propes train staion (maybe even "UCS" type - with 10XXX number), locomotive shed, cargo loading station etc... Signals and Ligts packs would be also welcome, not to even mention motorized switches.

And next years winter set could also be train station (with a rerelease of 10173 mybe - if they could do it with Maers ship, why not with Holiday train.

What I would like is some new trackside structures. So far we had just (poor) level crossing and train stop (I can not call it station because its so small). We really need propes train staion (maybe even "UCS" type - with 10XXX number), locomotive shed, cargo loading station etc... Signals and Ligts packs would be also welcome, not to even mention motorized switches.

Some good ideas and I would really love to see them. A signal/sign/light/tree pack would be great !

Just got the second half catalogue in the mail today, page 31 (AU) 3677 Red Cargo Train - it has a RED star which means EXCLUSIVE release in Australia but oddly enough NO release month is listed. But furthermore 7636, 7637, 7338 and 7639 are STILL listed as to 8404 public transport.

Waiting on a call back from Lego Australia.

Brick On !

Great to hear some news about the set

Any indication of price? Was interested in the price of the set compared to other current sets?

I think that we can forget about separate cars or engines. After financial problems in the beginning of previous decade LLG introduced new set policy, which limits the number of different sets and or bricks each year. And with all those themes there really isn't any space left for separate cars.

If TLG needs money, all they need to do is re-release 7750 and a few other gems from ye olde days..

Here is part of the email sent to me by Lego......

"The plan is that it will be released later this year. At the moment we do not have any concrete information when exactly that will be.

The release dates are not included in catalogues in order not to disappoint fans who are waiting for the et to come out when there might be a delay. Also I cannot give you any details about the pricing at the moment."

Oh, so what can we read from this ? :look:

All Lego knows is this year, they don't know how much it will sell for, who will be selling it and what month is it being released officially ? Gee, they are really up to speed there eh ? :laugh:

Anyone in the US or elsewhere that has actual Lego company stores....ask the questions because I have hit a stone wall ! :blush:

Just got the second half catalogue in the mail today, page 31 (AU) 3677 Red Cargo Train - it has a RED star which means EXCLUSIVE release in Australia but oddly enough NO release month is listed. But furthermore 7636, 7637, 7338 and 7639 are STILL listed as to 8404 public transport.

Waiting on a call back from Lego Australia.

Brick On !

any pics?

any pics?

There's only one tiny pic in the catalog. It doesn't really show anything that hasn't been seen before.

There's only one tiny pic in the catalog. It doesn't really show anything that hasn't been seen before.

I see

If TLG needs money, all they need to do is re-release 7750 and a few other gems from ye olde days..

Re-releases of classics have had disappointing sales in the past, they appeal to a much smaller market than new sets. We haven't seen any for a while and I doubt we'll ever see one that in effect would require reviving an obsolete motor and track system.

Love the look and I agree that we can always do with more coaches. That would return these trains to being truly modular without having us resorting to MOC's which can get expensive owing to hard to come by parts.

any pics?

here:

img030cut.jpg

notable things include the truck transport car and hopper loader structure are cut from the catalog image, 7939 is also still there, and the main diorama is the same one from last year.

more scans of the catalog will be provided on request.

I have to say I am still not a fan... sorry, I guess I would just like to see something a bit more classicy from the diesel era... Like a class 37 or something... that new one looks much the same as many that have gone before it..... Or maybe instead of having yet another Bo-Bo we could have had a little Class 8, 0-6-0 (or maybe even a twin set, one with the motor, the other with the battery box, for a bit of novelty like...)

Then again, maybe I should be releived leg have released a set I don't want to rush out and spend my hard earned on.... a bit of light relief for the wallet!!! lol

Thanks for the scan, BrickStorm. I'm relieved to see that the older cargo train is still in the catalogue, meaning that the 'red cargo train' ('work train' or 'maintenance-of-way train' would be more accurate) is not a direct replacement for it. Hasn't it been quite a while since 3 train sets have last been available concurrently -- not counting the exclusive Maersk? This could be a sign that TLG are finding their way and making the Trains subtheme profitable again.

And public transport remains... good.

True! As an aside, I recently noticed that Public Transport went up from GBP100 to GBP105 at TRU, these guys are mad.:enough:

I have heard a rumour from one of my sources, Toys-R-Us might be getting it but I can not confirm this, as TRU have not responded to my emails.

I like this new set so far. I like the design of the locomotive.

But I see more flexi track? :thumbdown:

Maybe in that picture the worker is removing the Flexitrack for the junkyard!

True! As an aside, I recently noticed that Public Transport went up from GBP100 to GBP105 at TRU, these guys are mad.:enough:

On bricklink you can get it for an amazing 55 pounds!