Sign in to follow this  
Berry Syedow

Pirate Names

After a quick google search I came across this site.

There's some unrelated information that may be useful to the non-pirate fans or if you're also into that stuff. :-P ;-)

Some useful information on pirate names:

http://lowchensaustralia.com/names/piratenames.htm

Boat names and nautical terms:

http://lowchensaustralia.com/names/boats.htm#1

Ship names (star wars, pirate, and chinese!):

http://lowchensaustralia.com/names/boats.htm#2

Some links don't work, but most of the good stuff is still there.

One other site that generates ship names:

http://www.springhole.net/generators/pshipnamegen.htm

A good collection of useful links. The random generator coughs up a few odd combinations. It also seems like it's suitable only for pirate or merchant ships; military-esque names don't come up much. A lot of British ships back then had Greek or Roman gods as names (check the National Geographic article on the Battle of Trafalgar for the exact names).

A good collection of useful links. The random generator coughs up a few odd combinations. It also seems like it's suitable only for pirate or merchant ships; military-esque names don't come up much. A lot of British ships back then had Greek or Roman gods as names (check the National Geographic article on the Battle of Trafalgar for the exact names).

Interesting article, Mr. eight! It hadn't occured to me to put a list of "military-esque" ship names. So here we go. *sweet*

This is an interesting assortment of links, however I'm a bit sceptical of this so called name generator because it just coughs out random combinations of names. I've got another Pirate name generator that generates the name based on the name you type into it, rather than just random combinations.

However, the latest this generator gave me is "The Spectral Locust" - and immediately I think its the ideal name for Evil Willy's ship if it ever becomes a ghost ship!

This is an interesting assortment of links, however I'm a bit sceptical of this so called name generator because it just coughs out random combinations of names. I've got another Pirate name generator that generates the name based on the name you type into it, rather than just random combinations.

Precisely what a generator is! Yours sounds neat-o, mind giving us the link if it's not too much to ask? :-P

However, the latest this generator gave me is "The Spectral Locust" - and immediately I think its the ideal name for Evil Willy's ship if it ever becomes a ghost ship!

Ha! You know, a ghostly locust ship isn't a bad idea. The ship could be made to look like the disregarded remains of its old exoskeleton. The head would obviously be the figurehead. ;-) I bet the sails could be made using scotch tape to resemble the "wings". The cannons would protrude from the ship to form the legs of its "body". Alas I am a babbling fool. I still haven't finished those islander mocs! (doesn't help that our house is receiving an appraisal, restricting all my LEGO activities to my insanely small room; [rant]I mean really, it's the smallest room in the house, and I'm over six feet tall. I need more room![/rant]) :-( )

Ahaha, that generator is a riot! Thank ye fer sharin' it!

A few names I typed and the result:

(I automatically add an 'e' when typin' that word... :-P )

slimey pippin: Hobblin' Sully Hornigold

Slimey Pippin: Dancin' Broderick Cutty

Slimy Pippin: High-Pitched Edgar

slimy pippin: Pirate Finn the Well-Tanned

A bunch of gibberish: l;kjagsj'adsfj --> Pirate Casey the Sword Test Dummy *chuckles*

The generator seems to possess amazing variation. Is it even possible to encounter repeats?

No idea! Barely used it, but I'll edit your first post and throw a link in there and see if other users test it.

Captain roger becomes Shoutin Jim Dagger and Shoutin Hayley Dagger as a girl, but what i do not understood is Captain Roger is already a pirate name so why does this generator need to invent a new name for it?

No idea! Barely used it, but I'll edit your first post and throw a link in there and see if other users test it.

Excellent!

Captain roger becomes Shoutin Jim Dagger and Shoutin Hayley Dagger as a girl, but what i do not understood is Captain Roger is already a pirate name so why does this generator need to invent a new name for it?

'"Calico" Brody Hornigold' be yer new name, Ironhook. ;-)

Some intriguing finds I've stumbled upon: animal, dog, parrot, cat, rat, mice, and kraken all begin with "Cap'n" (both male and female)

The first repeat!

pig=Can't-Remember-Where-the-Damn-Treasure's-Buried Radley

ram=Can't-Remember-Where-the-Damn-Treasure's-Buried Radley

There is a limit of 30 characters.

The generator is consistent. Repeating a word sporadically always yields the same result. I even received Ironhook's response when typing "captain roger".

Here's some experiments with my name...

Phes

Male: Cap'n Hugo Mauvebeard

Female: Pirate Juliana the Back-Stabber

Mr Phes

Male: Pirate Laszlo the Engorged

Female: Cap'n Elanor Bluebeard

Well! It turns out that any letter arrangement of a word will churn out the same phrase.

Also, a second and third repeat:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

glass=Pants-Down Elmer

legos=Pants-Down Elmer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

razor=Pirate Burt the Black

hnzoo=Pirate Burt the Black

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The first tip off is that they both have the same letter count just like the previous repeat. Now look what happens when g+l+s are removed (from glass+legos). (It's geometry all over again!) As initially suspected certain letter combinations are assigned a value. For programmers this may be nothing special, however the clueless may find it neat. (Like me. :-P)

g l e o s

as=eo

g l a s s

Now we have a list to fill!

as=eo

rar=hno

pig=ram