allanp

How do you convert a 3d model into bricks?

Hiya guys, I did a quick search but couldn't find anything, so my question is this. Is there any software out there I can download which would enable me to import a 3d model into it (like one made in truespace preferably) and then "legoize" it so I can build it out of bricks.

The reason I ask is that I would like to build very large scale cars with technic workings but an accurate brick built shell. It would also be nice to create VERY large scale things like T-rexes and dragons, real cool looking you know, not bright red!

I know the master model builders have access to such programs, but I have yet to find one.

Thanks.

Right now, there is not even a way to export LDD files to other formats. Even then, it would take a fairly complex algorithm to make something like that happen. Its one of those things that somebody might come up with someday, but if you seriously want to try to do it, try learning python scripting, and maybe using blender with several imported Lego pieces.

~Lalror

I remember there was a program to convert a 3D model to Ldraw. I can't remember how it was called, but I think was written by a university student.

When I get home I will see if I have a bookmark somewhere.

Right now, there is not even a way to export LDD files to other formats. Even then, it would take a fairly complex algorithm to make something like that happen. Its one of those things that somebody might come up with someday, but if you seriously want to try to do it, try learning python scripting, and maybe using blender with several imported Lego pieces.

~Lalror

Note that such a program does exist for Master Builders. One of LLCA's mentioned it at an Ambassador Member session I was at, the 'Legoizer'. Googling that or 'Legolizer' does bring up some results.

Note that such a program does exist for Master Builders. One of LLCA's mentioned it at an Ambassador Member session I was at, the 'Legoizer'. Googling that or 'Legolizer' does bring up some results.

Interesting, I would assume that is how Lego is able to build such accurate large scale models, such as giant minifigs that you see at Lego stores. It must also take things such as stability in to consideration 'cause otherwise you would just have a bunch of 1x1's without any support. Speaking of which, does anybody have or know instructions for a one foot tall "minifig," made from normal Lego bricks. I have done some searching and I haven't found anything yet.

~Lalror

I think you mean something like this:

... does anybody have or know instructions for a one foot tall "minifig," made from normal Lego bricks?

~Lalror

The 3723 LEGO Mini-Figure is taller than one foot, but I think you will enjoy building it. There is a link to the PDF Building Instructions there.

3723-1.jpg

I think you mean something like this:

Yes that's what i'm looking for. It doesn't have to give me precise piece by piece instructions, just the contours in lego scale. Then I can figure out how to make it strong.

Thanks Philo, that Lsculpt program looks promising.

Interesting, I would assume that is how Lego is able to build such accurate large scale models, such as giant minifigs that you see at Lego stores.

Indeed. The example the Master Builder showed the group I was part of was a kneeling life size camel from the Land of Adventure section of the park.

I work at Legoland, the minifig models you are talking about are pretty complex to build, I have built one my self. I don't have instructions, but I have up close picks you want them.

I work with the model builders and I was told the software, lego brick builder, is exclusive to them

There is the excellent LSculpt program from Bram Lambrecht. A tutorial is available here.

Wow thats about as close as you can get to what the masters use :cry_happy: it works great for me. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Nice heads up.

I managed to find this on YouTube:

Good find I just hate it though that every Lego fan isn't able to have access to brickbuilder :wall::cry3::damn:

Resurreciting an old thread here....

I've found the some of the current programs out there that will allow you to upload a 3D Model, and convert it to Lego:

LSculpt

BrickR

Brickify

But they all convert the 3D Model to only Bricks and/or Plates. Is there any out there that use Tiles, Slopes, Curves, etc. Basically the entire Lego parts library???

Bill

Resurreciting an old thread here....

I've found the some of the current programs out there that will allow you to upload a 3D Model, and convert it to Lego:

LSculpt

BrickR

Brickify

But they all convert the 3D Model to only Bricks and/or Plates. Is there any out there that use Tiles, Slopes, Curves, etc. Basically the entire Lego parts library???

Bill

Couldn't you adjust the bricks yourself in LDD to slopes and tiles etc?