Dufresne

Serenity - A LEGO Firefly Creation

I came out of my dark ages a few years ago, post-college, and while I built a few small things here and there, the whole living-in-a-series-of-small-apartments thing meant my LEGO collection remained in storage in my parents' garage, which put a restraint on building. Once I finally moved to an apartment where I had space for my entire collection, I decided I wanted to try something big, something that I loved. I decided to build Serenity, from the movie of the same name and the TV show Firefly.

Having worked on her off and on since October 2010, I finally finished her over Memorial Day weekend, and I wanted to post it here. So here's Serenity.

5846319962_15a15a1768_z.jpg

5845766595_7e90c82e11_z.jpg

5845766759_97b0e61da9_z.jpg

I'm incredibly proud of her, and I hope you all enjoy her as much as I do. More images can be seen at my Flickr photostream.

Edited by Dufresne

Wow, this looks great. My favorite section is the engine, it looks really nice and the light in it is great too!

Good job

AWESOME space ship 'Dufresne', the glowing engine is what takes this over the AWESOME line. :thumbup:

Great work and Brick On 'Dufresne' ! :grin:

Hello!

A very well-done representation of this difficult starship shape. I always considered the bird-like appearance of the "Firefly" a very difficult to build shape. But you've done an excellent job in realising this unique form. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Wow, truly a very impressive creation Dufresne! I really love how you achieved the tricky angles and curves of this ship, particularly the circular engines. The attention to detail is simply fantastic, my favorite is obviously the lighting rear thruster engines. And you even have custom figs to complement this build! You should definitely be proud of this beauty! :thumbup:

Words fail me at times like these when I see great works of art. You did an exellent job capturing Serenity and I think the best feature is the light up engine. :thumbup::thumbup:

Lovely work on that engine! 'Jayne, the man they call... Jayne!' :laugh:

I'm stunned at how amazingly accurate you recreated this old yet trusty ship. I'm at a loss for words as to your attention to detail, you even included the chinese writings at her neck and they way you managed to build the area of the engine is masterful. As are all of the figures representing the crew, which I think you nailed to the point.

Finally, using quotes from both the series and the movie to go with the fotos is a nice detail which adds the icing to the cake :thumbup:

The only thing I'd like to criticise is that you should've added 'I call her Vera' to Jayne describing his beloved gun :laugh:

The only thing I'd like to criticise is that you should've added 'I call her Vera' to Jayne describing his beloved gun :laugh:

Hah, I almost did, but that's actually several lines later than the part where he says, "It is my very favorite gun." I believe it proceeds somewhat like this:

"Are you offering me a trade?"

"A trade? Hell, it's theft! This is the best damn gun made by man. It has extreme sentimental value. It's miles more worthy than what you got."

"What I got? She has a name."

"So does this! I call it Vera."

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle."

Wow. Pure greatness. Do you have an idea about how many pieces you ended up using?

Unfortunately, I have no idea. I wasn't counting as I built it. I can say it's 76 studs long, 46 studs wide, and 22 studs tall at its highest point. (The top of the bridge.) I'm sure that doesn't do a thing to answer your question, but hey, dimensions are fun, right?

Excellent use of those thousands of extra Battle Droid torsos! :tongue::thumbup:

As a fan of Firefly (the movie not so much) I must applaud you for making this fantastic creation and bringing the old gang back to life in LEGO form. It was a great shame such a brave and unique tv-series got cancelled all too soon...

I loved this show, too sad they canceled it after the first season :/

But, anyway, I love your moc, and the first picture with the crew is excellent! great job on it!

I'm incredibly proud of her, and I hope you all enjoy her as much as I do.

Oh my, I am in love with this MOC. This is wonderful. I can not tell you how impressed I am with her.

You have every reason to be proud. :sweet:

Well done on this simply stunning work! Firefly is definitely one of my favorite Sci-fi's of all time, and you brought the Serenity to life just beautifully! Good work mate :thumbup: :thumbup:

This is an amazing tribute to one of the greatest SF shows ever and a really difficult ship! You did a great job. I love all the little details like the weight bench, and of course the stunning engine. The minifigs look great, too.

Amazingly, it all looks like somethin TLG could have actually done, except of course Serenity would have had a thousand or so fewer pieces. Looking at the minfigs especially, I feel like this could have been an actual set.

So now I not only have to feel depressed that Firefly got cancelled, but also that we missed a potentially awesome LEGO theme especially for AFOLs. I need to go drown my sorrows and watch me some Firefly.

Edited by Gryphon Ink

Wow, amazing work, that looks the part!

I was working on the minifigs myself, I was just wondering where that River torso is from?

Ooh, pretty! I happen to be rather partial to a bit of Firefly, so it's great to see this! I like the way you've incorporated some light into the engine, it really takes the whole thing up a notch. Great work!