Tygurah

POTC - Black Pearl!

I hoped at Lego would make that cabin area a bit better than that. Im not gonna get this, the ship made o totally black bricks.... No thanks. But i dont say my final judgment before we see the final production. :pir-classic: I must say at in Vthe Video game, the Pearl looks awesome.

Captain Becker

Well, given that this is a preliminary pic, I'll postpone my judgment. I think it can be a nice ship and the minifigs look good. In any case: the more PoTC sets the better! :pir_laugh2: This line is simply amazing.

I don't dislike the ship cause it doesn't look like the film version, I dislike it because it has nearly the same count as the BSB but looks far worse. If you can build something as nice as the BSB with that amount of pieces then this should be a lot better. I've never been a fan of the Black Pearl, but I think they should have waited to release this in a second wave as a bigger and more expensive set. Still, maybe we will get a large Dutchman set!

Derfel Cardarn

Posted Today, 08:01 AM

I don't dislike the ship cause it doesn't look like the film version, I dislike it because it has nearly the same count as the BSB but looks far worse. If you can build something as nice as the BSB with that amount of pieces then this should be a lot better. I've never been a fan of the Black Pearl, but I think they should have waited to release this in a second wave as a bigger and more expensive set. Still, maybe we will get a large Dutchman set!

I would have to agree that it is quite disappointing and i wish they had waited to make this a more spectacular ship since it is the main ship in the movies. In my opinion i wish they had made a black pearl from the kraken scene in the second movie, that way we would have gotten more of the black pearl crew (not flying Dutchman's crew) and a kraken. I really think that the mini-figures are nice but without a flying Dutchman they are pointless and more Black pearl crew would have been more useful. Also i'm sure many other people as well as myself are disappointed that in the QAR and the BP they have more slots for cannons then they have actual cannons, in my opinion why put cannon slots there just to be empty. It would almost seem that Lego expects us to go out and buy more cannons to complete the ship. All in all it doesn't look terrible but i'm still not sure if it is worth the money.

I was really awaiting the Black Pearl for long long time.

The overview of the ship looks really nice, but not as impressive as the QAR.

The figures are amazing as many said before (especially the Davy Jones).

-Aredhel

I dont care that it's small and a bit boring looking! ITS AWSOME! I catn wait to get this. Davy Jones looked good + hammerhead 1st Mate.

This could easily become my favourite lego set!!

I too can understand the considerable criticism here, but keeping in mind the preliminary boxart, this does not represent what the final product will be so I am indifferent at this stage as to the build.

That said overall the set looks okay.

- I do appreciate the attempt to break the black colour scheme with grey bricks.

- 7 sails is SWEET!

- perhaps some smaller rigging at the back will break up the gap between the helm and the mizzen-mast

- It needs three arched windows on both the port and starboard sides, perhaps each of them raised slightly than the previous as they gravitate towards the stern. Like so:

///// Ω

/// Ω

But I'm anxious how this might turnout, as the actual arch brick above the window is quite wide.

- some sort of deck would be nice, even if it was just a rampart/gangplank kind of thing around the inside of the hull (I think Skull's eye schooner did this)

- railings that continue across the length of the hull I think would be a simple finishing touch to the ship, making it more ornate-looking, and perceivably making the hull-section look higher (i think it sorta does in the pic, but some of the minifigs are obscuring that)

- 3 cannons would be nice, (considering either black seas barracuda or skull's eye schooner had 4 - can't remember).

- If this is the design LEGO are not looking at changing overall, then I would perhaps pay attention to some smaller omissions, such as adding a monkey, glass bottles (RUM!!!), perhaps a single flat brick (like Jack's compass) with a black spot on it; a skeleton perhaps

- oh and torn sails - I know many here want lovely pristine sails, but to turn it from a black morbid ship into the Pearl I think it needs to capture the essence of being a ghostly pirate ship. Ergo, sails with holes and patches (perhaps in a dark brown for the look of stitching).

At first sight this set falls in that category that I solemly hate - the category of "The set is terribly disapointing but you still can't go on without buying it".

Think that sums up my feelings for now.

Cheers

This is disappointing. :pir-hmpf_bad: There was all this hype surrounding this new set and we finally see pics and it's nothing terribly exciting. Lego should have released this with the first wave and saved QAR for the November release. They are probably (but most definitely) making this a strategic Christmas time release so all the kids will be begging for it...However, besides the figures, I don't see much worth begging for... :pirate_sad2:

And while the 3 new figures are great, I would have much rather actual Black Pearl crew, like a new Elizabeth, Pintel, Ragetti, Marty, Cotton, etc. I also hope that the inclusion of Davy Jones and Bootstrap Bill doesn't mean that's the end of PotC Lego...

-Derek

I agree whit brick-a-block, you gotta love those black sails, just think how many great looing pirate ships you can make whit them. :pir-wub:

Im not sure about those three windows at the back, but the overall look on the stern has to be done. I now really wish at Lego would give us that USC Black Pearl set wich would be like that what we see in the video game, and USC Inteceptor.... :pir-wub: Who knows if those might come.

Im actually starting to like the ship, but still not sure about all the black.

Captain Becker

Wow... this is just a big ol' pile of meh. :pir-sceptic:

Small, two cannons, the cabin looks awful... I know this is preliminary but TLG, if you're reading this, you've got a LOT of work to do on the ship. It's very unfinished and that's just a fact. :pir-cry_sad:

The minifigs, on the other hand, are an A+ job! :pir-cry_happy:

For such a major ship as the Black Pearl, they really should have UCSed it or invented some new techniques.

Well, from the outside it is lacking some things. The back mast, empty front, and the cabin are begging for a mod after purchase. Especially the shape of cabin. Of course I don't expect an angled one, but come on, BSB showed that a nice cabin can be slightly boxish.

Davy Jones is absolute perfection, not to mention the black hull (just why 1 piece?). I put my hopes for the back and inside of the cabin. I can swear I see hinges to the left from where the gold windows end. Maybe some interior?

Edited by Squarepants

I agree that it isn't the most detailed pirate ship, but TLG had to work within a price range and this is the result. Yes, it would be nice if it came with enough cannons to fill all the ports, but most kids can't shoot more than two at a time.

In comparing the Black Peark to the QAR, they have the same amount of sails and masts and QAR has one more figure. I like the color scheme of the QAR, but I think the Black Pearl looks good and will probably be more impressive as high resolution pictures come out.

My guess is that the Black Pearl will still sell. The QAR has been doing well since it came out as it is on back order at S@H in the US, and walmart has had a hard time keeping it in stock even though they are charging $140 like TRU.

Thanks for the picture!

The ship is very disappointing. It looks so small and rushed. The cabin is very low, and the whole thing's just really plain. It seems very empty. I hope they change this a lot before the final model.

The figures are decent. The figs they made are excellent, Davy is perfect and the hammerhead guy is great. I wish that instead of the guy with the bandana, they included Tia Dalma or a new Elizabeth, though. I hope the figurehead comes with a new wings mould, and that they change the whole fig to dark bley.

Overall, it's pretty disappointing. It's still a prelim, though, so I'll wait and see. Thanks again!

I have to say that I am very disappointed with this ship. First of all there is not a lot of detail it is just black meh. Secondly I would like to have Davy Jones and hist crew (on the Flying Dutchman) not on the black pearl. It is hard enough trying to find good fleshy pirate torsos that are detailed and would fill out a POTC ship and, besides I really wanted Pentel and Regetti as minifigs. Thirdly, one of my favorite parts of the ship is the stern and it is just butchered. I dearly hope that Lego comes out with another wave that includes the rest of the Black Pearl crew. I also cannot understand why Lego is pushing for the Davy Jones thing when they are coming out with a limited number of POTC sets and Davy Jones was so unpopular. I mean the flying dutchman is cool but, the rest of the beating heart thing and all of the crab people is kind of weird.

I'm real disappointed with this. Minifigures never sell a set to me, and the actual model is incredibly unremarkable. It's not bad, just bland. There's nothing eye-catching about it at all. I understand its supposed to be the BLACK pearl, but come on.

Thank you for the link. However, at this stage, this Black Pearl is still just a preliminary design and based on my past experience and impression which I have gotten when we first saw those POTC preliminaries, it did not make me go crazy but after seeing actual images and actual sets, POTC is now one of my favourite theme.

Even though, the current image did not make me felt so much interested. I felt, there is a "wow" factor missing in there. Apart from the black sails and the highly desired minifigure, Davey Jones, I hope this ship design will be something solid.

Meanwhile, I will just reserve mine judgement until I see a much "confirmed" image!

I haven't watched any of the POTC movies in a while, so I don't really remember the fine details of the Black Pearl. With that out of the way, here are my impressions:

For straight up Pirate fans, this should be quite appealing. The ship has a very classic look to it, and some highly desired parts in black is a huge bonus. My first thought, and as someone else said - it really does look like a black version of Brickbeard's Bounty. I could definitely picture Lee Van Cleef in command of the ship! :pir_laugh2:

From a POTC view, this doesn't stand out to me as being the Black Pearl. Again, my memory is a bit hazy. It's a bit bland looking, but I never thought to myself "this looks bad" or anything. However, as WhiteFang said - this is just a small prelim picture. I know the design won't change much on the final version, but we should reserve final judgment until we have better pics/a review. I personally applaud TLC for coming out with such a popular ship at what should be a slightly more reasonable and thus more accessible price.

From a POTC view, this doesn't stand out to me as being the Black Pearl. Again, my memory is a bit hazy.

As I had watched the trilogy recently, I believed the reason why it was called the "Black Pearl", is because of its exclusive and unique black sails that taunt other vessels. Furthermore, it is the fastest ship in the sea and previously captained by Jack Sparrow, and later, Barbossa. This ship was a blood debt that was part of the deal between Jack Sparrow and Davey Jones, and it was involved in many iconic POTC scenes, such as against the Flying Dutchman in the 3rd movie. Overall, I will think the Black Pearl ought to have more Jack Sparrow's crew, while "hoping" and "leaving" the Davey Jones and his gang onto the "Flying Dutchman" if there is even such a possibilty in the next wave/next year.

Overall, I will think the Black Pearl ought to have more Jack Sparrow's crew, while "hoping" and "leaving" the Davey Jones and his gang onto the "Flying Dutchman" if there is even such a possibilty in the next wave/next year.

Yes, it's a shame the minifig assortment wasn't more appropriate. Here we have lots of Davey Jones and his gang now in multiple sets, but we haven't received some of the more important characters at all.

And I guess what I meant about it not quite 'being' the Black Pearl was more along the lines of this:

Take the Millennium Falcon for example - it's well enough recognized in society that anything even marginally the same shape could be passed off as being the ship. The Black Pearl though hasn't become as well known of an icon, so unless the Lego version were to be very accurate, it could easily be passed off as just a generic pirate ship at first glance. If this weren't part of the POTC line and didn't have the name of the ship slapped across it, I'm not sure many people would know what it's trying to be. Hope that makes sense.